Author Topic: Wood or plastic stock?  (Read 291 times)

Offline slipshod

• Trade Count: (5)
Wood or plastic stock?
« on: December 04, 2005, 02:29:46 AM »
Hi.I am a new member here.I have a question concerning stocks on handi-rifles.Is there any problems with the wood stock(forend) causing point of impact change in wet weather?Thanks in advance.Randy

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (67)
Wood or plastic stock?
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2005, 04:26:47 AM »
slipshod--- Welcome

I have both wood and sen. , Have not had a problem with either one .

I do find that if i sighted it in when it was warm out , the point of aim will change in cold weather . But that happens with most of my rifles .

If the wood is properly sealed it should not swell to cause a P.O.A. problem .
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline GeorgiaDave

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Wood, synthetic. OR laminated ?
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2005, 10:44:56 AM »
Hello from Georgia,
   I have hunted for extended periods in the rain with wood firearms and never experienced any appearant change in P.O.I. Now I have never taken a gun out to my range while it was raining to see if it would have an effect, but the deer that I have shot while raining (4 as well as I can remember) have all been shot exactly where I was aiming. I am sure that at some point that moisture would have an effect, but I believe that it would take a thorough soaking for some time for there to be enough difference to be an issue. I personally dislike synthetic stocks (fiberglass and "plastic") and have recently taken a huge liking to laminated stocks. To me this is the best of both worlds. Wood that is all but impervious to weather. My H&R Ultra .308 has a very nice laminated and checkered stock that really sets the rifle off.
   Thinking of this post has me considering going down to my range the next time there is a long driving rain for some real life testing. I will post the results !!! Good Luck.

Dave
"Firepower is one carefully placed shot, just make sure that it leaves a big hole."