Author Topic: Smooth bore barrel drilling/tapping..Slug gunning?  (Read 603 times)

Offline myarmor

• Trade Count: (46)
Smooth bore barrel drilling/tapping..Slug gunning?
« on: December 17, 2005, 07:02:34 PM »
I happened to have a 12ga smooth bore 28" modified choke barrel laying around and decided to play around a bit with it.
I personally want to mount a RedDot scope on it.
-Has anyone sucesfully drilled and taped out one of these?

I know that they are a bit thin, and I am not sure if it would be smart to drill and tap all the way through the chamber area. If one did, then perhaps JB Weld in the screw holes would be an added precaution for needed strength. But most of the strength would be pushing straight back on the reciever.
I have all the needed equipment and experianced hands to do this, so I personally would not be doing this myself blindly.

I put a dab of super glue on the base to hold it there to give me an idea if I like it or not. Needless to say I like it a lot, especially with the Survivor buttstock (thanks Rudy :agree: ).

Ideas and suggestions are all welcome.
-Aaron

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
Smooth bore barrel drilling/tapping..Slug g
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2005, 01:34:57 AM »
Yes it will work. I have had a couple done that way. DO NOT drill all the way through the chamber area. It is possible to safely do it on on SOME barrels but not all, it depends on the thickness of the chamber area, the thicker the better. The newer barrels are thicker and therefore better to use. My gunsmith used to do it but so many sent him fine older thinner barrels that he had to send back without doing he stopped doing them.
 Redrill the holes in the scope rail and use larger screws, I think he went from the 6/48's that came with the rail to 8/40's but don't hold me to it. There is an old post of mine somewhere that has all the info. Do a search for "Ed Gagnon" in the shotgun section and you might be able to find it. He bottom tapped the holes, flat filed the new 8/40 screws to the exact and proper length for full thread engagment and complete tight scope rail mounting, and expoxied AND screwed the base (scope rail) on, not to be removed...It's possible and safe on SOME 12 gauge barrels, and when done correctly and safely it works GREAT, if not it can be dangerous...Good Luck....<><.... :grin:
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline Varminter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Smooth bore barrel drilling/tapping..Slug g
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2005, 07:24:55 AM »
I wanna do almost the same thing. I've been wondering the same question. The only difference is i wanna put a peep sight on the barrel. It's gonna be for turkey shoots. Now i just need to find a barrel. :grin:

I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6.
The gene pool could use a little chlorine.