Author Topic: Help w/ Winchester model 70-270 win Please  (Read 853 times)

Offline llgallagher

• Trade Count: (0)
Help w/ Winchester model 70-270 win Please
« on: November 19, 2005, 05:23:20 PM »
HI, my name is Lori and I am in Texas. I am going hunting on Friday and I am using my grandfather's rifle for the first time. I have never used a rifle with a .270 caliber and wanted to see if any of you could tell me anything about it. I looked online and could not find any pics that look like it. If any of you could give me some direction, I would really appreciate it. It is a Winchester Model 70-270 Win w/ Weaver k-4 1 scope,the wood before the stock is tiny diamonds carved in making a 3 prong shape on the side closest to the trigger and the wood from the top of the rifle is black tipped the a few inches down more diamond like carved design. The serial # is G133XXXX. Thank you ahead of time for any help. Have a great season.
Peace,
Lori

Offline Rogue Ram

• Contributor
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2005, 06:35:36 PM »
We may need a little more to help you identify your rifle. Hopefully you've handled and shot it some??

:D

RR

Offline llgallagher

Winchester 70-270 win
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2005, 11:35:48 AM »
Hi All,
Thank you so much for your feedback. I called my mom and asked her when my grandfather got the rifle and she said that he received it for a retirement present from the engineering dept. at UT in 1970 or so. I am going down to the farm on Thursday and will practice with it. I have shot a .243 and other handguns put not the .270. I was not sure if the kick would be so different as to effect my  accuracy. What kind of ammo is the best for this rifle? My uncle will know when I get down to the farm but I wanted to pick it up before I get there. I am a beginner when it comes to hunting, only have been hunting for three or four years, so I really appreciate all of your advice. Again, Thank you so much.

Peace,
Lori

Offline Ramrod

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2005, 12:55:12 PM »
:D Lori, I'm repeating the answer I gave your question over on the bolt-action forum...
To add to what Just Some Guy posted, the serial # and the forend cap place it as a "1972 model", made from '72-about '78. The .270 is an excellent long range deer caliber. Don't sweat the details, just go out and get your deer with grampa's gun. That's priceless.
As for ammo, I would recommend regular Winchester or Remington 130 grain pointed softpoints. They will kill deer further than anyone should be shooting them.
"Jesus died for somebody's sins, but not mine." Patti Smith

Offline llgallagher

Posted this in bolt action too
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2005, 05:58:15 AM »
Posted this in bolt action. This is not my first hunt; first hunt with grandpa's .270, usually use .243 semi-automatic. Birds and squirrels are nice to look at,  but I am not a bird watcher, I am a deer hunter and fisher, but that's irrelevant. I am a woman and I like to hunt. My grandfather passed away years ago, I hope he is smiling at me using his rifle, I loved him very much.  Oh, I am 27 years old, 5'7, 170 lbs, and have been married almost a year now to my husband Ryan. I am trying to help you all fill out the bigger picture. I am sorry for the lack of info earlier. I think it will help ya'll understand where I am coming from with the above information. I have been hunting for 4 years, so I am just a beginner and I really do appreciate all of your wonderful replies and advice. Below is what I posted in the bolt action forum in response to a nice man' s post. Peace to you all..
Lori
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thank you all for your kind posts and I will definitely let you guys know how the hunt goes. This will not be my first kill. It will be my first buck, if I get one, lol, but not my first kill. I killed a large doe the first time I aimed at a deer. My husband could not even see her in the scope and thought I was crazy, so I shot her and amazed my husband. That was before we were married, I think the long shot got him to pop the question, lol. We are now competitive and so I do not get too much advice from him, in playful fear of him sabotaging my hunt. I like to hunt alone now and he finds that alarming, lol; too much unnecessary noise when two of us in a stand trying to be quiet. Plus he brings the Crown Royal and smokes up and I have dropped those two in hopes to attract more prey. I am at my internship right now and I think I have hunter's fever. I get my license today and 130 grain bullets (?). I think i need a new scope too. The .270 has a Weaver k4 1 on it but I was looking through it and could not see very far. My brother in law drew my name for Christmas and said he would get me one, any suggestions? Okay, I must get back to work. Thank you for all of your replies and hope you all have a wonderful and blessed Thanksgiving. Until I return...with a buck, lol...

Peace,
Lori