Author Topic: Concealed carry method  (Read 1792 times)

Offline jrdudas

• Trade Count: (0)
Concealed carry method
« on: October 09, 2005, 05:58:57 AM »
This question has probably been asked many times, but a search did not find a thread about this specific issue.  

Certainly concealed carry is easier in the winter when more clothing is worn, but even then it seems that there are limitations.  For instance; a winter coat will hide the piece until you need to take it off; what then.  You can wear a sweater or vest, but then you have to keep it on no matter how warm you get.  It seems that the obvious answer is to carry concealed in your pants pocket, but I find few pistols that are small enough to make that comfortable.  Even some .22's are almost too big.  I have a .22 caliber wheelgun (High Standard, 9 shot) and it is almost too big even without an in-pocket holster.  And a .22 would not be my first choice to carry.  At first I thought that summer carry was a more difficult problem, but now I'm beginning to think that the solution to one is the solution to the other.  

I prefer to have my shirt tucked in so that possibility is eliminated.  I think I could be comfortable most of the time by wearing a lightweight vest that would have an inside pocket designed to carry a pistol.  I have also seen the website for a product called "Smartcarry" that looks interesting.  And, since I'm not a shorts kind of guy and usually wear boots, there's the possibility of an ankle holster, but I have read that many folks consider them to be uncomfortable and hard to get to if you need it.  The more I think about it the more I like the vest idea since I frequently wear a vest in cold weather anyway.

Here's my question;  where on your body do you carry, and why do you choose that method?

Thanks in advance for your responses,  JR

Offline williamlayton

Concealed carry method
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2005, 02:29:16 PM »
Pocket, most of the time.
I have a couple of good scabbards which I use when I am dressed for it, but that is rare, well, more and more.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline Dusty Miller

Concealed carry method
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2005, 02:29:30 PM »
An IWB holster with a light shirt or sweatshirt should be just the ticket.  Here in Modesto, CA we have relatively mild winters and I've found that concealed carry is pretty easy to pull off and I don't even have an IWB (gotta do something about that!).
When seconds mean life or death, the police are only minutes away!

Offline rockbilly

Concealed carry method
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2005, 05:10:19 PM »
:D Tere are several small autos on the market that will fit comfortably in your front pants pocket.  I have a AMT Backup in .40 that just fits the ticket.  The P64 Makarov (some folks may disagree, but in my opinion it beats a .22) is a small pistol that is very easy to conceal.  Thats just two, I am sure there are many others that will work.

As for the ankle holster, personally, I would not even consider it.  It is too hard to get to the weapon when you need it.  Its alright for a backup if you have another gun, but never as a place for a primary weapon.  And they make you walk funny.......... :D  :D  :D

Offline obxmike

Concealed carry method
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2005, 04:14:30 AM »
:D  
Hiya!  I share the same woes as you, my friend. I work in a business-casual environment (slacks, tucked in shirt) and IWB carry is not a comfortable option due to my expanding waistline. Every rig I tried was printing badly or pinching my guts whenever I sat or stood. I opted for a S&W 5 shot snub for size and efficacy (340sc .38+p/.357) and carry it in an Uncle Mike's IWB soft holster in my front pocket. The clip on the holster really breaks the outline, and looks like a money clip or a cell phone in your pocket. I make sure any pants I buy have deep enough pockets to not let the handle stick out. I carry every day, and nobody's picked me out yet! IMO, the perfect carry setup...for me at least. Your mileage may vary....

Mike

Offline Sir Knight

• Share what you know & learn what you don't.
    • Triple-F Ranch
Concealed carry method
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2005, 05:36:18 AM »
9mm or .40S&W in a belly band during the warmer months and a .40S&W or .45ACP in a IWB holster during the colder months.
The shortest distance between a problem and a solution is the distance between your knees and the floor because the one who kneels to the Lord can stand up to anything.

Offline Buffalo_Hunter

Concealed
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2005, 10:44:09 AM »
The perfect solution in my opinion is a S&W Centential Airweight revolver in 38 spec.I carry mine is an Alessi Pocket holster with a Bianchi Speed Strip in the opposite pocket.Comfortable,readily available and no one will ever think you are packing.

Offline Nuttinbutchunks

• Contributor
Concealed carry method
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2005, 05:29:26 PM »
I carry a SA Ultra Compact .45 in my waiste band using a holster that clips to my pants under a belt. I wear a pair of pants two inches too big, and the belt keeps my pants from falling down. I leave my shirt un-tucked though. But it conceals my gun quite well.
Ohhhh, I hate when that happens :eek:

Offline Thrawn

Concealed carry method
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2005, 06:01:36 PM »
Para Ordnance  "Carry" LDA .45 in a paddle holster with my shirt un tucked.
I also have a  Airweight S&W 340 PD in .357 in a Uncle mikes pocket holster.

