Author Topic: Deer Hunting Shotgun?  (Read 685 times)

Offline Froghunter

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (36)
  • Contributor
  • .38 Special and .357 S&W Magnum Stuff
Deer Hunting Shotgun?
« on: December 03, 2005, 08:54:10 AM »
Have to make a decision about a deer hunting shotgun!

1. Sell .308 UHR and buy 20 ga. USHD!

2. Sell .308 barrel and buy 20 ga. USH barrel for SB2 Frame!!

3. Buy 20 ga. Tracker II barrel for 20 ga. TDC!!!

4. Fix my 26” 20 ga. Modified Barrel to the TDC and have it drilled and tapped for scope rail!!!! ( Shoot rifled slugs )

5. Go and buy a 20 ga. Tracker II Slug Gun!!!!!

How about a little help on a decision and your thoughts!
"Think Positive and Positive Things Will Happen"

"There's Only One Bore Size and That is .357....That's MHO"

Froghunter

Offline mitchell

• Trade Count: (8)
Deer Hunting Shotgun?
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2005, 10:26:53 AM »
how about send in for a HEAVY ULTRA SLUG HUNTER BARREL in 20ga $93
curiosity killed the cat , but i was lead suspect for a while

Offline Cookiemann

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Apple Valley, MN
Deer Hunting Shotgun?
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2005, 02:13:00 AM »
What type of deer hunting do you do?  I mean, if you are in a stand most of the time, then weight is no consideration and the USH 20ga would be great.  If you do a considerable amount of walking then I would go with the Tracker II 20ga.  You could pick on of those up for less than $150 from Gander.  If you send off for the USH barrel you're gonna spend over $100 by the time you add in the shipping and fitting charges.  Also, if the price of ammo is a factor,  then the smooth bore barrel would be the way to go, as the rifled slugs are much cheaper.  If it were me,  I would go with the TDC and put in the improved cylinder choke tube.  That would be your quickest and most economical  way to go.
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"

Offline Cookiemann

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Apple Valley, MN
Deer Hunting Shotgun?
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2005, 02:16:45 AM »
BTW,  Welcome aboard.  You picked a great forum join.  Lots of info here and a great bunch of guys.
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"

Offline Markus

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (15)
Deer Hunting Shotgun?
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2005, 03:57:56 AM »
Here's the option that I'd do. Keep the guns you already have and buy a 20 ga tracker 2 if you are a mobile hunter or an ultra slug if you dont mind ccarrying the weight or hunt from a stand.
PROUD REDNECK CONSERVATIVE

I'd much rather be remembered for being a great shot than having the most expensive gun

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
Deer Hunting Shotgun?
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2005, 06:42:01 AM »
Cookieman has a valid and very important question that needs to be answered before we can venture an informed opinion. What type of hunting do you do most and in what type of terrain/cover? How long are the average and exceptional shots going to be? I prefer a 12 gauge smoothbore with Brenneke slugs, at $4.00 a box thats about 1/4 the cost of sabots, very accurate to 50+ yards and a constant and reliable deer killer out to 75 yards. If you can shoot the Remington, Federal, or Winchester rifled slugs accurately out to your deer killing range/distance you can get those slugs on sale for about $2.00 a box or even a little less than that.  H&R still has some smoothbore Tracker I rifle sighted barrels available in 12 and 20 gauge which they "found" somewhere in the factory. I have a 12 and ordered a 20 gauge Tracker I barrel, just because I guess. They are about $50.00. Get back to us with the distance you usually shoot deer at (my average shot in Maine is under 40 yards!!!) and the type of cover you hunt as well as the type of hunting you do, sit on stand all day or still hunt and put on miles a day in the woods through thick stuff. There are several options with these fine little shotguns, each best for a particular type and style of hunter and hunting situation, however each  will work in others situations also....<><.... :grin:
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline Froghunter

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (36)
  • Contributor
  • .38 Special and .357 S&W Magnum Stuff
Deer Hunting Shotgun?
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2005, 09:44:08 AM »
Fellow Single Barrel User,

Thanks for the replies! My preferred hunting method is a climbing tree stand overlooking a scrape or rub line, but in a couple of years this will change because I have a eight year old daughter and a five year son. At that time we will use a ground blind. The hunting I do now is in the Palmetto thickets of coast GA. In the spring I will be moving to central MO. Which I don’t really know the terrain or the patterns of the whitetail, but I can bet they will be in the thick stuff or near it! Answer my own question “Close range, under 75 yards” I think this decision goes a little deeper too. Between 2 and 4 years I will be retiring and plan to go on the road. (RV'ing) By this I mean home schooling the kids and seeing the United States for a minimum of 2 years. Doing this time the wife and I will be looking for a place to put down roots. So space is a concern. No room to tote a lot of weapons. Answer another question “1 gun with accessory barrel” Places we may be staying may not have a good selection of ammunition. “NO Sabot shells or cost a arm & leg”  Thanks Guys, leaning towards the 26” barrel with scope, maybe 1X or 2.5X on the 20 ga. TDC frame. This is still up for discussion and all of your thoughts are welcome!

:D
"Think Positive and Positive Things Will Happen"

"There's Only One Bore Size and That is .357....That's MHO"

Froghunter