Author Topic: .204 Handi rifle  (Read 619 times)

Offline Loki_762

• Trade Count: (0)
.204 Handi rifle
« on: November 25, 2005, 02:24:39 PM »
Does anyone have any experience with the Handi in .204?  I have been thinking about getting one for a couple of months now, and I may finally have the financial means by which to buy one.  I plan on reloading for it, and I will most likely shoot the 39 grain Blitzkings, as I have heard great things about them.  I was thinking about getting a set of either RCBS or Hornady dies, but I am unsure what to get.  I know I need a seating die for the bullet, but I do not know if I should get a full length resizing die, or just a neck sizing die.  For my Savage .223, I just use the neck sizing die, and it works beautifully.  However, I have heard that for break action guns like the Handi, you need to use a full length die.  Can anyone tell me if this is true?  Could I get away with using just a neck sizing die and a seating die?  Any help is appreciated.
Thanks,
Loki

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (67)
.204 Handi rifle
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2005, 02:57:29 PM »
I use FL dies on all of my Handi's just because that is what i started with and that way i keep everything the same .

Their are a few 204s around and from what i have heard they shoot VERY well . Some of the guys had them at the PD shoot last summer and if i remember right they were shooting over 300 yards .
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
.204 Handi rifle
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2005, 03:21:59 PM »
Hmm, seems you've been thinkin on that .204 for more than a couple months!!!  :-D  :-D  :-D  :grin:

http://www.graybeardoutdoors.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?p=318520&highlight=#318520
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline trotterlg

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (36)
.204 Handi rifle
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2005, 03:43:55 PM »
You will probably want to full length size the brass.  The NEF's some times have a little too much give in the action and let the brass expand a little too much to close them on a neck sized only hand load.  You can always just run your full length die down until you get brass that just lets the action lock up.  If they make a factory crimp die in .204 it is also worth the effort to crimp the loaded rounds.  Larry
A gun is just like a parachute, if you ever really need one, nothing else will do.

Offline mitchell

• Trade Count: (8)
Re: .204 Handi rifle
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2005, 03:55:21 AM »
Quote from: Loki_762
Does anyone have any experience with the Handi in .204?  

about 1000's rounds worth. why?? lol

i use cheap lee dies i my 204 (will be upgraded to forster soon)  but i full length resize mine.  my 204 shoots darn good with the hornady 40 grain V-max's and BL-c2 i've never tried the sierra but i hear they are good but i've used both the hornady's and they both good ,easy MOA with both .
curiosity killed the cat , but i was lead suspect for a while

Offline Loki_762

.204 Handi rifle
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2005, 09:07:09 AM »
OOOOHHHH!  Busted by Quick! :)   Yeah, maybe more than a couple of months - but we moved last spring, which shifted my priorities a bit.  But now, I am serious - selling some paintball gear I haven't used in a while, working an extra class period at work, and I finally have a little bit of money to spend towards a gun and scope.  Hopefully, I get the dies for Christmas, and I am golden.  
Sounds to me like I need to ask for a full length die set instead with the Handi, which is exactly what I needed to know.  I guess with that, I can at least get started, and then get a neck sizer later, if need be.  I just want to be ready for ground squirrels in the early spring, and rockchucks in the late spring or early summer.  Maybe even make the prairie dog shoot, if that happens again and I can afford the gas!
Thanks a bunch for the replies - they have been very helpful!
Loki

Offline mitchell

.204 Handi rifle
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2005, 10:01:27 AM »
Quote from: Loki_762
 But now, I am serious - selling some paintball gear

whoa whoa whoa  hold on man handi's mean a lot to a guy but selling your paintball gear?????? are you nuts ???? oh well, what you got??

Offline Loki_762

.204 Handi rifle
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2005, 05:36:19 AM »
Well, Mitchell, I have a Bushy B2K3 w/PDS that I NEVER use, and has never even seen a game.  Got it, got the trigger as short as possible, and then decided that electro guns are not my thing.  Besides, I don't really have any time to dedicate to serious playing anymore any how.  Looking to get in the $180-$200 range, to fund the Handi, but price is negotiable.  Let me know if you are interested

Offline mitchell

.204 Handi rifle
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2005, 08:30:50 AM »
i have three tourny guns so i don't need it but i'll ask the other guys on my team.

BTW i think E-triggers beat everything else out there.