Offline jrdudas

Concealed carry method
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2005, 03:30:41 PM »
Thanks to all for your responses.  I am beginning to like the idea of the S&W .38 in the pocket with a speed loader in the other pocket.  I shoot single action pistols in .38 caliber for Cowboy Shooting, so it would be a short trip to the .38 snubnose.

JR

Offline Mainspring

• Avid Poster
Concealed carry method
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2005, 12:45:34 PM »
I carried a Kahr .40 (M4043) in a Kramer Confidant shirt/holster in a business casual workplace for a number of years.  It worked out very well.  I used the full length model so that I could tuck it in, and it worked out great.  Some buttons on my shirt would probably have been sacraficed if I had ever had to get it out in a hurry, but I could live with that.

I still carry the Kahr in a Galco pancake style holster, weather permitting.  I get hot in stores sometimes when I can't take my jacket off, but it hasn't killed me yet.  When I'm going to be working in particularily "sporty" neighborhoods, I carry a Glock 22 in a Fobus paddle, with two spare mags in an offside Fobus paddle rig.

I must admit though, that I have become a HUGE fan of my second generation KelTec P3AT .380 ACP.  I installed a belt clip on it, and can carry it strong side IWB with just about any clothing combination.  If I'm wearing a belt, the clip goes under the belt to aid in concealment, and to keep the thing from bending and/or gouging up seats, uppolstered or otherwise.  With a tucked in shirt, I just untuck it enough to fold over the beltline a bit, and the KelTec disappears.  If I absolutely cannot carry it strongside IWB, or if it's being carried in back-up mode (now that weather is beginning to permit carry of larger pistols), my el-cheapo Uncle Mikes pocket holster works great in any pocket.  I think that current defensive loads for the .380 come pretty close to many .38 Spc loads, and feel reasonabely well armed  with this little .380.  I've put several hundred rounds through mine, and after a couple of failure to feeds initially during break-in, I haven't had any problems.  The KelTec isn't a Kimber, and it won't win any matches or beauty contests, but for what it is, it excells.  And what it is, is a highly concealable, always there, no excuse to be without it, "OH CRAP" belly gun...something to get me either away from a bad situation, or to my car to get the Glock or the Kahr in my grippers.

Sorry, didn't mean to rant, but that's what I think.
The key to winning a gun fight is to take your time...quickly

If you continue to think as you've always thought, you'll continue to get what you've always got...Is it enough?

Offline Bear Rider

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
Concealed carry method
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2005, 09:30:42 PM »
I carry a full size (5") 1911 under a bloused shirt in the summer, using a Milt Sparks VMII and a 1-3/4 inch belt. I have been doing this for four years now with no difficulty, and in reasonable comfort. The only thing that I notice is a damp spot under the holster when I get home at night. I have an original set of kydex clips in blue, which just match the faded blue of my stone washed jeans. The hardest part of the entire thing is finding a place for a spare magazine.
Flintlock! Anything else is imitation.

Offline rockbilly

Concealed carry method
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2005, 04:26:03 AM »
:D Bear Rider.  You say you have a little wet spot under the holster.  Is the gun blue or stainless?

Carrying a gun as you described would subject it to a lot of moisture (sweat) where I live.  Even if it were stainless it would have to be cleaned and oiled frequently to prevent rust. :roll:

Offline Jim101

• Avid Poster
Concealed carry method
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2005, 02:47:07 AM »
Here in Texas in the summer, the kel-Tec .32 carries well with a belt clip or a pocket holster in cargo shorts.....Winter brings out OWB carry..

Jim
Hi-Point 9mm

Offline Bear Rider

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
Concealed carry method
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2005, 05:28:47 AM »
rockbilly,

The gun is stainless. I keep it cleaned and lubed, so there is no problem with the few part (mostly springs) that are not stainless.

I made the mistake a few years back of loaning a friend of mine a Ruger revolver in blued finish. He carried it in his waistband. Now it has some rust on the exterior.
Flintlock! Anything else is imitation.

Offline Bubba w/a 45/70

Concealed carry method
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2005, 03:37:43 PM »
Glock 36 OWB in a Haugen Handgun Leather M52, with a button shirt untucked.  Spare mag on weakside in an old leatherman tool carrier that has been modified.  

