Author Topic: see-through rings for 375 h&h (yes / no)  (Read 492 times)

Offline nasem

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
see-through rings for 375 h&h (yes / no)
« on: December 26, 2005, 07:28:40 AM »
I just got my winchester classic stainless 375h&h which comes with open sights, I wanted to know if you guys would recommend see-through rings?

if yes, which once

thanks

Offline Redhawk1

• Life time NRA Supporter.
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (78)
see-through rings for 375 h&h (yes / no
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2005, 08:15:59 AM »
In my opinion, the see through scope rings are the worst thing you can put on a rifle. To get the best performance, mount the scope as close to the barrel as posable. When you have a scope to high it messes up the parallax. I would recommend a good 1X4X20 or a 1.5X5X20 or a 2X7X33 max for a 375 H&H.
If  you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
Jesus Christ and the American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom

Endowment Life Member of the NRA
Life Member NA

Offline nasem

• A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2005, 09:19:31 AM »
ok redhawk, thank you for your post, and I do have a trekker 1.5-4.5X32 scope(not the best stuff but it used to work real nice on my 300RUM)...

and I guess no see-through rings, all fine and dandy  :grin:

Offline victorcharlie

« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2005, 09:47:29 AM »
My Marlin 1895 45-70 sports a leupold 1.75X 6 in weaver see thru mounts.  I hate the mounts........The real problem I have with them is when I need to mount the gun fast.........When I do that, I lay my cheek on the stock and the scope never lines up right.......I guess it's ok when I have time to set myself up correctly..........

After the season, I'm remounting my scope as low as I can get it........

Got to agree with Redhawk1 again! :eek:
"Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. Tolerance in the face of tyranny is no virtue."
Barry Goldwater

Offline wink_man

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2005, 06:10:34 PM »
I have to agree with Redhawk & Victorharlie, the only time I will use see thru mounts, is on a combo rifle/shotgun weapon that doesn't shoot both barrels to the same point of impact, and I still don't like them. As long as you use a low power variable, such as a 1.5, it really negates the need for iron sights anyways.
Sincerely,
 Garry
Garry
'Life is to short to hang with an ugly woman, or hunt with an ugly gun' - Garry
'It's not that our liberal friends are ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't' Ronald Reagan
Just ask an American Indian what happens when you let immigration get out of hand.

Offline dave375hh

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2005, 12:14:01 AM »
Those see-thru mounts are a great way to get a Weatherby Eyebrow when mounted on a thumper. I'd recomend a good quality 1.5X6 Or 2X7 power scope mounted as low as possible. Then practice mounting it over and over untill it becomes faster than the open sights and it will. Sight in the open sights before mounting the scope, that way you'll have a backup if you FUBAR the scope. My own .375 has a 2X7-33 Leupold in Redfield low rings. Set on 2X it's much faster on target than the open sights. All it takes is practice.
Dave375HH

Offline TheOpticZone

• A Real Regular
    • http://www.theopticzone.com
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2005, 01:03:59 AM »
No see-thru mounts for me!!
Jon Jackoviak
The Optic Zone
www.theopticzone.com

The Place for all your Optic Needs!

Offline EsoxLucius

• A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2005, 04:28:22 AM »
The sights on the Winchester M70 Classic Stainless .375 H&H are not the greatest.  However, if you need to use them a better solution is a good quick release mount.  The Leupold QR mount and rings release the scope very quickly and returns with little change to POI.  So if your scope pukes or conditions are better for irons you can change.  I have the Leupold QR mounts and rings on my Winchester M70 Classic Stainless .375 H&H with a Leupold VX-II 2-7x33mm.  Works great.  If the scope can't be used or I want to hunt with the open sights it just takes a couple of twists and the scope come off.  Talleys or Warnes are a good choice too.
We learn something new everyday whether we want to or not.

Offline Thebear_78

« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2005, 07:09:06 AM »
I would also recomend the quick release rings.  Talley and Warne both make nice quick release rings.  I have a brockmans pop up peep on my rifle, it uses talley quick release rings.  The sights on the newer stainless 375 classics are the semi adjustable necg rear sights and are pretty nice.  If your gun has these sights I would just get a set of warne quick release rings and bases.  THe talley are a little lighter but about 2x more expensive.

Offline Lawdog

« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2005, 11:57:46 AM »
Quick release, NO see through rings..  Lawdog
 :D
Gary aka Lawdog is now deceased. He passed away on Jan. 12, 2006. RIP Lawdog. We miss you.