Author Topic: Survivor Or Ultra Varmint Fluted .223 Rem.  (Read 691 times)

Offline 24kilo

• Trade Count: (0)
Survivor Or Ultra Varmint Fluted .223 Rem.
« on: December 06, 2005, 01:07:19 PM »
Is the Ultra worth the extra 80 or so bucks for the 2" of barrel and the Choate stock?

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2005, 01:46:01 PM »
Welcome to GBO!! :D  That's a matter of personal preference. I don't care for the Choate varmint stock, but it has some nice attributes, mainly the nice forend. The extra 2" of barrel is going to provide a little bette velocity and the fluted barrel sure looks cool!! I have one in .22-250, but I also have a .204 Ruger and .223 Ultra. I prefer the laminated stocks, myself and am thinking about putting as set on the .22-250.

"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline poncaguy

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2005, 03:06:20 PM »
I have 2 fluteds, 204 and 223.Put the Choate stock on my 308 Survivor, my bull barrel 22-250 and my 45-70.These happen to be my most sccurate Handi's...................

Offline cattleskinner

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
  • Contributor
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2005, 03:27:01 PM »
24kilo,

I can't really say too much on the how good one is over the other.  I had a .308survivor, and it shot really good(less than an inch), I just couldn't afford to shoot it.  Now that I'm reloading, I wish I still had it.  If I could afford it, I'd probably get the fluted model now, if I didn't have a stainless .223 that shoots around 1/2"@100yds. for 5 shots.  Mainly just so I could squeeze a little more speed out of it.  I was wondering though, what mos is 24k?  I noticed the Hawk in your avatar, and didn't think that they still had that in the military arsenal.  Lata.

~~~Amos :D
"You can't miss fast enough to win a gunfight"

Offline 24kilo

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2005, 04:09:01 PM »
24kilo01 02 03  Continuous wave radar repair( Hipir tarcking and Cwar Acquisition) , Wep Hawk is gone, But I was in for 11yrs so it kinda sticks, Mainly Germany, Rest of the time Redstone Arsenal AL

Offline myarmor

• Trade Count: (46)
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2005, 08:24:19 PM »
Personally I opted for the Ultra. I too was looking at the Survivor model, but in the end I am VERY happy I went with the Ultra. Just a bit nicer finish and trigger and I am a long barrel freak. But mine has Laminates, which I love. However I love the Choate Varmint as well. Just depends on what you can afford and what you are willing to spend. The fluted Choate is a lot nicer than that of the Survivor, but in terms of performance, it will be close. I like the longer barrels and I went with the 24". Either way the performance will still be there.
Your call
-Aaron