Author Topic: Weatherpersons on TV  (Read 1145 times)

Offline Shorty

• Trade Count: (0)
Weatherpersons on TV
« on: November 28, 2005, 05:44:43 AM »
A pet peeve of mine;
Isn't it bad enough that the weather forecaster wastes my time telling me what the weather WAS today?  I was THERE!  
Isn't it bad enough that the weather forecaster wastes my time telling me what the weather is NOW!  I KNOW that!
No, the worst part is when they feel that they need to inform me that, "It's forty degrees outside, so  be  sure  to  wear  a jacket".  
Or, "It's raining outside, so be sure to bring  your  umbrella"

:x  :x AAARGH, Do they think we're STUPID!

Offline mjbgalt

• Trade Count: (26)
Weatherpersons on TV
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2005, 07:06:35 AM »
i think they add little tips because thats all they do. otherwise they would feel useless. the machines and computers do all the predicting, they just stand there like morons and point. so to make themselves feel useful they have to add stuff.  :grin:

-Matt
I have it on good authority that the telepromter is writing a stern letter.

Offline powderman

Weatherpersons on TV
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2005, 07:30:37 AM »
My pet peave is when they talk about SNOW SHOWERS. Snow flurries, it DOESN'T SHOWER. Nit picky I guess, but it really irritates me. Another thing is when they say a warm front is moving in in the winter, raising the temp to 20, or a cold front in the summer, dropping the temp to 80. POWDERMAN.  :x  :x  :wink:  :wink:  :wink:  :wink:
Mr. Charles Glenn “Charlie” Nelson, age 73, of Payneville, KY passed away Thursday, October 14, 2021 at his residence. RIP Charlie, we'll will all miss you. GB

Only half the people leave an abortion clinic alive.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAiOEV0v2RM
What part of ILLEGAL is so hard to understand???
I learned everything about islam I need to know on 9-11-01.
http://www.thereligionofpeace.com/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDqmy1cSqgo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_u9kieqGppE&feature=related
http://www.illinois.gov/gov/contactthegovernor.cfm

Offline jh45gun

Weatherpersons on TV
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2005, 02:35:36 AM »
Predicting the weather they should say guessing as most of the time the computer gets it wrong anyway at least to a point. They say it may snow or rain on Tue and it does not until Wed or Thurs. Or its supposed to stop and it does not for a couple more days.  :x
Said I never had much use for one, never said I didn't know how to use it.

Offline FWiedner

Weatherpersons on TV
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2005, 04:49:54 AM »
Computers don't predict anything.  They just collect, process, and display information.

Meteorologists interpret that information and pass it on.  It's not an exact science.  It's like the old joke, If you wait 5 minutes, the weather can change.

You may be able to walk outside and decide for yourself if it's raining or a bit chilly, but I feel confident in supposing that the average person doesn't have a clue what the weather might be like next weekend, or how soon a storm front in Canada will wreak havoc in Kansas city.

And yes, there are some people who either don't go outside so frequently that they know whether the sun is shining, or perhaps are not quite smart enough to realize that an umbrella or a jacket might come in handy.

Since Mom ain't there, somebody's gotta tell 'em.

Believe it or not, if little Johnny catches a sniffle, there's a an angry mother out there who will be looking to hang the local weather girl for not telling someone that there's 2 foot of snow and it's 1 degree.

:)
They may talk of a "New Order" in the  world, but what they have in mind is only a revival of the oldest and worst tyranny.   No liberty, no religion, no hope.   It is an unholy alliance of power and pelf to dominate and to enslave the human race.

Offline BamBams

Weatherpersons on TV
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2005, 05:32:46 AM »
In Colorado, they can often be heard saying, "Don't hold me to this, but I think....."

We've had snow in July!
NRA Handgun Instructor

Offline clodbuster

• Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
weather prognosticators
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2005, 10:15:50 AM »
In addition to being mad at the forecaster for not telling them to bundle up junior before sending him out into zero degree weather,  mom will blame the weatherman for the weather.  I can't believe people.
Preserve the Loess Hills!!!

Offline Nixter

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
Weatherpersons on TV
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2005, 03:40:55 PM »
There are two meteorologists on the same network here in Se Wisconsin that are true meteorologists and not just talking heads like on a certain weather channel I see once and awhile.

Granted I don't own a TV but I see our local guys at Mom's once and awhile and they tell you what is going today, tomorrow and next week and WHY.

The fine looking lady I saw on the cable channel at friends house was nice to look at but gave me no real weather news. Granted she may have a degree in weather science but the network might not let her do anything but look good and and tell me to wear a jacket.

I wore my jacket today for what it's worth.

Nixter

Offline Brett

• Trade Count: (6)
Weatherpersons on TV
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2005, 12:44:56 AM »
Weatherman... now theirs a career for you.  In what other profession can you be wrong 50% of the time or better and be considered one of the best in your field.   :-D
Life memberships:  <><, NRA, BASS, NAFC

Offline FWiedner

Weatherpersons on TV
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2005, 03:25:46 AM »
Quote from: Brett
Weatherman... now theirs a career for you.  In what other profession can you be wrong 50% of the time or better and be considered one of the best in your field.   :-D

DNC Chairman

Clergyman

Football Coach

Bookie

Psychic

President of the United States

:)
They may talk of a "New Order" in the  world, but what they have in mind is only a revival of the oldest and worst tyranny.   No liberty, no religion, no hope.   It is an unholy alliance of power and pelf to dominate and to enslave the human race.

