Author Topic: Exotics in Texas  (Read 1175 times)

Offline njirilodge

• Trade Count: (0)
    • http://www.njirilodge.com
Exotics in Texas
« on: February 28, 2003, 09:00:16 PM »
:? Can someone let me know what is available in Texas.My name is Chris Brand from South Africa and only recently through the forums realised that there were exotics available there.How big are the ranches?what does it cost?What do the authorities have to say about these exotics in your country especially if they had to escape?Do the guys book a 6/10 day hunt there and stay much like they would do here?
Njiri Bow Lodge
Exclusive Bowhunting
Web site: http://www.njirilodge.com
e-mail: enquiries@njirilodge.com

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
Exotics in Texas
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2003, 07:51:03 AM »
You would do better to post this question on my Exotics and Game Ranching Forum.

The folks who post there regularly hunt on such ranches and some even guide on them. I have hunted on some but can't fully answer your inquiry. But then I'm not sure there is a real answer.

Ranches can vary in size from  as little as less than 100 acres up to about 600,000 acres. As to varieties of game available almost but not quite everything that is in Africa and some other places is available in some numbers. Dunno about all of the Big Five but for sure some of them can be hunted in TX.

Hunting is quite different here than there. Lodging is far different. Might be a motel in town or on the ranch in a cabin either. Meals might or might not be provided if on the ranch. Hunt length can be from one day to as long as someone wants to hunt. Hunts for an individual animal rather than a bunch are common.

Please ask again on the Exotics Forum. Denvas lives in TX and hunts regularly on many ranches. Tom has guided and still does I think and also hunted many ranches. Many others who hunt them and live in TX are on that forum.

GB

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline cam0063

• Trade Count: (0)
Exotics in Texas....
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2003, 02:18:15 AM »
Hi njirilodge,

There are many exotic species in Texas, particularly African. ie: Eland, Greater Kudu, Nyala, Wildebeest, Gemsbok, Scimitar horned Oryx, Beisa Oryx, Springbok, Thompsons Gazelle, Dama Gazelle, Water Buck, Bontebok, Zebra, Sable, Roan, Giraffe and Bongo just to name a few!
There is an Association called "the Exotic Wildlife Association" based @ Ingram Texas. They represent Ranchers, Guides/Outfitters, Conservationsists and other interested peoples. Their web address is http://www.exoticwildlifeassociation.com

Yes Lodging and Meals can vary from ranch to ranch and ranches will be found from the basic to the all inclusive... I have visited Sth African Game ranches/reserves and would say that there are similarities in lodging, but I would call it - Africa Texas style! Very enjoyable.....

I am a member of the EWA and can strongly recommend contacting them... The Association members operate by very strong Ethical Standards in regards to hunting. The EWA should be able to assist you with your query!

cheers,

Cam...
way Down Under
Western Australia.