Author Topic: reloading for 3 calibers in a handi  (Read 595 times)

Offline bladerunner

• Trade Count: (2)
  • A Real Regular
reloading for 3 calibers in a handi
« on: November 29, 2005, 01:43:45 PM »
can anybody tell me the basic thing i would need to reload...I've never wanted to reload before but the handi made me want to....I have gotten to where i like shooting for fun as much as hunting with centerfires (I've ALWAYS loved shooting 22lr) and want to know how much cheaper reloading is,also.....I want to reload for 223,243 and 270...thanks for the help,guys :D
Good shot placement + well constructed bullet = DEAD

Matt B.

Offline Couger

• Trade Count: (77)
/
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2005, 01:58:44 PM »
If it was me I'd go .223, .243 and .30/06 (or .280 Rem) before hanging my hat on the .270.  That is if you ever intend to kill an elk with it!

I have killed two cow elk with the .270W and while "adequate," found I prefer a larger caliber.

Of course next year you could get a .35 Whelen barrel to compliment a .270.

Offline bladerunner

• A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2005, 02:06:38 PM »
couger,I've already got the barrels    :grin:   just need to know what equipment i need to get started in the reloading department,what the equipment would cost,and what brands of reloading equipment....also,since I have NO experiance,how hard is it to learn?

Matt B.

Offline RonO777

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Avid Poster
    • Mr44Mag
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2005, 03:20:49 PM »
Its not hard to learn how to do. If you can follow directions. Take your time and do it in a place where you wont get distracted.
The first thing I would do is pic up a couple of reloading books.
I would start out with a single stage press. You can pic them up used cheap. Im set up and every time I add a new caliber it runs around $100 to get up and going with the new one.

Ron

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2005, 04:33:33 PM »
Matt, here's a previous thread from the Handloading forum that may help you get started...This oughta keep ya outa trouble for a while!!! :-D

http://www.graybeardoutdoors.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=75193

A cost calculator...

http://www.handloads.com/calc/loadingCosts.asp

More resources...

http://www.reload-nrma.com/

http://home.earthlink.net/~dannewberry/dannewberrysoptimalchargeweightloaddevelopment/id7.html
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline .308

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2005, 05:05:38 PM »
This is an inexpensive way to get started, dies, powder, primers, and trimmer pilots are extra. Most Lee dies come with a shell holder. This press will handle all three you mentioned with ease. Do yourself a favor and get a can of 'One Shot' case lube while you're at it, you'll be glad you did. This should get you started. It's a single stage press so volume will be low. If you want large volumes of ammo you'll need a progressive press, and more $ of course.:D  

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=820810

Offline Major

• A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2005, 07:45:53 PM »
And I will interject here, that while you can and do save money and even have lots of fun doing it too, you will probably end up like the rest of us and shoot more which will shoot up the savings.   But don’t let that stop you because without the handloading you wouldn’t be able to shoot that much.   You can also load bullets that may not be loaded from the factory.

Like has been said already, read, read and read some more.   That is the best way to begin.
Deactivated as trouble maker

Offline myarmor

• Trade Count: (46)
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2005, 07:55:54 PM »
After everyone tells you to read and study about it, the only thing they don't tell you is how interesting it actually is. When I first asked this question, I was a little intimadated by all the reading I would have to do. But once you pick up a couple manuels, well perhaps it's just me, they are hard to put down.
They are like mad scientist evil formulas for controlled explosive accuracy :twisted:
Chicks can keep their Vogue and romance novels, give me a good reloading manuel :)

Offline Couger

• Trade Count: (77)
okaaaaaaaaaaay ..............
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2005, 08:04:52 PM »
Getting started .........

Best reloading manual out there to "teach" a beginner might be the Hornady manual.  It has a huge section on what happens when a round is fired and carefully explains that whole process.

Also the Lyman Reloading manuals might be considered a "best buy" with the amount of data they contain.

I had been reloading for many, many many years before I found a book written by a fellow named Boyd Mace, "The Accurate Varmint Rifle."

This book tells the reloader how to fully and completely "condition" your brass to make really accurate handloads.  Once the cases have been conditioned (you only have to do that once!), case stretching and periodic trimming along with chamfering is about all you'll have to worry about.

The biggest thing I strive for when reloading is "CONSISTENCY," which goes a long way to insuring ACCURACY.

RCBS equipment are probably the most popular in the US, although I prefer Redding myself.  I'd stay away from Lee products as I think they're very cheap!  (sorry if I offend many relaoders with that!).

Start with a single stage press like perhaps the RCBS Rockchucker, or Redding Boss presses, and the equipment found in their "starter kits."  But before buying a "kit," study what each piece of equipment is used for before actually buying it!

As for the costs involved, buying primers or powder or bullets in bulk will yeild the most savings.

