Author Topic: Quarter-Bore Bags a 9  (Read 508 times)

Offline Hildy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Quarter-Bore Bags a 9
« on: November 28, 2005, 10:31:48 AM »
The ol' Two Five-06 turned out to be a deer slayer today, putting down a beautiful 9 point White-tail here in Pa.

I'll bet the deer weighed a good 200 lbs before field dressing. 18 1/2" spread and over-all just a nice 'meaty' rack. Really thick tines and bases.

Just had my first bite of him too...about 45 minutes ago I ate the 'fish' alot of people call it around here. Just the tenderloins located 'inside' the deer along the inside of the spine. But MAN WAS IT GOOOODDDD :grin: Fried up in a pool of butter with a lil onion seasoning.

Just thought I'd let you fella's know how my PA opener went :D

Offline mitchell

• Trade Count: (8)
Quarter-Bore Bags a 9
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2005, 10:45:51 AM »
nice job hildy nice buck

way to get t done!!!
curiosity killed the cat , but i was lead suspect for a while

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
Quarter-Bore Bags a 9
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2005, 12:47:57 PM »
Super Hildy :D

Post some pics of him would ya...

Mac
You can cry me a river... but...build me a bridge and then get over it...

Offline Fred M

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
    • Fred The Reloader and Wildcatter
Quarter-Bore Bags a 9
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2005, 02:33:34 PM »
Hildi
Congrats. The 1/4" bore is super even for big stuff with the right bullets try the 100gr TSX bullets and the 100gr Speer Hot Core, dropped a moose with that one and three deer with the 257 Roberts and two deer with the 25 Hunter all with 100 gr bullets one shot each.

Never got to use my 25-06 this year. I have some pictures but my scanner is not working. The driver will not do its job. I got some bug shutting down the printer and the scanner drivers???
Fred M.
From Alberta Canada.

Offline 218Bee

• Avid Poster
Quarter-Bore Bags a 9
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2005, 06:12:11 PM »
Nice to see somebody get "The Big One" :agree:

Those sweemeats are goooood eating!!

Good job, Hildy.

Rick
An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life.
-- Robert A. Heinlein

Offline Hildy

• Avid Poster
Quarter-Bore Bags a 9
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2005, 08:47:10 AM »
Thanks for the compliments....

I have pictures of it after I brought it back to my house so it's just laying there but I will upload them tonight and post them.

Fred, I used factory ammo for this year actually. Remington Corloct 120 grain. I honestly don't like going that high in grain for my 25 but this season really caught up to me and I didn't have time to reload or resight with other ammo. Bullet performance was not great though it put the 9 down within 40 yards. Bullet entered the last inch or so of the right shoulder and angled back towards the diaphram, taking the lungs and part of the heart, and sticking behind the hide on the other side. The pulled bullet was nothing but jacket with only a little lead smeared on the face. Not my type of deer bullet though it still worked. Next year I will be using 100 TSX up around 3300-3400 if I can get a load.

Went out yet again today to help a few buddies of mine drive out a few miles of woods and fields. We saw 2 buck. One about a 5 or 6 point and the other one I didnt count because it was just so enormous! I was guess around a 22 inch spread from when I saw it. We tried pushing him out of the thicket but he ended up cutting way in front of us and turned into neighboring land we were next to. Thats okay though, I already got my deer :grin:

Should have a pic or 2 up tonight though

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Quarter-Bore Bags a 9
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2005, 08:55:52 AM »
Congrats Hildy, nice goin!! :grin:
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Hildy

• Avid Poster
Quarter-Bore Bags a 9