Poll

Do you hunt for a trophy or for tablefare? *Predominantly

Trophy
2 (4.9%)
Food
39 (95.1%)

Total Members Voted: 40

Voting closed: December 08, 2005, 05:12:29 PM

Author Topic: Trophy or tablefare?  (Read 962 times)

Offline JPSaxMan

• Trade Count: (0)
Trophy or tablefare?
« on: December 08, 2005, 05:12:29 PM »
When you guys go out in the woods...are you hunting just for that 12 pt you've seen all year, and won't even look at a nice sized doe or a smaller buck just for the sake of food, or do you guys go out and hunt to put meat on the table, and would just think of it as nice if that 12 pt happened to walk up to you?

I hunt for food. :grin:
JP

Attorney: Now doctor, isn't it true that when a person dies in
his sleep, he doesn't know about it until the next morning?

Doctor: Did you actually pass the bar exam?

Proverbs 3:5 - Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding

Offline .308sniper

• Contributor
  • happiness is a steaming gut pile.
Trophy or tablefare?
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2005, 01:21:30 AM »
I hunt for food.  I would shoot the 12 point in a heartbeat but i would shoot a doe if I saw one.

sniper
have fun! get it done with a 308.

Offline JKump

• Avid Poster
Trophy or tablefare?
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2005, 01:43:12 AM »
I do not trophy hunt, I freezer hunt.  Anything that I shoot will be eaten.  However, I will not pass up the shoot on the Trophy deer, just know the meat will be used.
Everyone has a game plan, until they get punched in the mouth.

Live everyday as if it is your last!  Because someday you will be right.

Offline Redhawk1

• Life time NRA Supporter.
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (78)
Trophy or tablefare?
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2005, 02:54:24 AM »
I could not answer your poll, I do both. When I go on a big hunt, I am after a trophy, the meat is secondary. Now when I am hunting in my home State for deer, I like the doe's for the freezer. I don't waste any meat, I always have people I give meat to and I also give to the hunters for the hungry.

So in short I do both.  :D
If  you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
Jesus Christ and the American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom

Endowment Life Member of the NRA
Life Member NA

Offline victorcharlie

Trophy or tablefare?
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2005, 03:08:05 AM »
I kind of thought there should be another answer to that question as well.......
"Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. Tolerance in the face of tyranny is no virtue."
Barry Goldwater

Offline Savage .250

Trophy or tablefare?
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2005, 03:11:36 AM »
I`m at a stage of my hunting career (been there for a while now) that
   i don`t shot doe,my choice.  Don`t shot spikes.  Just looking for
    something bigger than i already have.  Shot a lot of deer in my time so
   shooting another is not paramount to me having a good hunt.  
    As far as the meat goes......cooked properly it`s great, also makes
    great jerky.

" The best part of the hunt is not the harvest but in the experience."
" The best part of the hunt is not the harvest but in the experience."

Offline rickyp

• Trade Count: (19)
Trophy or tablefare?
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2005, 01:31:48 PM »
what I normally do is
I hunt for the freezer first but will not pass on a nice buck. once I take a few deers I will switch to trophy only hunting and let most of the deer I see go by and just watch them. I learn a lot form just watching.

Offline ogo

Trophy or tablefare?
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2005, 04:32:09 PM »
to be honest I shoot the first legal deer that comes along, been that way since I started hunting many many moon's ago******************ogo

Offline JPSaxMan

Trophy or tablefare?
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2005, 05:07:07 PM »
Quote from: Redhawk1
I could not answer your poll, I do both. When I go on a big hunt, I am after a trophy, the meat is secondary. Now when I am hunting in my home State for deer, I like the doe's for the freezer. I don't waste any meat, I always have people I give meat to and I also give to the hunters for the hungry.

Well here's a question...what type of hunting do you more? The "bigger" hunts or the hunts more closer to home? The answer to this question should then answer the poll question, right? :mrgreen:
JP

Attorney: Now doctor, isn't it true that when a person dies in
his sleep, he doesn't know about it until the next morning?

Doctor: Did you actually pass the bar exam?

