Author Topic: blueing?  (Read 502 times)

Offline bladerunner

• Trade Count: (2)
  • A Real Regular
blueing?
« on: December 04, 2005, 04:19:29 PM »
I never noticed this till i got it back from NEF,the blueing is wearing off on the underside of the receiver....a place maybe 2 1/2 inches long and eighth to a quarter inch wide on one edge.....it's getting WORSE,and i can't think of anything it's rubbing on anywher and it has oil on it,so it's not rust...any suggestions?
Good shot placement + well constructed bullet = DEAD

Matt B.

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
blueing?
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2005, 04:42:29 PM »
Could it be that the action was not properly and completely degreased prior to bluing and the blue did not take correctly at that location?...<><.... :?
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline bladerunner

• A Real Regular
blueing?
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2005, 04:49:57 PM »
I suppose it could be,but I've had it for a year with no problems (problems started when i sent it back to NEF for accuracy issues and to get 2 more barrels) wonder if they put it in a vise or something? not scratched just rubbed ( i guess)

Matt B.

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
blueing?
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2005, 05:21:28 PM »
Your right, with that added info it does not sound as if it was improper preparation....<><.... :grin:
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline myarmor

• Trade Count: (46)
blueing?
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2005, 07:09:38 PM »
That is strange. Where or in what, do you store your rifles in?
Cabnet or Cases?

Offline Brett

• Trade Count: (6)
blueing?
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2005, 02:02:33 AM »
Contact CS ASAP and alert them to the problem and see if they will reblue it for you gratis since the blueing was perfect prior to them working on it.  If you make this request in a professional and courteous manner I bet they will do it for you.
Life memberships:  <><, NRA, BASS, NAFC

Offline Ditchdigger

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (12)
blueing?
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2005, 03:24:56 AM »
I hav'nt had any problems with the reciever blueing,but all my new barrels are getting the blueing wore off the sides by just laying them in the back seat of my Geo Tracker. Its a very soft fabric,and none of my other guns have this problem.  Digger
Rest in Peace Old Friend July 2017

Offline bladerunner

• A Real Regular
blueing?
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2005, 04:57:45 AM »
Myarmor,I keep it in a gun cabinet,not a case

brett,I'll call 'em,but I don't really want to send my gun back in the middle of gun season   :(  maybe they'll let me send it back AFTER the season   :-)

digger,I have been sitting it on the seat in my cousins truck,barrel down,receiver on the seat,could very easily be where it happened,but it shouldn't wear off that easily,should it???  IMHO,they should reblue it if it wore off that easily

Matt B.

Offline Ditchdigger

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (12)
blueing?
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2005, 10:21:09 AM »
That may be the problem,resting it on the seat. All of my new barrels have the blueing wearing off. 1 trip of 20 miles on the seat and the blueing is worn off in some places. Lik2hunt and I looked it over good and thats the only way it could have worn off that quick. It was perfect when I got the barrel,but the blueing job looked more like some kind of thin primer coat on it. I have about 4 of the newer barrels and they're all doing it.  Digger
Rest in Peace Old Friend July 2017

Offline bladerunner

• A Real Regular
blueing?
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2005, 10:28:54 AM »
well,I called CS earlier,explained that the blueing was coming off,told her I wasn't sure if it was something they did or possibly something I did and asked how much they would charge me for a re-blue and she said "send it back,we'll re-blue it at no charge" I asked could I wait till after gun season and she said "sure,no problem" so you may want to call them too......ya know,that's one of the best things about NEF is customer service,they are just THE BEST   :grin:  :grin:  :grin:

Matt B.

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
blueing?
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2005, 11:17:31 AM »
They really are great in CS, I wonder if there is some way we all could collectively send them a big Christmas thank you or blessing. They certainly deserve it for making "silk purses out of sows ears" for us with these fine but inexpensive guns. It does seem to me that CS is far better than the manufacturing end of the company, they (CS) seem to keep it all together for them....<><.... :grin: