Author Topic: Weight for recoil reducer?  (Read 707 times)

Offline unclecheech

• Trade Count: (0)
Weight for recoil reducer?
« on: December 05, 2005, 07:56:09 PM »
I took a beating messing with the scope on this Topper. It is a 12ga. with 3" shells, sending out Remington sluggers mag load. I keep reading about adding weight to reduce recoil, but I do not know where, how much, what to add for weight, etc. Any help with this would be appreciated. P.s. Based on the 2 digit of the sn (G) I beleive this to be  a 1985 model year?
"Yeah, tho I walk through the valley of the shadow of death..."

Offline Gary in NH

• http://www.angelfire.com/ma3/max357/index.html
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2005, 12:23:59 AM »
You might want to try one of the mercury filled recoil reducers. I have installed one in the plastic buttstock of my Encore rifle, works like a dream. Most reducers come with instructions as to how big to drill a hole and how to attached the reducer to the inside of the stock. For my stock, which is hollow, I positioned the recoil reducer inline with the barrel then epoxied it in. I then used expanding foam for the rest of the void to get rid of the hollow sound. Go to Brownell's website and do a search for recoil reducers. They have many to choose from with prices from $40-$100, mine was around $50.

Brownells http://www.brownells.com
\"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.\"  by Thomas Jefferson, 1776

Offline Markus

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (15)
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2005, 03:06:52 PM »
I've never done this myself but several tricks have been shared here.One sugestion was rolls of nickles. They are just the right diameter for the bolt whole. another was a copper pipe filled with lead shot and plugged at both ends.WNYWhitetailer has had great success with his mercury recoil suppressor.If you do a search for recoil reduction you will find that this has discussed a lot.
PROUD REDNECK CONSERVATIVE

I'd much rather be remembered for being a great shot than having the most expensive gun

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2005, 03:31:51 PM »
You might also just try filling the stock bolt hole with #6 (or so) lead shot, adding some packing peanuts or foam rubber forced on top to keep them from moving around AND ( this is the BIGGIE!!!) going to standard 2 3/4" shotgun slugs, not 2 3/4" Mags, not 3" mags, and not 3.5" Mags!!! go with a lighter slug and a standard 2 3/4" 12 gauge shell and your deer will be just as dead, and perhaps deader (if that possible) and quicker too because you won't develop a FLINCH from those Grizzly Bear sized loads and because of that you will be able to put your shot right where you are supposed to. Believe me buddy, those regular 12 gauge slugs work great and only kill on one end!!! Of course I am an opponent of "Magnumitis" and "Rapid fire" when hunting anyway, remember, one well placed shot is all it takes, isn't that why we shoot these fine little guns for anyway? And shouldn't it be fun for use too, not painful and torturous....<><.... :grin:
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline WNY_Whitetailer

• Look at me I'm white and nerdy
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Working...
    • http://www.dec.state.ny.us/
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2005, 03:42:51 PM »
Do a search with the word recoil reduction on this forum and you will come up with a plethora of information.  The Mercury Recoil Reducer I installed in the stock bolt hole on my 10/12GA NEF Shotgun is a precise fit.  You can custom order the reducer to fit your bolt hole or just buy one of the other sizes and fill the void in the bolt hole with anything that will keep that reducer in place.  Do the search and you will come up with a ton of suggestions...You don't have to drop $40-$50 for a reduction in recoil...Just look around.
Patience comes with age and You can't teach common sense

Offline ottawa rogue

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2005, 11:03:46 AM »
what i did was this-get a piece of 1/2" electrical conduit(3/4" is a little too big for the stock bolt hole unless you want to drill it out), and go to your local tire shop. ask them for a few pounds of old lead weights, melt them down and fill your tube. i put one of these in the butt of my topper and it really took the sting out of the 3" turkey shells i was shooting.
i think mine came out weighing roughly 1.5lbs