Author Topic: Nikon Monarch vs Bushnell Legend  (Read 1874 times)

Offline ohboy

• Trade Count: (0)
Nikon Monarch vs Bushnell Legend
« on: December 18, 2005, 03:16:08 PM »
After doing some homework on binoculars i think i have it narrowed done to two. Either the Nikon Monarch or Bushnell Legends. Most of my hunting is in woods and on field edges. As with deer hunting i am looking for a binocular that will not let me down in low light ( mornings and evenings) when deer move. As far as power i was looking at the 8 x 42 over the 10x42. If you had a choice between they two binos which one do think is better, and would you go with the 8 x 42.

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2005, 05:15:41 PM »
I have the 8x42 Legend and it is one fine binocular. I've used it under all day time hunting conditions and even at night hog hunting and it gets the job done at all times. I had a Leica and sold it to keep the Legend. I'm now using the new Bushnell Elite 10x42 also when I want a little more power but honestly for a woods hunting bino I love the Legend.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline longwinters

• Moderators
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2005, 04:43:25 AM »
I use a set of Swav. binocs, but both my boys have the Nikon Monarchs in 8x42.  I gotta say that I would have absolutely no problem with having a set for myself. . . if I did I would not have bought them for the boys.  I have not checked out the Bushnells, but Graybeards word is certainly good for me.  I think you are in a win-win situation here . . . you can't go wrong either way.  Just get your hands on them, check them out and see which one appeals to you the most.  One thing I would ask though is if the Bushnells have rainguard.  If they do it might sway me that way.

Long
Life is short......eternity is long.

Offline Redhawk1

• Life time NRA Supporter.
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (78)
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2005, 05:33:37 AM »
Go with the 8X42's no matter what brand you chose. I have a pair of Zeiss 8x42 FL and love them. In my opinion the 10X is to much for the wooded hunting areas. My hunting buddy has the Nikon Monarchs in 8x42. He thinks they are great. I looked through them and they are clear and work real good in low light situations. I also looked at the Bushnell Legends and they are just as good as the Nikon Monarchs in my opinion. Either way you go, you won't go wrong.  :D
If  you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
Jesus Christ and the American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom

Endowment Life Member of the NRA
Life Member NA

Offline Zachary

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2005, 01:13:59 PM »
I agree with GB, Longwinters, and Redhawk.  The Legend is a great Bino.  You similarly can't go wrong with the Monarch either.  And finally, I would say go for an 8x rather than 10x.

Zachary

Offline Dave in WV

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2005, 03:11:55 PM »
An 8X binocular will have an edge in clairity and brightness over a 10X one if the objective lens is the same size and all other things are equal. The Legends are great for the money. The Rain Guard really does work. The Optic Zone has great prices on both the Nikon and Legend Binoculars. I bought my son the Bushnell Legend 8X42 and he loves them.
Setting an example is not the main means of influencing others; it is the only means
--Albert Einstein

Offline Danny Boy

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2005, 04:24:30 PM »
Last weekend I compared the Legend and the Monarch 8x42s, the Legend wins hands down. Rainguard has served me well on my scopes.  :D

Danny Boy

Offline Danny Boy

« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2005, 04:14:00 AM »
Quote from: Graybeard
I have the 8x42 Legend and it is one fine binocular. I've used it under all day time hunting conditions and even at night hog hunting and it gets the job done at all times. I had a Leica and sold it to keep the Legend. I'm now using the new Bushnell Elite 10x42 also when I want a little more power but honestly for a woods hunting bino I love the Legend.

I compared the Legend 8x32 with Zeiss Conquest at two different stores. I pick Legend regardless of price. The Legend lens are clear and sharp. Their ajustment dials are tight. I looked at Nikon Monarch in separate times and found them quite good. Can't tell you if the Nikon is better as one must compare them side-by-side.

I want to look at the Pentax DCF SP before I put my money down on the Legend. Anyone tried the Pentax SP?

Danny Boy