Author Topic: Close, but no banana  (Read 407 times)

Offline Haywire Haywood

• Trade Count: (2)
Close, but no banana
« on: November 20, 2005, 03:55:58 PM »
Had to sit and watch a 10 pointer wind his way through some underbrush that was too thick for me to get a good shot thru.

I had just given up for the morning and was packing my stuff up, making all kinds of racket.  I was sitting on a rock ledge looking down a hill and had just kicked about 3 feet of dry leaves off the ledge below the one I was sitting on when I heard something behind me.  I turn around and there's this buck, strolling along 100 yards down the hill, oblivious to the noise I was making.  I hopped up on the ledge (literally), no attempt to mask my motions. The nylon boat seat that I had been sitting on scraped against the rock, making that noise that nylon makes so well.  He doesn't even twitch, just continues to meander along till he crests the hill and heads down the other side.   I think we're going to cut some shooting lanes down that way.  Let him try that trick again during ML season and I'll poke him ever so gently with a 54cal PRB.  :)

Ian
Kids that Hunt, Fish and Trap
Dont Steal, Deal, and Murder

usually...

Offline JPH45

• Trade Count: (0)
Close, but no banana
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2005, 04:02:39 PM »
I hate it when that happens, but especially for me he would have wandered into the shooting lanes my neighbor had been smart enough to cut ahead of time and I would have been the proud recipient of a loud BOOM followed by the hysterical antics of my neighbor as he rubbed it in :roll:
Boycott Natchez Shooters Supplies, Inc

Offline bladerunner

• A Real Regular
Close, but no banana
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2005, 04:21:32 PM »
Haywire,kinda makes ya sick,but hey,at least you knoiw he's there..and apparently DEAF   :-D

Hope ya get him next time :D
Good shot placement + well constructed bullet = DEAD

Matt B.

Offline mjbgalt

• Trade Count: (26)
Close, but no banana
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2005, 04:43:48 PM »
i had a similarly suicidal one come to me, the first year i hunted deer, when i was about 14....i shot 3 times, emptied the slug gun once i realized the first shot missed and the next two, i swore to my dad i hit him.

we searched for blood and found 3 furrows in the ground where the slugs went. lol

i apparently got the worst case of buck fever ever reported.

i still laugh about that with my dad.  :)

that one, however, was at about 35 yards, i hate to admit.

-Matt
I have it on good authority that the telepromter is writing a stern letter.

Offline Crosshair

Close, but no banana
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2005, 05:16:58 PM »
Don't worry mjbgalt, a Co-Worker told me about the time he let his dad shoot his lightweight 270 Weatherby. According to him the conversation went like this.

Co-W: Uh, dad, you might not want to get so close to the scope. The gun kicks quite a bit.
Dad: I know what I'm doing. *BOOM* *WHACK* Ow.
Co-W: Told ya.
Dad: I'll let you shoot this rifle, I'll take mine.

He said his dad thought it would kick as much as a 270 Winchester. He was wrong.

Offline hellacatcher

• A Real Regular
Close, but no banana
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2005, 12:50:30 AM »
Tell every body you are saveing him for the gene pool.
from Tennessee---Paul

Offline Haywire Haywood

Close, but no banana
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2005, 01:54:27 AM »
Quote from: mjbgalt
I shot 3 times, emptied the slug gun-Matt

Glen, the owner of the land I'm hunting, did that this very weekend.  He had a red dot sight on it and apparently it got bumped off.  He missed that 10 pointer 2 weeks go with his scoped 35 Rem at about 40yds.  He took the scope off the 35 and got a button buck this weekend.  He was aiming for the usual heart/lung and got a spine shot.  I'm getting him a limbsaver for his levergun (that thing kicks more than a 35 should), and Badnews Bob and I are going to help him out with sight picture and offhand shooting.  He has problems with astigmatism and focus so I'm going to let him shoot my 45 colt levergun with a peep tang sight installed.  That might be just the ticket to make his eyes behave.

Ian
Kids that Hunt, Fish and Trap
Dont Steal, Deal, and Murder

usually...

Offline Ranger J

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
Close, but no banana
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2005, 03:17:49 AM »
Every once in a while we all have probably shot one that on second thought we should have left in the gene pool to aid hunters in the future.  Several years ago I was setting in a tree stand that my father in law (ex-school shop teacher) had made for me.  It had a steel guard and shooting rail around it and a swivel seat and was so comfortable that I went to sleep.  Sometime later I woke up and there was this doe standing about twenty yards or so from me with her head turned sidewise and a quizzical look on her face.  I am told by my lovely wife that I snore like a chainsaw and I guess this deer couldn’t figure out what it was up in that tree making that God awful noise.  Fatal mistake!
RJ