Author Topic: Ultra slug 12 gauge  (Read 1375 times)

Offline Gordy

• Trade Count: (0)
Ultra slug 12 gauge
« on: October 31, 2005, 03:12:06 PM »
I just bought the Ultra slug 12 home it has a rattle in the stock when I draw it up. Would this be a weight in the stock? How would I correct it? Next I am wondering what slugs to start with and which scope goes well with the Ultra. I love the feel of the gun. Thanks for all suggestions. Gordy. :oops:  :grin:

Offline hellacatcher

• A Real Regular
Ultra slug 12 gauge
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2005, 04:29:09 PM »
The weight in the stock is held in place by a wood screw. Take the butt plate off ( two philip screws). That will exspose the weight and the screw should be there also. You may have to retighten.
from Tennessee---Paul

Offline MI.sabot

• Contributor
Ultra slug 12 gauge
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2005, 01:01:14 AM »
My 12 ga USH seems to like the Federal Barnes Expanders the best.
Consistent 1-1/2" groupings at 50 yards.  I haven't had a chance to take it out to a 100 yards yet.

Good results with Copper Solids.

Lightfields were ok, but not as good as the other two and also generated more recoil.

I topped mine off with a 2x7x33 Leupold VXI Scope.

Hope this helps.
Good luck.
H&R Ultra Slug Hunter (12 ga.)
NEF SS Sidekick Muzzleloader (50 cal.)
Remington 870 Express (12 ga.)
Stevens 311-H SxS (20 ga.)
CZ 452 American (22lr)

Offline WNY_Whitetailer

• Look at me I'm white and nerdy
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Working...
    • http://www.dec.state.ny.us/
Ultra slug 12 gauge
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2005, 08:15:05 AM »
Check your PM's..I sent you a reply to your PM.
Patience comes with age and You can't teach common sense

Offline Gordy

Ultra slug gun
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2005, 10:06:35 AM »
Thanks for the replies, I appreciate it. Oh yes, the screw was loose........... on the gun. Have any of you used the Bushnell Dusk to Dawn scope? Regards - Gordy.

Offline WNY_Whitetailer

• Look at me I'm white and nerdy
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Working...
    • http://www.dec.state.ny.us/
Ultra slug 12 gauge
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2005, 01:36:06 AM »
Gordy,

I use the Bushnell Banner 3-9x32 Dusk to Dawn scope on my muzzleloader...I like it.  I live the Trophy better...The Trophy seemed to be brighter than the Banner.
Patience comes with age and You can't teach common sense

Offline Gordy

Trophy scope
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2005, 12:37:41 PM »
Thanks Whitetailer, I am going to Gander today. I will check it out. Thanks all - Gordy.

Offline Paul Mohr

Ultra slug 12 gauge
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2005, 09:31:58 AM »
I have a 1.75-4x32 trophy and like it quite a bit. I have the circle X reticle.

Paul
AKA Psyco Smurf

Offline Gordy

Bushnell Trophy scope
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2005, 11:05:05 AM »
I looked at a Bushnell Trophy that you gents speak of, and it looks great. Is there plenty of eye relief, Everyone says the Ultra kicks a good bit? I was thinking of a shorter scope, but if theres room this looks great. Thanks a million - Gordy.

Offline MI.sabot

• Contributor
Ultra slug 12 gauge
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2005, 01:18:48 PM »
I'm not sure where all that "kick talk" comes from!

If you plan on shooting the high-end 1,900 ft per second shells like Remington Core-Loks or Winchester Partition Golds.....that may be true.

But if your going to shoot the standard sabots like Lightfields, Copper Solids, Federal Barnes Exp. and the rest which are around 1,450 ft per second, the truth be told that the "kick" will probably be less than you experienced with your previous shotgun.

Reason being the weight of the USH will absorb more of the recoil!

If possible get a scope that'll give you around 4" of eye relief that will accomodate whatever velocity round you decide to shoot.
H&R Ultra Slug Hunter (12 ga.)
NEF SS Sidekick Muzzleloader (50 cal.)
Remington 870 Express (12 ga.)
Stevens 311-H SxS (20 ga.)
CZ 452 American (22lr)

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
Ultra slug 12 gauge
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2005, 11:52:13 AM »
The trophy is a fine scope, but if you are looking at the varibles, it is not the best for the handi's! The power adjustment ring is too large and falls directly over the hammer, causing you to have to mount the scope sky high. Its bad enough the engineers at NEF/H&R choose such a high hammer. I hate to make it worse by having to mount a scope so high.

Leupold is my favorite scope, but you do not need to remorgage the house to get one. they have some new models that are just a bit more than the Trophys.

Here is my USH:

Keep shooting it, it will shoot better than 2.5@100 too!!!  I just shot mine tonight. Three shots in one hole w/ Remington Buck hammers!!! It cloverleafed them, easilly under 2". The ultras shoot very well as well, I just wanted to double check it before our opener next wednesday. I normally use the ultras and the hammers for the close stuff. this year its all buckhammers!!!

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline a45gunslinger

• Avid Poster
    • http://www.zippyvideos.com/8333718701028686/000_0452/
Ultra slug 12 gauge
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2005, 05:24:08 AM »
I like the Winchester platnum tip, the golds didn't shoot as well. and yes they do kick but they effectively tun your shotgun into a 45-70. last year i made two clean kills on deer @ 140 yds I was so impressed with them it makes it worth the sting of the recoil and the price :-)  
                                                                 kevin

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
Ultra slug 12 gauge
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2005, 08:40:30 AM »
Gordy, Have you had a chance to go and shoot it any more? If so how is it doing?

Here is a pic of me and a target I shot while doing some testing of 500 S&W loads. the traget on the upper right corner is my USH @ 100 w/Buckhammers!!

Sorry for the quality, its from my cell phone...I forgot the camera that day!!!

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline Gordy

Ultra
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2005, 12:51:55 PM »
I have not, I put the scope on and tried to bore sight through the barrel without luck. Then I took my rifle boresighter and made a piece to go in the barrel. I will shoot it tommorow I hope. - Gordy.