Proverbs 3:5 - Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding

Offline NONYA

Trophy or tablefare?
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2005, 05:17:43 PM »
I buy a bunch of doe tags and an extra cow elk tag to fill the freezers but I hunt hard for a big buck,I wont shoot any small bucks for meat,thats what does are for.
If it aint fair chase its FOUL,and illegal in my state!
http://www.freewebs.com/lifealongthedge/index.htm

Offline Jaydub in Wi

• Avid Poster
Trophy or tablefare?
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2005, 07:06:03 PM »
the first one that comes along. I don't care if it's a doe, a spike or a 10 pt. I hunt to fill both my buck tag and anterless tag

Offline Redhawk1

• GBO Supporter
Trophy or tablefare?
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2005, 08:11:47 PM »
Quote from: JPSaxMan

Well here's a question...what type of hunting do you more? The "bigger" hunts or the hunts more closer to home? The answer to this question should then answer the poll question, right? :mrgreen:

Where I hunt, putting a deer in the freezer is not a problem. I usually take the first legal deer that walks out as long as it is not a fawn, button buck or under a 6 point. Doe and mature bucks is what I am after. Doe's I eat and bucks I donate to the feed the hungry. I am the only one in my family that eats deer meat or any wild game. So filling the freezer is not a priority. I guess I still fit both.  :-D  :D
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Life Member NA

Offline tscott

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
Trophy or tablefare?
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2005, 03:28:14 AM »
I would not hunt If I could not filet the deer on the spot of kill, taking every bit of meat, including heart and liver. This is so much easier than dragging, for any number of reasons. At home I may take days fine butchering, so that I have the best for table. Deer average between 40 - 60 lbs in a pack. I love hunting big bucks, and I've been lucky...too lucky this year, so I won't be after my favorite = 60lb doe / fawn!!!!

Offline Leverdude

• A Real Regular
Trophy or tablefare?
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2005, 05:13:41 AM »
I hunt because I like to & love venison. We all eat it & a deer dont last long in my house so I take all I can. I do have a couple places I save for bucks & dont hunt often but the main reason for not hunting them is if I saw a doe I know I would take it. I hunt the buck spots during the rut & in January after most of my other spots are hunted out. You cant eat antlers is what I was raised by & old habits are hard to break. The only fellows around here that get no deer are those what wait for a buck. To each his own but I'd hate to have an empty freezer because I was waiting on antlers.  :-)
Freedoms not free!
Support your NRA!

Offline Redhawk1

• GBO Supporter
Trophy or tablefare?
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2005, 10:47:31 AM »
Quote from: Leverdude
I hunt because I like to & love venison. We all eat it & a deer dont last long in my house so I take all I can. I do have a couple places I save for bucks & dont hunt often but the main reason for not hunting them is if I saw a doe I know I would take it. I hunt the buck spots during the rut & in January after most of my other spots are hunted out. You cant eat antlers is what I was raised by & old habits are hard to break. The only fellows around here that get no deer are those what wait for a buck. To each his own but I'd hate to have an empty freezer because I was waiting on antlers.  :-)

Leverdude, you never had antler soup?  :-D  :-D  :wink:
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Life Member NA

Offline Lawdog

Trophy or tablefare?
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2005, 11:49:00 AM »

I couldn't answer your poll either.  I too hunt both.   :wink:   Out here it's antlered deer only and forked horn or better.  Doe hunts are done on a permit basis only and you have to get lucky to draw a tag.  Usually drawing a special doe tag isn’t too hard as many go un-claimed.  This year I drew two Doe tags to go along with the regular bucks tags.  I have an application in with CDF now to thin the doe population on my property next year.  Just have to wait and see if it gets approved.  Lawdog
 :D
Gary aka Lawdog is now deceased. He passed away on Jan. 12, 2006. RIP Lawdog. We miss you.

Offline terryfcampbell

• LOOK OUT BOYS, THEY'RE SHOOTING BACK!!
Trophy or tablefare?
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2005, 02:57:22 AM »
:D I hunt to put food in the freezer and would prefer a nice big doe, however if a nice buck walks by I will take it
LEARN  FROM  THE  MISTAKES  OF  OTHERS.   YOU  CAN'T  LIVE  LONG  ENOUGH  TO  MAKE  THEM  ALL  YOURSELF

Offline jpsmith1

• Contributor
Trophy or tablefare?
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2005, 09:22:56 AM »
I'll take the first legal deer that walks by.  Here in Western PA, it's 4 points to a side for a legal buck, so a legal buck is a pretty good trophy most times.  

I'm still waiting for one, though...
Searching for the perfect left handed revolver.....

Offline Ranger J

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
Trophy or tablefare?
« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2005, 09:56:42 AM »
It all depends on what walks by first.  Sometimes it's a bragging buck and sometimes a nice juicy doe.  Can't go wrong either way.  Some days it's only squirrels but it's still fun.
RJ

Offline ronbow

• Contributor
Trophy or tablefare?
« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2005, 04:18:26 AM »
Archery is the first season here in Fla. and does are legal. I will take the first legal deer I can then I want some antlers and will pass on does and spikes.