Author Topic: handi scope mount  (Read 507 times)

Offline siamese4570

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Avid Poster
handi scope mount
« on: December 04, 2005, 03:49:56 AM »
OK guys, I've got a scope mounting question.  Does anyone make a scout scope rail for a handi?  I want to scope my handi but the eye relief of standard mounts in combination with the recoil of a 45-70 handi makes me a little nervous.  Between the scope mounting holes and rear sight holes there should be enough anchor points.  I currently use a peep sight and firesight combination and have always liked it (very fast/accurate enough).  I've used this combination to shoot 1 1/2 -2" groups at the range, so I know that it will work.   Yesterday I missed the biggest buck that I've seen on a long time due to low light and cloud cover.  The buck was chasing a doe about 100 yards from me.  It was about 7:00am and the sun was still below the horizon.  Right at dawn a heavy cloud cover had rolled in.  I could clearly see the sights (I had the aperture out of the rear sight) but in the woods there was not enough light to let me clearly see the deer.  Plus too, I was shooting through about a 18-24" opening in the trees.  

I think that a 2 power long eye relief scope would be the hot set-up if I could find the mount.

Help!

Siamese 4570

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (67)
handi scope mount
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2005, 04:40:12 AM »
siamese 45/70

You might want to look at this  .

http://www.graybeardoutdoors.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=48679

Should give you a starting point . :D
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline gmcdo

• Trade Count: (0)
handi scope mount
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2005, 06:30:28 AM »
TruGlo makes a 2x power red dot that will fit on existing NEF scope mounts to give a scout mount result.  Claims .50 caliber muzzleloader recoil capability.  2.5 dot size, 27ft FOV and lightweight.  I assume that eye relief is workable but haven't found the eye relief stated anywhere.  Natchez has them for $69.86 .

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline mt3030

• Trade Count: (5)
  • A Real Regular
handi scope mount
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2005, 09:09:14 AM »
Here is another  idea. I mounted this shotgun scope on one of my 45-70s to be able to keep the hammer clear.

Wally

Great Falls, Montana

Deceased 6/2/2007

Offline .308

• Contributor
handi scope mount
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2005, 10:37:48 AM »
Wow Wally, that'n looks about short as your .30-30?? Homemade forend, too??? :D I like it. 8)

Offline mt3030

• Trade Count: (5)
  • A Real Regular
handi scope mount
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2005, 10:55:35 AM »
308:
Thank you. No, not quite as short. This Shikari has been cut to 20 inches, just enough to remove the cleaning rod eye from the barrel. My 30-30 Carbine is 18 inches. The forearm is the standard forarm, with the cleaning rod removed and the hole plugged.

Wally

BEFORE:

Great Falls, Montana

Deceased 6/2/2007

Offline .308

• Contributor
handi scope mount
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2005, 04:42:03 PM »
Kool, I like it. I've also noticed in these last three pics you've posted of your rifles, that they all have straight buttstocks, no pistol grips. They look great that way. Especially the laminated one one the .30-30. That's sharp, too. :wink: I gotta have me one of them straight buttstocks and a M/L forend for my .445 Super Mag. Been thinking about cutting the barrel back to 18". Those stocks would look good on it I think. :idea2: