Author Topic: Which do you like better, Cabelas or Basspro? And why?  (Read 1336 times)

Offline oktx

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Which do you like better, Cabelas or Basspro? And why?
« on: December 02, 2005, 07:30:35 AM »
??????

Offline clodbuster

• Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
cabellas or bass pro
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2005, 10:20:59 AM »
Cabella's hands down.  Never have been disappointed by goods bought there can't say the same for B.P.  Just visited Bass Pro new store in Council Bluffs IA.  Its dissapointing and other who've been say the same.
They aren't carrying bullets because they are in a pizzin match with Hornady's over price so no inventory until Horny knuckles under(per BP supervisor) I was shocked that he would reveal info like that.  BP might be a hair or hare cheaper but what's dissatisfaction worth?
Preserve the Loess Hills!!!

Offline muzzleblast525

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Contributor
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2005, 11:27:00 AM »
Cabelas....More hunting/shooting products than Bass Pro....

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Which do you like better, Cabelas or Basspr
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2005, 11:43:48 AM »
Cabelas!! There are no retail stores of either anywhere near me,  so this is just for mail order...I've been a Cabela's customer for a long, long time, ....Excellent  customer service, their no questions asked return policy it as good as it gets, and I've returned a fair amount of stuff, usually cuz it didn't fit or wasn't what I really wanted. Have never been disappointed in their products or service and price is usually better than anywhere else if it's not available locally, considering shipping cost. About the only thing I find overpriced is their optics, for the most part.
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Redhawk1

• Life time NRA Supporter.
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (78)
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2005, 05:35:19 PM »
Cabelas, just a all around great store.  :D
If  you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
Jesus Christ and the American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom

Endowment Life Member of the NRA
Life Member NA

Offline New Hampshire

• A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2005, 01:48:25 AM »
Cabelas for hunting/shooting

Bass Pro for fishing.

MidwayUSA is better than Cabelas, (for me) though.  Mostly because I get a discount  :) .

Brian
NRA Life Member
Member Londonderry Fish and Game Club
Member North American Fishing Club
Member North American Hunting Club
Member New Hampshire Historical Society
Member International Blackpowder Hunting Association

Offline Dave in WV

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2005, 06:40:27 AM »
Cabelas. I don't fish and Bass Pro is more fishing oriented. I like the merchandise Cabelas offers better too.
Setting an example is not the main means of influencing others; it is the only means
--Albert Einstein

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2005, 07:00:28 AM »
Quote from: New Hampshire
Cabelas for hunting/shooting

Bass Pro for fishing.

MidwayUSA is better than Cabelas, (for me) though.  Mostly because I get a discount  :) .

Brian

Brian, you must get a heck of a discount to make up for their usually high shipping costs!!

Offline New Hampshire

• A Real Regular
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2005, 12:56:59 PM »
Quote from: quickdtoo

Brian, you must get a heck of a discount to make up for their usually high shipping costs!!

Actually it varies from Ok to "wow".  I just got a Bushnell elite 3200 for my T/C Encore.  Usual price $190.  My price was $150, with shipping I think it was something like $158!  So the shipping isnt bad at all.  Cabelas can be just as bad.  Since they do it by price you pay the same amount of shipping even wether you buy a 6oz, $250 GPS unit or a 40 lb, $250 tent.

Brian
NRA Life Member
Member Londonderry Fish and Game Club
Member North American Fishing Club
Member North American Hunting Club
Member New Hampshire Historical Society
Member International Blackpowder Hunting Association

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2005, 01:06:20 PM »
That's true sometimes, a recent order for 500 .458" bullets comes to mind, Midway wanted $84 shipped for the same order shipped from Cabelas for $71, it pays to shop around. Cabelas bucks come in handy, too! :wink:

Offline Gary in NH

• http://www.angelfire.com/ma3/max357/index.html
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2005, 03:07:57 PM »
I use them along with others. It all depends on what I am looking for, their current prices or sales, shipping/handling fees, and time it will take to get it to me. I use BPS, Cabelas, Midway USA, Natchez, Lock-Stock-Barrel, Sinclairs, and others. I have had good luck with all that I have mentioned and will not hesitate to look at them again for my next purchases.
\"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.\"  by Thomas Jefferson, 1776

Offline Tn Jim

• A Real Regular
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2005, 05:10:48 AM »
Cabelas, hands down. Sometimes Mid South Shooters Supply.
Not all Muslims are terrorist, but oddly enough, all terrorist are Muslims.

