Author Topic: Handled a 20ga Topper Deluxe Classic yesterday afternoon....  (Read 1117 times)

Offline Busta

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
Handled a 20ga Topper Deluxe Classic yesterday afternoon....
« on: October 24, 2005, 10:35:19 AM »
...... and I was very impressed with the fit and finish on this example. The gun locked up tight, shouldered nice and ALMOST came home with me. The guy at the gun counter said they have had a couple of the 12ga ones brought back with complaints of them shooting about a foot low on the patterning boards. Has anyone had that experience with the 20ga? The rib ramped up and then ramped down toward the front sight so I can't see why it would shoot low since the ramp was on the same angle that a plain barrel and bead would be.

I have been wanting one of these for over a year now and would like some comments from anyone who owns one, especially the 20ga. Thanks for any and all replies.
U.S.A.F. Veteran
NRA Life Member

Offline Cookiemann

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Apple Valley, MN
Handled a 20ga Topper Deluxe Classic yester
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2005, 11:48:59 AM »
You are the only one I have heard of that has seen one.  Noone in the area up here has one in stock and most of the guys don't even know about them.  You may just have to snatch it up on faith.
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"

Offline Varminter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2005, 10:00:42 AM »
I can't comment on the 20 gauge but i can on the 12 gauge. I bought mine saturday. It is awesome! I love it. the fit and finish is great. Excellent wood. Lock up is tight; no movement at all. I took it to the range sunday. I shot a box of low brass Federals #8's. It patterned great and shot skeet like a champ. I have no complaints. It will be going on a 4 day squirrel huntign trip friday so i will post a field report next week. I haven't seen a 20 gauge yet but when i do i'm gonna snatch it up. I love these shotguns.

I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6.
The gene pool could use a little chlorine.

DELETED

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2005, 02:24:36 AM »
DELETED

Offline mitchell

• Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2005, 10:00:21 AM »
i'm still looking for one here. but i don't care what report i get form one i'm still buying the first one i see.

BTW what was it selling for???(price)
curiosity killed the cat , but i was lead suspect for a while

Offline Busta

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2005, 03:39:05 PM »
Quote from: mitchell
i'm still looking for one here. but i don't care what report i get form one i'm still buying the first one i see.

BTW what was it selling for???(price)

This gun was at a Sporting Goods Store and I think it was about $180 if I remember correctly. Was thinking that Wally World had them for about $145 but I don't know if they had any 20's yet. I think they are pretty scarce. It was a sweet looking gun though. I don't know if they had any more or not, this one was on display.
U.S.A.F. Veteran
NRA Life Member

DELETED

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2005, 04:39:24 PM »
DELETED

Offline Busta

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2005, 02:08:33 PM »
Had some time to kill today, so I took a little trip up to another Sporting Goods Store and guess what. They had a 20ga TDC on the rack for $159, it was going to come home with me. I asked if they had any more in the back and they did not. :cry:  The display was going to be it UNTIL on further inspection under the trigger lock the trigger guard was cracked and broken part way across. At that point they would not sell me the gun. I would have still bought it and ordered a new trigger guard from H&R, but they would not sell it until it has been fixed. Somebody must not want me to own one of these things. :?  I asked him about ordering another one and he said they are probably at least a month out. :x  I would go back and get the first one but they wanted about $30 more for it. Maybe I'll see if they will match the $159 price? :wink:

They had one of last years 12ga TDC's also. The stock and forend were not checkered like the 20ga and the rib on the twelve ran parallel to the barrel, the twenty's rib ramps up then down toward the bead.
U.S.A.F. Veteran
NRA Life Member

Offline Froghunter

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (36)
  • Contributor
  • .38 Special and .357 S&W Magnum Stuff
I have one!
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2005, 02:39:11 AM »
Busta,