Offline RaySendero

Weatherpersons on TV
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2005, 01:45:18 PM »
Weatherman is a dying profession as I only want to watch the pretty women. :mrgreen:
    Ray

Offline rockbilly

Weatherpersons on TV
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2005, 02:18:13 PM »
:D  :D I wouldn't want the job of "predicting" the weather here in Texas.  I have seen rain on one side on my house and shed a drop on the other side.  Spring and fall, it is smart to carry a jacket and maybe a rain coat.  a few years ago we were clearing fence rows, we took a break for lunch about 1 P.M., it was 80 degrees.  A norther blew in and by 4:30 it was near 30 degrees.  I have seen this happen more than once.  I about half way take the advice of the weatherman, I may be warm, but if he says it is cold, then I take a coat.

Like someone said, "If you don't like the weather here in Texas, just stick around it will change in the next few minutes." :shock:

Offline williamlayton

Weatherpersons on TV
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2005, 01:06:53 AM »
The science of weather prediction has gotten better over the years.
I am able to use it to be prepared. I do not count on accuracy for the spot I am standing on. I count on forecast for the area not MY location.
I went to a Cotton Bowl game in 19 and 54. It was 72 degrees when we walked in by half time it was below 32 degrees, I had on a short sleeve shirt.
Today I would think that I could have counted on some information to forewarn me.
What I hate is when they hype the weather/storm warnings/hurricane warnings. They can send panic with misinformation. Just give me the information and some probabilities/reasonable parameters and let me be prepared.
It is called forecasting not "thus says the Lord."
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline Nightrain52

• A Real Regular
Weatherpersons on TV
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2005, 01:26:48 AM »
I always loved it when you get 10in. of what the weatherman said was supposed to be snow flurries. :)  :D
FREEDOM IS WORTH FIGHTING FOR-ARE YOU WILLING TO DIE FOR IT--------IT'S HARD TO SOAR LIKE AN EAGLE WHEN YOU ARE SURROUNDED BY TURKEYS

Offline jmf

• http://www.refinishmilitaryriflestocks.com/
But it feels like...
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2005, 11:04:46 AM »
The "chill factor" and the "heat index" are the ones I love to hate.

"Temperature outside is 38 and the wind chill is 29."  Water freezes at 32 F. no matter what the wind chill is.  And if it's 90, "the heat index says it's 100; it feels like a hundred."

What practical value do these things have?  I think it is just hypeing or making the weather sound like more than it is.

And I can't wait to see one of these yo-yos standing outside in a hurricane get picked up by a gust and carried away.
There is no substitute for a clear conscience
http://www.refinishmilitaryriflestocks.com/

Offline 45454

• Contributor
Weatherpersons on TV
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2005, 07:31:55 PM »
Hi Y'all,
Go down to the river, bring back a nice round river rock.
Set it outside where you can see it :wink: .
Now then you can predict the weather ! :-D
If it's wet, then it's raining.
If you can't see it,it's foggy.
If you can really see it, and it's dry, it's SUNNY ! :grin:
If it's not there, then you have a tornado ! :shock:
These NEW weather rocks are amazing. Uses NO, ZERO, NADA,ZILCH,
power.Operates on it's own.
You just gotta try it.
The old calibers and guns got the job done
Life-United Prospectors Inc
WARTHOG-The Open Range forums

Offline williamlayton

Weatherpersons on TV
« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2005, 10:58:16 PM »
The old pet rock ads come to mind.
They don't require being fed, they don't run off, good door stops, don't break, ect.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline DaveP

Weatherpersons on TV
« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2005, 01:55:07 AM »
Quote from: Brett

Heck,I'll LIE to you for HALF the money they make!

Seems to me that they're weasling more/hedging their bets,than in the past.You know,"IF this front goes slightly this way,we'll get THIS.BUT,if it goes slightly THAT way,then we'll get THIS".Then after the front passes,you'll get "WE NAILED THIS ONE!!!"
I got 3 forecasts from the same guy in the span of 2 minutes this morning.Might get rain tonight,a mix of rain/sleet/snow from 1-3",OR 6-10" of snow.C'mon.Tonight ain't all that far away!

That said,the guys are trying.I like how 2 different meteorologists from the same channel,and using the same meteorolgical data,come up with widely differing forecasts.We USED to have a guy here that was a former/reservist USAF meteorologist.He gave you the straight skinny,and if he didn't know,HE SAID SO!

On the plus side,the "weather readers" are much better looking these days!If I'm going to get lied to,might is well be from some young,good looking gal!

Offline bullet maker

• A Real Regular
Weatherpersons on TV
« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2005, 03:29:30 AM »
Or even an old---good looking gal :)  :) I`m not picky.

bullet maker :D
I like to make bullets, handload, shooting of all types, hunting, fishing, taking pictures, reading, grandchildren, 4 wheeling, eating out often.

Offline gino

• Avid Poster
Weatherpersons on TV
« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2005, 04:11:22 AM »
One summer years ago I kept a record of the Weather Bureau forecasts for rain and compared it to MY forecasts for rain. By feeling the grass in my front yard for dew & looking at the leaves on our silver maple tree I beat the Weather Bureau for accuracy by 5%.
gino  :)

Offline longwalker

• Contributor
whats the weather tomorrow
« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2005, 05:27:20 PM »
Want to know the weather tomorrow ask a roofer!

longwalker