DON'T IGNORE RECOMMENDED STEPS OR TRY CUTTING CORNERS UNTIL YOU REALLY KNOW WHAT YOU'RE DOING!

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2005, 09:06:49 PM »
All very good advise so-far...but..what no-one has said yet..is just how much equipment you will aquire before your done...and if your like most of us..you  will be buying quite a-bit...but that isn't answering your question...now is it...

Manuals...as many as you can afford to purchase...there really isn't 1 best one...they all contain various tid bits info you'll need to learn,this is why I say get many of them...Barnes..Sierra..Nosler...Hornady's..Speer's...Swifts...Lyman's..all of them are good references...I use them all too...each of them will recommend reloading equipment to you...starter kits are available..from Redding.. Hornady..RCBS...Lyman..Lee...all of them will work..some better for one reason or another..but they all work..and the price will be from cheap...to expensive...just as buying any other type of tools...but ..just as tools go..you get what you pay for..sometimes it is more cost effective to mix and match different manufactures...so don't think you need to buy all 1 type or another..most dies with will work all the presses...there are some things you shouldn't scrimp on in my opinion..that being the dies..and your scales..these need to be the best for obvious reasons..at least for me they do....I'm real picky when it comes to them..I want my dies to be cut correctly and not be out of specs by not sizing them enough or undersizing them over working the case..and I want my scales to be precise to the 1/10 of a grain...and with that..no matter which scale you buy..you need a set of calibration weights to set it..

So...you need a good solid press...and since your loading multiple calibers..I suggest the Hornady Lock and Load or the Forster Co-Ax...or the Redding T7 Turret...all of them are excellent and will last you a lifetime..A good set of dies...I have been a Redding fan for a long time...but have switched to Forster lately..they work much better for me..yup..they cost more..but to me worth every penny for them..A good scale..I've used Hornady's..Lymans..RCBS..Reddings..beam scales..all of them work real good...just get a set of calibration weights for them...for the last year I have been using the Lymans 1200 DPS system..it is awsome...and has cut my realoding time by 1/2 or more...it is expensive as compared to the beam scales..but it is extremely accurate and a breeze to work...A good case trimmer is in order...I use 2 different types...a Wilson...and a Lyman..each of the other companies makes them as well..chamfering and deburring tools...Lee's work...RCBS works..a Powder measure if you don't go with the 1200 DPS will speed up dispensing your charges.and a good powder trickler too...there are several good makes..but I have Hornady's powder measure..and a Reddings trickler when needed...There will be other things you'll pick up when the need arises..if you stay with it...so...besides what I have already said...you need to go see how it's done first hand...and actually see if your willing to start doing this...it will help a-lot...

Mac
You can cry me a river... but...build me a bridge and then get over it...

Offline Duce

• Avid Poster
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2005, 01:24:04 AM »
Bladerunner: There's a lot of good info posted here, I quickly scan about all of it, if I'm repeating something please forgive me.
Check around, many Gun/Conservation clubs offer classes on reloading, Ebay and Gunbroker are great sources of used equipment. Get several catalogs, Cabela's shooters catalog is one, as a price check, so you don't pay retail for used. BE SAFE/Have Fun:  :-) <>< Duce:
What ever you'll put up with, is exactly what you'll get!!!!!

Offline bajabill

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2005, 04:49:57 AM »
I strongly recommend that you start with only one cartridge first.  Get you feet wet, experiment, evaluate the effect of alterations you try.  Sticking with only one cartridge lets you absorb the data better.  Then branch out.

I would start with the 270, since I think -06 cases are quite friendly to load with.  The 243 would be my second choice.  Save the 223 for later, its cheap to shoot already.

Get some measuring tools, that way you can verify to yourself that the cases do indeed change shape after firing.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2005, 06:06:37 AM »
If you decide you want a really good press, one that will last a lifetime and work with any cartridge up to and including the .50BMG, and don't want to break the bank, get the Lee Classic Cast press, you won't be disappointed. It's available from Cabelas for less than $70 shipped. I have it and a Lee Anniversary kit, sold or gave away most of the Anniversary kit, the Classic Cast Press makes the Challenger press that comes with the Anniversary kit look like a toy in comparison!! :wink:

Lee Classic Cast Press

http://www.surplusrifle.com/reviews/leepress/index.asp

http://www.midwayusa.com/midwayusa/applications/eproductreview.exe/GetReviews?productid=317831

Dunno what the last Midway review is about, but the linkage is all steel, not cast. I think the reviewer is referring to an older press, not the currrent Classic Cast press.
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline bladerunner

• A Real Regular
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2005, 01:28:01 PM »
quick,the link took me to the lee classic,but it says
Adjusts for loading handgun or short-rifle cases

will it load the 270?

Matt B.

Offline quickdtoo