Author Topic: How's this for a barrel burner?  (Read 1751 times)

Offline R.W.Dale

• Trade Count: (22)
How's this for a barrel burner?
« on: October 01, 2005, 11:34:41 AM »
too bad the website isn't in english but the pictures say it all. Man i wish i could read this website.

http://www.municion.org/Varios/3_5x51Fn.htm

Offline Lone Star

• Reformed Gunwriter
  • Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2005, 05:28:27 PM »
Here is what it says thanks to babblefish:

"During the decade of 1970 they were carried out multitude of experiments with the intention to create a assault rifle - and its corresponding ammunition better than the existing ones. A line of investigation that studied in the preceding decade consisted of using very small and light bullets "microballistic", of between 1,1 and 3mm of diameter and cartridges of size of the one of pistol. The FN, in 1973, proved an intermediate concept. A bullet almost "micro" in an ordinary case of tamño. We suppose that the highest initial speeds had to be obtained, but that decrease very quickly with the distance. In fact sum the disadvantages of the ordinary cartridges (weight, volume and cost) with those of the subcalibers like 223 Rem that was causing complaints in Vietnam (reduced energy, much sensitivity to the wind and the foliage). Finally its study giveave, and we do not have the news that have gone deep much more in this line."

This is one of the typical .14-caliber sub-caliber cartridges, based on a small .223-type case.   I can't see it being any worse than a .22-250 as far as barrel life goes.

Offline NONYA

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2005, 05:55:12 PM »
Im working on my own barrel burner right now,its based on a .416 rem mag case necked down for the .17,think it will work? :)
If it aint fair chase its FOUL,and illegal in my state!
http://www.freewebs.com/lifealongthedge/index.htm

Offline Lone Star

• Reformed Gunwriter
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2005, 06:19:42 PM »
No way - you'll grow old and die before you get enough powder into 20 huge cartridges through those tiny .177" holes....    :-D     :D

Offline jerkface11

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2005, 12:27:17 PM »
Quote from: Lone Star
Here is what it says thanks to babblefish:

"During the decade of 1970 they were carried out multitude of experiments with the intention to create a assault rifle - and its corresponding ammunition better than the existing ones. A line of investigation that studied in the preceding decade consisted of using very small and light bullets "microballistic", of between 1,1 and 3mm of diameter and cartridges of size of the one of pistol. The FN, in 1973, proved an intermediate concept. A bullet almost "micro" in an ordinary case of tamño. We suppose that the highest initial speeds had to be obtained, but that decrease very quickly with the distance. In fact sum the disadvantages of the ordinary cartridges (weight, volume and cost) with those of the subcalibers like 223 Rem that was causing complaints in Vietnam (reduced energy, much sensitivity to the wind and the foliage). Finally its study giveave, and we do not have the news that have gone deep much more in this line."

This is one of the typical .14-caliber sub-caliber cartridges, based on a small .223-type case.   I can't see it being any worse than a .22-250 as far as barrel life goes.

Lonestar you're mistaken. It's 3x51 mm that means it's based on a .308 case.

Offline Reed1911

• GBO Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (18)
    • www.reedsammo.com
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2005, 02:30:07 PM »
Jerk,

Sorry boss, you are wrong. You have to remember that just because the case is 51mm long does not mean that it is based on any case that you think of or that is named (x) x 51. The case is in fact a .223 necked down to .14 caliber. Check the dimensions  :grin:

A .308 cal base is 11.8mm at the head and the .223 is 9.4mm at the head. That is usually the first place I check and move on from there.
Ron Reed
Reed's Ammunition & Research
info@reedsammo.com
www.reedsammo.com

Offline jerkface11

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2005, 02:39:31 PM »
So it stretched 6 mm when they necked it down 2.5 mm?

Offline Lone Star

• Reformed Gunwriter
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2005, 05:11:21 PM »
No one said it "stretched".  More than likely it was based on the 5.6x50 Magnum case - a long, .223-type case.   :D

Offline jerkface11

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2005, 12:23:14 PM »
5.56x50? what's that european 222mag?

Offline riddleofsteel

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2005, 10:46:26 AM »
I saw a .50 BMG case necked down to .22 once at a gun show. The loaded dummy round was in a wildcat cartridge collection. Guy behind the counter said ordinary bullets would vaporize about 50' from the barrel. He had solid bronze bullets turned for it but the barrel burned out before he finished load development. He showed me a picture of the gun. It was a full contour barrel on a rail gun action. Some folks have more money than sense.
...for him there was always the discipline of steel.

They all hold swords, being expert in war: every man hath his sword upon his thigh because of fear in the night.
Song of Solomon 3:8

Offline Reed1911

• GBO Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (18)
    • www.reedsammo.com
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2005, 11:22:22 AM »
Um...yeah. That is just dumb.
Ron Reed
Reed's Ammunition & Research
info@reedsammo.com
www.reedsammo.com

Offline NONYA

« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2005, 03:38:05 PM »
sounds like a fun project to me!
If it aint fair chase its FOUL,and illegal in my state!
http://www.freewebs.com/lifealongthedge/index.htm