Offline 379 Peterbilt

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2005, 03:39:23 PM »
This isnt even a contest. Cabelas hands down for all the reasons already mentioned. Oh and anyone ever notice that when you call them to place an order that you imeadiatly get through to the order takers? I have never been on hold once ever. Very customer freindly, as with any good bussiness.

Offline Daveinthebush

Cabela's
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2005, 04:48:17 PM »
Cabela's!

I once lived in Elim Alaska, 97 miles southeast of Nome.  I had ordered a $280 parka, a knife and something else.  Well they shipped it and nothing made it to Alaska.  Someone probably stole the box.

I called Cabela's and they replaced the entire order with no questions. Pretty good service for me. Thumbs up!
AK Bowhunting Certification Instructor
AK Hunter Certification Instructor
IBEP Bowhunting Certification Instructor

Offline skb2706

• Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2005, 08:14:46 AM »
Cabelas..........but locally Sportsmens Warehouse has more knowledgable sales staff than either of them when it comes to shooting/hunting/reloading items.

Offline oso45-70

Deer Hunting
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2005, 09:49:47 AM »
Quote from: muzzleblast525
Cabelas....More hunting/shooting products than Bass Pro....

This is the way it seems to me.........Joe..............
LIFE NRA BENEFACTOR
LEAA LIFE MEMBER
GOA MEMBER
CCKBA MEMBER
AF & AM
NAHC LIFE
NMSSA MEMBER
ATA MEMBER

Profanity is the crutch of a crippled brain

Offline Savage .250

« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2005, 03:10:35 AM »
With out a shadow of a doubt.............Cabelas.  All of my orders are via
   "shipping" as they do not have a store in central Fl.  Have had a few exchanges for various reasons and they (Cabelas) have always backed their products. No questions asked.
  Bass Pro on the other hand ( They have a store in Orlando) is a horse of another color.      
   I`ve got a Wal-Mart close by that carries enough stuff to get by on. I only use Bass Pro ( 75 miles round trip)  when  I can`t find it locally.
   Nothing like driving down there and finding they`re  out  of stock which happens more and more.  

" The best part of the hunt is not the harvest but in the experience."
" The best part of the hunt is not the harvest but in the experience."

Offline srwshooter

« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2005, 03:25:28 AM »
it depends ,if you're talking mail order i really don't see much differents. both have given me great service and prices on most stuff. i think cabela's is more northern on fishing stuff and bass pro is more southern. but thats perfect for me being from va.

i went to PA.  the cabela store and bps in the same day a few months ago, i found that cabela's is a little higher priced on most things compared
to bps in the stores. but your are not far from NYC prices on everything get higher up north. that's the only cabel's store i've ever beeb in .

now bass pro ,i've been to harrisburg,baltimore,hampton,and charlotte
there all great places to shop.
A LITTLE TIP ---- IF YOU GO TO ONE OF THESE STORES AND TAKE THE WIFE, TAKE A SET OF 2-WAY RADIO'S AND LET HER GO ON HER WAY .
YOU CAN'T ENJOY IT WITH HER IN YOUR EAR.

Offline bullet maker

• A Real Regular
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2005, 03:55:23 AM »
Cabelas--hands down over anybody. All of their products from A-Z, is top notch, in quailty. Even if its imported, its top quailty compared to Bass-Pro.  Us big guys, can find all the hunting clothes in our sizes, from S-5 Extra Large. Try finding that at Bass- Pro, You wont find the bigger sizes at all.

The orginal Bass Pro, is located in Springfield Missouri, 20 years ago, it had top quality goods, since then it has come down hill, in quality products it sales. I was their (Bass Pro) 7 months ago, and I couldnt even find a canteen,  :shock: they had none.

I order alot of goods from Cabelas, have never been disapointed,

bullet maker :D
I like to make bullets, handload, shooting of all types, hunting, fishing, taking pictures, reading, grandchildren, 4 wheeling, eating out often.

