Author Topic: What is the toughest animal pound for pound in north america  (Read 4453 times)

Offline Savage .250

• Trade Count: (0)
What is the toughest animal pound for pound
« Reply #30 on: September 15, 2005, 01:31:44 AM »
Quote from: BUGEYE
my vote goes to the lowly squirrel.  he may not be the hardest to kill, but he's the hardest to shuck out of his skin.

I was thinking the same think. Saw yours and thought i`d second that.
   " The best part of the hunt is not the harvest but in the experience."
" The best part of the hunt is not the harvest but in the experience."

Offline Heavy Chevy

« Reply #31 on: September 15, 2005, 12:24:28 PM »
brdavis and Savage,

You boys are right on track. If I put the little woman in a small room with a Wolverine, that Wolverine would be hollerin uncle in five minutes.
 I think it's got something to do with child birth.
 They say if a man had every other baby, there would only be three! :)

Butch  HC
Butch  HC

Why me Lord,
 What did I ever do?
 To deserve even one,
 Of the heartaches I''ve known.

Offline Rogue Ram

• Contributor
« Reply #32 on: September 17, 2005, 06:40:24 PM »
NUTRIA!  In terms of a common critter taking bullets & continuing to live, in my experience only, a nutria is one tough critter........solid bone, muscle, pea brain, covered with thick wet fur.

As for other critters, a wolverine is one mean critter that can also absorb lead. My dad had one attack him in the 60s at close range........so close his scope was a hindrance. He hit the thing repeatedly in the non-vitals with a .308 Model 88 Winchester, 7 times........guts blown all over the place, he just couldn't get a round into the right place apparently. 7th shot knocked the thing down and rolled it over a log; he thought that did it. Then it got back up, crawled over the log with blood foaming from its mouth, dragging everything with it, stared at him, then come at him again. He made a dead run for his car over a mile away and never looked back...saved his last round in his last mag just in case.  I've never seen a wolverine, and he had never seen one prior to, or since then, but that episode sure made me a believer in the stories about them being tough and mean.

RR

Offline nealglen37

• Avid Poster
Not sure if these oictures are real
« Reply #33 on: September 20, 2005, 04:58:55 PM »
Not sure if this pic are real..............but if it is................it backs up my theory that a Donkey or mule is the toughest animal............the mule probably carried a 200 pound man all day..........kicked the cougars butt..........then carried the guy.....and the lion........... back off the mountain.

http://urbanlegends.about.com/library/n_mule_1.htm

Offline stuffit

• Contributor
pound for pound
« Reply #34 on: September 20, 2005, 05:46:10 PM »
hands down...... it's a shrew!  Not only ravenous all the time.  agressive, quck and powerful, but venomous as well:
http://pubs.acs.org/cen/critter/8242shrews.html

We are fortunate that they are tiny.  I'll give the wolverines a good strong second place though.  Even brown bears won't contest a wolverine for a meal.
 :wink:
stuffit
Everybody changes their minds sometimes but a fool and a mule.

Deceased

Offline Simple Man

• Contributor
« Reply #35 on: September 28, 2005, 04:21:46 PM »
My pug (or at least she thinks so).  :lol:

Offline 22savage

« Reply #36 on: October 24, 2005, 04:12:42 PM »
beaver
Registration is the first step to confiscation

Offline wolfsong

• Avid Poster
« Reply #37 on: October 24, 2005, 06:56:53 PM »
My wife, when she discovers another new gun in the safe! Anybody got some room in their safe that I can hide one or two in?
GOD BLESS AMERICA AND MAY GOD HELP CALIFORNIA

Offline Bubber

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #38 on: October 31, 2005, 07:28:56 AM »
I don't know, appently none of you have ever dealt with a weasle. If you made a weasle that wieghed 20 pounds, not even a wolvarine would be safe. Any weasle would take a shrew. As far as killing one, they are so small that it does not take much as all modern methods are overkill. But I would be willing to bet that a rat trap would not kill one if they were the size of a Rat.

Offline killdeer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
« Reply #39 on: November 01, 2005, 05:04:34 PM »
HONEYBADGER! if africa counts

Offline Sourdough

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #40 on: November 06, 2005, 10:03:46 AM »
I used to think badgers were bad medicine, till I seen a wolverine caught in a trap.  He had torn up, bit, or clawed everything with-in reach, up to 12 feet above the ground.  He was snarlling, and ready to attack when we drove up on snow machines.  He would run at us, but stop while he had half the length of chain, trying to lure us within his reach.  My friend carries a length of conduit with a wire loop at the end.  He runs a large stick through the loop then shoves it at the wolverine.  While the wolverine is biting the stick he slips the loop over his head and pulls it tight.  Mike started doing that when he was 8 or 9 years old, he has had lots of experience.  Me, I'll shoot them.
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline AlaskaHippie

« Reply #41 on: November 07, 2005, 06:28:35 PM »
Quote from: Bubber
I don't know, appently none of you have ever dealt with a weasle. If you made a weasle that wieghed 20 pounds, not even a wolvarine would be safe. Any weasle would take a shrew. As far as killing one, they are so small that it does not take much as all modern methods are overkill. But I would be willing to bet that a rat trap would not kill one if they were the size of a Rat.

Wolverine's are part of the Mustelidae family, which includes weasels.
Gun control means using BOTH hands....

Offline Brett

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #42 on: November 08, 2005, 04:33:43 PM »
Quote from: wolfsong
My wife, when she discovers another new gun in the safe! Anybody got some room in their safe that I can hide one or two in?

Sure Wolfsong, send a few my way. I promise to take real good care of them.  I'll give them a nice safe warm dry place to rest.  I'll even take them for walks and make sure they are well fed and get plenty of exercise.  :mrgreen:  :wink:
Life memberships:  <><, NRA, BASS, NAFC

Offline Qaz

• Contributor
« Reply #43 on: November 21, 2005, 07:16:09 AM »
"Toughest Animal pound for pound" that is a hard one. If I remember right, a male polar bear is capable of killing the largest prey per pound of body weight. Pound for pound, insects are the deadliest. A wolverine is a tuff customer, A professionally bred and trained Pitbull is really tough and can take the punishment as well.
 My vote goes to the Cockroach!!

Offline mr.frosty

• Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #44 on: November 22, 2005, 01:23:49 PM »
Quote from: TM7
As for cunning, tenacity, persistance of will, beguiling intelligence, memory,subtefuge, trickery, vengence, conviction of deed, etc. "Hell hath no fury like the scorn of a women."

..................................TM7

what he said.....WOMEN!
" People should say what they mean and mean what they say. Life is too short to be lead down the wrong path."