Author Topic: Want to buy slug barrel, have questions  (Read 676 times)

Offline Terrible Tom

• Trade Count: (0)
Want to buy slug barrel, have questions
« on: December 08, 2005, 11:05:38 AM »
I have a Handi-Rifle in 22-250 and have recently moved to a place where some hunting areas are shotgun only.  I am considering a shotgun barrel for my Handi-Rifle.  I can legally use buckshot (#1 or larger) or slugs.

I'll be hunting blacktails for the first time, and from the looks of the woods around here, long shots will not be part of the equation.

At first, I though I would get the 20ga Heavy Ultra Slug Barrel.  Then I started searching this forum and pricing ammo...

WOW.  Those sabot-slug shells ain't exactly cheap.  I've read that lead slugs cause serious fouling of the rifled barrels.  I don't think of myself as a buckshot kind of guy (no offense) but now I'm wondering if maybe a smoothbore and buckshot or cheap rifled slugs might be the way to go.

So my questions:
Are rifled slugs from a smoothbore reasonably accurate?
What about rifle-type sights for a smoothbore barrel?
Are sabots from a rifled barrel that much better?
Is the rifled barrel worthwhile just for the sight options?
Could I mount a Williams FP (like the Buffalo Classic) on any of the rifled barrels?

Thanks in advance for any advice or opinion you might offer,
Tom

Offline Paul Mohr

« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2005, 03:36:46 PM »
I shoot rifled slugs out of my rifled barreled ultra 12. They are very accurate. Yes it will foul the barrel, but it will not ruin it. You just need to clean it with a good lead remover, it can be a bit messy though. I get about 5 shots before my accuracy falls off.

The newer saboted rounds can be more accurate and extend your range some because of the lighter bullets and better ballistic coeficients. Not to mention some of the bullet designs are a bit better than a hollowpoint lead slug.

Yes the slugs are expensive, but once you find out what your gun preferes and get it sighted in you really don't need to buy that many of them after that. Maybe a few boxes a season unless you shoot alot. Finding what your rifle likes can be a bit daunting though if you don't luck out and get it in the first few tries.

If you don't feel comfortable using buckshot then don't do it, I wouldn't.

Paul
AKA Psyco Smurf

Offline Critter

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2005, 04:44:31 PM »
Sabots are expensive, you better believe it.  Are they worth it?  IMHO they sure are.  I've killed a bunch of deer over the years and have never had better, more consistent kills than with sabots and the more modern slugs that they throw.  Most of my shots are 50 yards or less but I still like the sabots in case I have the chance at a longer shot,. plus I get quicker kills with them.

Offline Redhawk1

• Life time NRA Supporter.
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (78)
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2005, 01:30:42 AM »
Buck shot is for 35 yards and less. A rifled slug barrel is a lot more accurate than a smooth bore shotgun.  Yea, saboted slugs are expensive, but once you get them sighted in you don't have to shoot it as much. In my opinion the saboted slug is the way to go.  :D
If  you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
Jesus Christ and the American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom

Endowment Life Member of the NRA
Life Member NA

Offline Cookiemann

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Apple Valley, MN
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2005, 12:08:40 PM »
All of the points already made are valid.   I prefer a smoothbore, just because its cheaper and my shots are not that long, as I am usually hunting in the woods.  I guess it is really a preferrence or choice thing.  But, if you decided on the smoothbore,  you should give H&R a call.  They still have a few of the Tracker I barrels around at the factory....both in 12ga and 20ga.  They are sighted barrels, just like the Tracker II, only smoothbore.  As for the rifled barrels,  you have a choice between the Ultra and the Tracker.  The Ultra is a heavy barrel and comes with a scope base and NO open sights.  The Tracker is a standard weight barrel and comes WITH rifle sights.  Both are very accurate.  As I said, its a preferrence thing and also you should take into account if you will be doing a lot of walking or stand hunting as the Ultra weighs more and you might not want to lug it around the woods all day.  IMHO, you can't go wrong with whichever one you choose.
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"

Offline Terrible Tom

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2005, 02:09:30 PM »
Thanks for the advice, gentlemen.

I noticed that Midway sells Brenneke Silver slugs that are reasonably priced and (supposedly) don't foul a rifled barrel as much.

I'm still thinking about it.

Thanks again,
Tom

Offline Paul Mohr

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2005, 03:30:41 PM »
The magnum golds by brenneke are the ones made for rifled barrels. But supossedly they all have a special coating or something to reduce lead fouling in a rifled barrel, but the gold magnums the fins go in the opposite direction. I doubt it makes a difference to be honest.