I have about complete a tour in Iraq (two more months to go), and am just returning from R & R leave. I had the wife order it last June from a locate Gun Shop. She finely picker it up in September. The cost was around 175 with GA. tax. I had the first look through e-mail pictures she send me and it looked pretty good, but the question is would it shoot? I arrived on R&R leave the first week of Oct. I planned this around the Fort Stewart deer muzzlerloader season. The first couple of days I hunted and about the last five days I cleaned the families weapons and took the daughter to the range to shoot her Jr. Topper Classic, and the 20 ga. Topper deluxe Classic. "I have a shooter" The walnut wood is excellent on the stock, the metal work is good and fit is excellent too. The ad for the gun said the barrel was 26" long, but my measured 27.5" and has barrel forward balance. Should be good for shooting dove and waterfowl. I was just shooting and not really testing, but it shoot a pretty pattern at 27 yards with federal heavy gameloads, number 8 shot. The future plans are to stripe the stock, add oil finish and leather sling. The gun will replace my 20 ga. Partner, which will go to my boy when he is old enough. I have read in the post that they shot high, but as of now my didn't. Please feel free to ask question about it and I will do my best to answer them.

Thanks!

Froghunter
"Think Positive and Positive Things Will Happen"

"There's Only One Bore Size and That is .357....That's MHO"

Froghunter

Offline Busta

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2005, 04:38:50 AM »
Thanks Froghunter first of all for serving your Country, and secondly for the information.

Yeah, the add said 26" barrel on the 20ga and 28" barrel on the 12ga. I put them side by side and the barrels were exactly the same length. The 12 was balanced slightly better IMO and I feel the 20ga was slightly barrel heavy too, but they both were nice. If the 20 had a true 26" barrel, I bet it would be just about perfect.

Be safe while finishing out your tour and come home safe. Thanks again for all your sacrifices.
U.S.A.F. Veteran
NRA Life Member

Offline dawei

• Contributor
    • My Brothers Rest Here
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2005, 04:54:44 AM »
Quote from: Busta
Had some time to kill today, so I took a little trip up to another Sporting Goods Store and guess what. They had a 20ga TDC on the rack for $159, it was going to come home with me. I asked if they had any more in the back and they did not. :cry:  The display was going to be it UNTIL on further inspection under the trigger lock the trigger guard was cracked and broken part way across. At that point they would not sell me the gun. I would have still bought it and ordered a new trigger guard from H&R, but they would not sell it until it has been fixed. Somebody must not want me to own one of these things. :?  I asked him about ordering another one and he said they are probably at least a month out. :x  I would go back and get the first one but they wanted about $30 more for it. Maybe I'll see if they will match the $159 price? :wink:

They had one of last years 12ga TDC's also. The stock and forend were not checkered like the 20ga and the rib on the twelve ran parallel to the barrel, the twenty's rib ramps up then down toward the bead.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=4003408

Offline Busta

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2005, 05:25:33 AM »
Thanks David but Wally Worlds supplier doesn't have any in stock at the moment. Looks like they are about 1 month out.
U.S.A.F. Veteran
NRA Life Member

Offline ron73644

« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2005, 11:07:31 AM »
Go ahead and get it.  It's worth it.  I have a 12 ga. Topper Deluxe Classic, and I love it just as much as my pumps.  I'm not too good for a single shot like some.  I paid too much for it, though.  I got it through Davidson's Gallery of Guns.  I paid $55 down and $162 @ at the FFL dealers, out the door.  Davidson's does have that lifetime guarantee, though, that if anything goes wrong with it, they will fix it free or send you a new one.

Offline Cookiemann

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Apple Valley, MN
OOOPSS!!
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2005, 12:01:23 PM »
Hate to burst your bubble, ron, but that "Lifetime Warranty" is STANDARD EQUIPMENT with every NEF/H&R that leaves the factory.  It's included in the price.  Next time you may want to go to Wally World and save a couple $$$.  Just my 2 cnets!
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"

Offline ron73644

« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2005, 01:01:15 PM »
WHUUPPPS!!!  AWW,  SH#&^%@#TT!!!  Thanks!

Offline ron73644

« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2005, 01:15:25 PM »
The only thing about Wal-Mart here is that IF you do find someone in the sporting goods dept., they don't know anything about anything.  They have that "far away look" in their eyes, and they don't care if they help you are not.  I've often thought it would be easier to just come in, go find the store manager or asst. manager, and then tell them I want to buy a gun.  Insist on them coming over and taking care of the business themselves.