For the times when I can't have this, I use the NAA .22mag derringer in front pocket.  This little gun virtually dissapears in all but the tightest jeans.  And I don't feel undergunned for almost any "OH S%*T" situations.  I've seen the damage on animals this little powerhouse can cause, and it will be enough to get out of the danger zone for most problems.
"I SHOOT BACK!"     Uncle Ted

Offline jimster

Concealed carry method
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2005, 02:33:27 PM »
Full size 1911, sometimes using a IWB holster, sometimes a SOB holster, depending on what I'm wearing. Sometimes I use a vest, but in really hot weather, just a rather loose shirt.
As far as the IWB holsters, any extra weight on you might not be so comfy. I worked my butt off this last year, running, working out ect until all my extra weight was gone, lost about 20 pounds, and an IWB holster is much more comfy now. (plus I can run real fast now!)
I found it is possible to carry a full size 1911 auto, although you need to think a little more about the type of cloths your wearing, but it can be done with some thought and proper fitting cloths for whatever holster you like.

Offline Sir Knight

• Share what you know & learn what you don't.
    • Triple-F Ranch
Concealed carry method
« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2005, 07:41:41 AM »
Quote from: Thrawn
Para Ordnance  "Carry" LDA .45 in a paddle holster with my shirt un tucked.
I've had one for a while and even after a trip back to the factory, it won't function reliabily [sp] with HPs.
The shortest distance between a problem and a solution is the distance between your knees and the floor because the one who kneels to the Lord can stand up to anything.

Offline hobbyist

• Avid Poster
Concealed carry method
« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2005, 04:25:01 AM »
Not one methods fits all situations, but if I had to pick one it would be IWB.

Offline Tn Jim

• A Real Regular
Concealed carry method
« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2005, 05:13:33 AM »
I carry a SA Ultra Compact in 45ACP. I se a Milt Sparks Summer Special II and a Dom Hume 1 3/4" gun belt. Go with a pair of  pants that the waist is 2 inches bigger than what I normally wear. A t-shirt covers it up. It is easier to cover this set up than my spare mag carrier.
Not all Muslims are terrorist, but oddly enough, all terrorist are Muslims.

Offline Greeenriver

• Avid Poster
Concealed carry method
« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2005, 12:35:29 PM »
For me, its always in the same place. ITW on my left side under a vest. This is true in winter or summer. In the winter I wear a long sleve shirt with a vest over it, and in the hottest part of the summer I wear a T-shirt with a light vest over it.  I put on a little over 50 pounds a couple of years ago after I had a little stroke, and have since lost about half of it. before the wieght gain and after hasn't made any difference to my cary position. I havn't worn a belt for years, use suspenders on all my pants, and this distributs the weight well on my sholders and the but forward left side cary allowes me access to the wepon with eather hand. A light vest covers the gun well and I have never been called on having it there. As I shoot a Single Action a couple hundred rounds a month, and an auto maybe one box a year, my normal cary gun is a Single Action Ruger Super Single Six in 32H&R Mag, loaded with Federal JHP's. I cary a half dozen extras in a small hearing aid pouch in my pocket just in case. Some might look down at a Single Action for defence, but I KNOW that I will shoot that Ruger well, and don't need enough lite to see the sights at close range. It will shoot exactly where I point every time. And with no need of specific thought on my part as to which pistol I'm carrying and how it works. Often I also have a PPK .380 in my coat pocket, but that's not the one I reach for first by any reasoning.

I'm not in Law Enforcement going up against criminals delibertly, I'm an old fart looking to protect myself and my wife from aggression. My only purpose in carrying a gun is to defend myself and my wife long enough to get bck to the car for my shotgun, or to make my escape. I'm too old and fat to run, too short winded to fist fight, and too stubborn to just give up what I have worked for all my life.

For me, having my pistol in the same place all the time is one thing less that I have to think about in a moment of stress.

I made my ITW holster for the 32 myself, first from an old glasses case, then from leather and it works good for me.

Greeenriver(Proud member of Grouchy Old Farts With Guns)
Most of life's problems can be handled by a sutiable application of high explosives

Offline papajohn428

• A Real Regular
Concealed carry method
« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2005, 08:32:18 AM »
I've got a DeSantis IWB I use most of the time, but lately I've been using a nylon wrap-around holster on my weak side, butt-foward.  That way I have good access to it when I'm driving, and a coat or vest hides it well enough.  If I had to, I could twist it out with my weak hand, but it might take awhile!  Situations vary, you have to adjust accordingly.

PJ
If you can shoot home invaders, why can't you shoot Homeland Invaders?