This is what I am currently shooting out of my Ultra. I don't see where they are any better in the fouling department than any of the other rifled slugs I have tried. And I get about 4 inch groups at 100 yards with them. To be honest the the winchester rifled slugs grouped better for me and were half the price. I used the brennekes anyway because they were 600 grns and I already had them. I will be looking for something different next year. I just ran out of time and money to experiment is all.

Your gun might like them though. Most I have talked to said lightfields work great out of these guns, even the gun shop where I bought it. So I bought some when I purchased the gun and wasn't that impressed for the money.

I have about 4 more types that I want to try this summer before I make a final decision.

If you want to stalk or do drives the tracker barrel would be better because of the light weight. They just have a bit more recoil is all, I doubt you will notice in the field.

Paul
AKA Psyco Smurf

Offline TOMMYY01

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2005, 12:32:03 AM »
Since I'm don't like to walk forever, I have my trackerII 20 ga. set-up for 50 yds. With no scope! :toast:  I use it inside the tree line and heavy brush.  I use the win. bri sabots. ( cheapest ) or I use my stevens 16 ga. single shot. The tracker is a tack driver. You might want a ultra but, that is the reason I have my 30-30 with a 3x9x40 scope for the long (up to 100yds shots) for. If they won't come in any closer than 100yds. then I won't shoot. :mrgreen: But that is my  :money:  worth!
                                                             tommy
I like my trophies on my wall and in my belly

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2005, 02:53:26 AM »
Cookieman is 100% correct and I agree with him wholeheartedly!!! I have a Tracker II but don't use it because of the cost of sabots and the fact that my shots are within 75 yards and most  within 50 yards with 40 yards about the average, for these distances my Tracker I's or my smoothbore H&R with a Red Dot work GREAT, and for a lot less money. I also feel I am not being taken advantage of by the ammo companies. I have a Tracker I in 12 Gauge and also in 20 Gauge. I usally use my 24" Turkey barrel with either a modified or improved cylinder choke tube installed with a Red Dot mounted. With Brenneke MP 2 3/4" slugs (they are regular, not magnum) I can at times shoot a ragged one hole group at 50 yards. They just went up to $4.19 for a box of 5, but I hear you can get them on sale for about $3.00 occasionally. That is a lot better than $15-$18 for a box of sabots. My setup will efficiently and reliably kill deer at 75 yards without blinking an eye and it could be stretched out to 100 yards with practice. It may not have the flash or cost of using sabots but I can't argue with what works....<><.... :grin:

P.S. think about it, why do the ammo companies charge you about $3.00 per round for a sabot? No reason for it other than there are those that are willing to pay it. Many here, myself included, reload because of the high cost of factory ammo (and the enjoyment also). If 45-70 or .300 Win ammo cost $3.00 per round we all would be "up in arms"!!! :-D  :-D , why then do we allow this rip off for sabots? Some here keep saying the .17 HMR is not for plinking because of the high cost of ammo, $8 -$9 per box of 50!!! Also how about the complaints the .500 S&W (an unneeded chambering in my book anyway) will not survive because of the high cost of ammo, can you hear the uproar if it cost $3.00 per round as  sabots do!!!
Anyway, for my vote, make it a good smoothbore matched with a slug that shoots well from that gun...Merry Christmas to all, and Carry on!!!....<><.... :grin:
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline lik2hunt

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I want to acheive excellence, not perfection.
    • Authentic and Genuine
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2005, 12:27:30 AM »
The new Hornady SST's might be worth thinking about too. There is a thread about them here already too.

http://www.graybeardoutdoors.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=78094
lik2hunt------>in OK

“The thing that separates the American Christian from every other person on earth is the fact that he would rather die on his feet, than live on his knees!"
George Washington…. also known as the Father of our Country

><> Galatians 2:20 <><

www.dsheriff.org

Offline Terrible Tom

« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2005, 07:28:27 AM »
MSP Ret:  You're getting one ragged hole with Brenneke slugs out of your smoothbore Tracker I at 50 yards?  That is awesome.  I might contact H&R and see if I can one of those Tracker I barrels.

Thanks for the advice,
Tom

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2005, 08:45:18 AM »
I actually get that grouping (when I do my part) with my 24" Turkey barrel  with either a modified or Imp cylinder choke tube and using either a red dot or shotgun scope mounted on the H&R rail I had a gunsmith mount on the shotgun barrel. I think most cylinder bore smoothbores are a bit to big to properly stabilize and get the most accuracy from most rifled slugs. I find the Brenneke MP's shoot the best for me. That said, I would have no qualms of a 50 yard shot with either of my Traker I's, the 12 or 20, at a deer at fifty yards would be meat in the freezer. Each Tracker  I is regularly capable of a 3" or smaller group from a rest at 50 yards, the limiting factor may just be the sights and me....<><.... :grin:
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley