Author Topic: more complete range report  (Read 366 times)

Offline bladerunner

• Trade Count: (2)
  • A Real Regular
more complete range report
« on: November 19, 2005, 02:11:06 PM »
OK,I've shot all 3 calibers now (223 standard,243 superlight and 270 ultra comp)with no O rings all three hit about the same (maybe it's the shooter  :oops: )but I've got all three grouping about 2 and a half to 3 inches (GREAT for the superlight,kinda crappy for the ultra comp) but I've only tried winchester gray box and remington core lokt on the 243 and 270 and winchester white box on the 243 and 223 .still want some federal fusion on the 270......I LOVE MY HANDIS :grin:
Good shot placement + well constructed bullet = DEAD

Matt B.

Offline bladerunner

• A Real Regular
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2005, 04:32:38 PM »
ok,I was guestimating on the group sizes earlier.....i went and measured them

270 ultra comp with remington core lokt = 2" group @ 100yds.
243 superlight with remington core lokt = 2 1/2"
223 standard winchester white box = 2"

Matt B.

Offline myarmor

• Trade Count: (46)
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2005, 04:43:52 PM »
You know I'm going to tell you something. I haven't been shooting Handis for nearly as long as many here-got my first back in the first of the year=223 Ultra.
At first I got frusterated to no end with it, because of sparatic shots. Truns out it was the shooter :x . Yes I was used to only shooting Bolt Action rifles, and man that game didn't play for these sinlge shots. Sense then I have shot them a lot :) over the year, and am feeling more comfortable and at ease. They do have to be shot a little different, and the slim receiver doesn't make it easy to bench sometimes. But practice makes perfect, or at least better. Don't feel discouraged I admit, again, I haven't been here as long as many, but still yet I have seen my share of people buy barrels, being excited about reported accuracy with others in the same, and then they shoot a box of ammo through them and....wait..."it's not doing the same as theirs" :?  :?  :)  Keep up the faith my friend. They will shoot. Patience and practice.
Enjoy them-as I have already seen you do :toast:
Just saying all this cause it's good to see another person excited about these Humble rifles, and I hate to see that vanish in a cloud of frusteration.

Offline myarmor

• Trade Count: (46)
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2005, 05:00:19 PM »
And if this makes you feel better, I just got done shooting my
-06 UltraComp today. Shot both 180gr WInchester Super-X Silvertips and tried some 150gr Remington Core-Loks.  I didn't get to do some serious bench shooting with them cause I wasn't prepared for that-only had some crappy homemade sandbags to shoot off of, and they where wet to boot :) so was I for wading across the river to get to my range :eek: cold isn't even close.
But I got the 180gr Silvertips to shoot Sub MOA at 120 yards and the Core-Loks...well I couldn't do real well with them same size just a hair under 2".
Still haven't tryed the Fusions yet as no one is carring the around here, but I am going to try out the same Silvertips in 150gr this week.

Offline bladerunner

• A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2005, 05:02:59 PM »
heck,i'm not frustrated at all,kinda excited actually......they all outshoot me,lol....i need a good bench rest,right now i'm shooting off a small table a foot and a half off the ground with a body pillow :roll:
I've actually realized it will hang (with all 3 barrels) with my dads winchester model 70 featherweight.
I REALLY do LOVE my handi    :D

I'm hunting with the superlight in the A.M.   :grin:
(out of 270 ammo  :( )

Matt B.

Offline 243tom

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2005, 04:38:48 AM »
Bladerunner,,,,you sound alot like me,, with the unsolid bench and all. I made my own bench and just leave it back in the area where I shoot,,so anyone can use it. But my 223 bull is good for 2" groups too (off the unstable bench and rest) with the Win.Wht. Box  and the Ultramax 50gr HP. Gonna try some Ultramax NBT 50gr next purchase.
Now my 243 bull shot the Hornady 58gr vmax and the 75gr HP into a 2" groups,,but most other ammo was a little more open. Win.silver box 100gr shot okay for a kill zone hit.
I put a Choate tactical stock set on my gun,,,but couldn't get comfortable with the rear stock so I sent it back,, the front forearm is really nice for bench shooting and not too wide for off hand either. I also found a flat plastic washer a filed it to fit over the barrel lug and inside of the fore arm for floating and then added a smaller o-ring. So the barrel is only solid at the hinge area.
I don't get discouraged....I know that from a solid bench these guns will group tighter,,,,it's just much more convienient for me to hike behind the house and shoot there.