Author Topic: decided on 20 gauge (which one - USH or USH Deluxe)?  (Read 699 times)

Offline TNhunter

• Trade Count: (0)
decided on 20 gauge (which one - USH or USH Deluxe)?
« on: December 04, 2005, 06:49:39 PM »
I've decided to purchase a 20 gauge NEF USH as a Christmas present to myself. Now I need to decide on whether to get the SB1-920 (Ultra Slug) or the SB1-928 (Ultra Slug Deluxe). Looks like the prices (from Walmart) are $184.62 for the USH and $227.62 for the USH Deluxe. Besides the laminated stock is there any difference between the 2 versions? Should I save the $43 and buy some slugs with it or get the Deluxe version? Thanks.

Offline Busta

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
decided on 20 gauge (which one - USH or USH
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2005, 07:23:38 PM »
The Deluxe will have a Harrington & Richardson receiver, checkering on the laminated stock/forend and comes with a sling. They both will shoot the same but IMHO the Deluxe is worth the extra $43. The sling alone would probably cost you $20 - $25 and the checkered laminated stock/forend not only looks nice but are not as slippery in wintery weather. I have a 20ga NEF Ultra Slug Hunter LE (Limited Edition), it has camo laminated stocks w/medallion but no checkering and is a little slippery in snowy weather.

The gun shoots better than any slug gun I have ever owned over the past 30+ years, and I am talking about 1 Browning, 2 Remingtons, 2 Ithacas, 1 Mossberg and 1 SKB.

The USHD is still less expensive than any of the previously mentioned slug guns, even the one purchased 33 years ago.

Buy either one with confidence, they shoot excellent as long as you get a good trigger. Good luck.
U.S.A.F. Veteran
NRA Life Member

Offline TNhunter

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2005, 07:34:46 PM »
I don't guess there is any way of pre-determining if I will wind up with a good trigger since this is a special order gun from Walmart.  If it isn't good - what is the course of action - send it in to the factory for work?

Offline MIdeerhunter

• Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2005, 10:27:49 AM »

Theres a pic of mine in 12 ga., if that stock doesn't draw your attention :eek:  I'd go with the normal USH...lol i just like mine alot, its my most used deer gun, a bit heavy, but the laminate is nice and you don't really have to worry about it swelling and stuff, but I got it mainly for looks...but i think you'd be happy off with the deluxe model..good lucky...they are nice guns
New England Fireams Tracker II plus (USHD) 12 ga
.223 handi rifle
1903A3 Springfield in 6mm rem.
rem. 870 supermag
ruger 10/22
win. x-150
winchester model 88
savage 24

Offline MI.sabot

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2005, 11:06:05 AM »
My son has the 20 ga Youth Model which is not available in the laminate.  I have the 12 ga. Deluxe model.

Side by side... there's no question the deluxe model draws your attention.
In fact he can't wait to upgrade to the adult laminate stock in a couple years.

Buy the one you like....you'll have it for a long time.  If you get the standard model now and decide later you'd rather have the laminate you can do so for around $100.  But if you like the look of the laminate....go for it and spend the $43 now.

One thing is for certain.....you'll have one fine slug gun either way you go!
H&R Ultra Slug Hunter (12 ga.)
NEF SS Sidekick Muzzleloader (50 cal.)
Remington 870 Express (12 ga.)
Stevens 311-H SxS (20 ga.)
CZ 452 American (22lr)

Offline TNhunter

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2005, 06:27:40 PM »
I just ordered the 20 gauge Ultra Slug Hunter Deluxe model.  It should be here in 7-10 days. I'm either going to put a Tasco 4x shotgun scope I have laying around (used to have it on an old muzzleloader) or go ahead and get a Leupold 2x7 to put on it.  If I do put the tasco on it I'll be replacing it with a Leupold (or maybe Nikon) before next year.  Either way - I hope to bag a deer with it before the season is over.

Offline unclecheech

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2005, 07:55:43 PM »
TN Hunter congrats, but they do not have any sporting goods stores locally where you live?(By the way it is lovely there this time of year). At Dunhams, MC Sports, Gander Mountain, and Dick's the USH and USHD are stocked and were going for 150 range here not 4 weeks ago. Maybe checking with a local gun shop for one or finding a "new to you" while there. just my humble opinion. I wish you the best of luck, merry Christmas.
"Yeah, tho I walk through the valley of the shadow of death..."

Offline TNhunter

« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2005, 08:58:53 PM »
None had the 20 gauge USH Deluxe in stock and all were considerably higher than Walmart.  I would have bought it from one of the local shops, but I'd rather put the $50 saved toward that new scope.

Offline MI.sabot

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2005, 02:49:18 AM »
TNhunter:

Excellent choice on the USH.  You won't be sorry.

I put the 2x7x33 Leupold S/G scope on mine and the kid's USH.
You won't be sorry with that choice either!

Keep us posted when you get it in and out to the range.
H&R Ultra Slug Hunter (12 ga.)
NEF SS Sidekick Muzzleloader (50 cal.)
Remington 870 Express (12 ga.)
Stevens 311-H SxS (20 ga.)
CZ 452 American (22lr)

Offline TNhunter

« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2005, 04:35:11 AM »
The Leupold 2x7x33 vx1 shotgun scope is what I'm leaning toward for now and will probably be the one I go with.  I have a 3x9x40 vari-x II on my rifle and 3x9x40 vx1 on my newest muzzleloader and have been happy with both of them.  Now to find some slugs to use in this thing when it gets here.