Offline slayer

• Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2005, 02:29:14 PM »
I love Cabela`s, the store in Wheeling,WV is awsome!! I order from them also, usually on Sale items. I also love BRS, especially for on sale Fishing Items. I have never been in a Sportsmans Wharehouse store, and getting our first here in Pittsburgh,PA. How are they? are they more like a Gander Mountain? I liie GM also. I use to order form their catalog in the 80`s. Jack.

Offline PEPAW

• Contributor
« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2005, 02:14:46 AM »
Cabelas.   I can order almost everything I need or want and have never had a problem.
The Bass Pro store here in Houston has some incredible sales occassionally, but otherwise their prices are high.   I don't fish as much these days, but if I did I might frequent there stores and catalogs more.

pepaw

Offline txpilot

« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2005, 10:03:01 AM »
I have been to both the Bass Pros in Shreveport, La and the original in Springield, Mo...but the Cabela's in Ft. Worth, Tx beats them both without a doubt.  Cabela's just has more of the stuff I want than Bass Pro.

Offline june6th1944

« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2005, 10:23:59 AM »
Cabela's.  Their clothing is of better quality, but if that's of no concern, buy the Redhead label.  I've got Redhead camo clothing that I use.  However, I've bought everything from New Balance shoes to my gun safe from Cabela's.  I've never been disappointed, and returning mail order is easy if something doesn't fit.  The breadth of their inventory is better, plus their gun room (older guns) is far better.

Offline Blaster50

« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2005, 10:42:49 AM »
gotta love Cabelas
like all the other "big box" stores (food, electronics, home improve, sportsman)
good prices, nice selection and Inventory on hand.
Don't have a Bass Pro around me, but I frequent the new Cabelas W Va. store.

I also like Gander Mountain, have had good experiences there too.
But their web site stinks !

Cabelas has the best web site of the three...

:grin:
shoot the breeze...

Offline Maryland Hunter

• Avid Poster
« Reply #24 on: December 09, 2005, 11:57:22 PM »
Cabelas, by far. We have a Bass Pro 10 min. from my house, and I'll still drive the three hours to the PA Cabelas store. I can walk you in BP right now, and show you shelves that have been empty for 4 weeks! Mis-marked merchandise, items on the wrong shelf with the wrong price, etc. Most of the "pro staff" hasn't got a clue. Cabela's has a much bigger selection, better trained people, "fresh" merchandise, and everything in stock.

MH

Offline armycar01

• Avid Poster
« Reply #25 on: December 10, 2005, 02:16:17 PM »
Online, I go wherever I can find the deals. But going to the store, I have to pick a third choice and say Gander Mountain. It is only 2 hours away, Bass Pro is 3, and I have no idea how far it is to the closest Cabelas, but too far to even consider. Gander Mountain has just about everything I look for,plus a helpful and knowledgeable staff.

Offline Carroll B

• http://www.geocities.com/bayrunner.geo
« Reply #26 on: December 15, 2005, 07:17:20 AM »
I pass a BassPro store every day on the way to work so naturally I shop there a lot.  That said, there is a Gander Mountain store about 100 miles from me and they carry 3-4 times the number of guns and their reloading section is 3-4 times as big.  I think Cableas also has a better selection for hunting in the stores I have stopped in.  The Gander Mountain store in Harrisburg, PA has a good selection of used long guns.  BP doesn't sell any used guns and very few pistols.
Don't give up, Moses was once a basket case.

Home Page www.geocities.com/bayrunner.geo

Offline Maryland Hunter

• Avid Poster
« Reply #27 on: December 15, 2005, 10:00:44 AM »
Carroll B,
I go to Gander Mountain as well, but I hit the one in York, PA. Might be a tad closer than Harrisburg.

MH

Offline Jal5

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (13)
« Reply #28 on: December 17, 2005, 05:31:24 PM »
Havent dealt with BP, but just recently bought a ML online at Cabelas, and four days later it was at my house, regular shipping!  I am very satisfied. Should have signed up for their Cabelas visa card though before the big purchase.  :grin:

Joe
S. G. G. = Sons of the Greatest Generation. Too old to run, too proud to hide; we will stand our ground and take as many as we can with us