Author Topic: Now For The Scope  (Read 1070 times)

Offline Kotupod

• Trade Count: (0)
Now For The Scope
« on: December 22, 2005, 02:13:52 PM »
Well, my rifle finally came in today. It is a Tikka T3 Lite Stainless in 30-06. THe gun will be used mostly for whitetail hunting. Now, all I need is a scope. I was thinking silver, 3-9x40 or something like that, and a price range around 250-300 bucks. Maybe a Nikon, Leupold, Weaver, ect... What would you suggest?

Thanks,
Jon
-Jonathan C.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense

-Buddha

Offline longwinters

• Moderators
Now For The Scope
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2005, 02:44:01 PM »
For the money you are talking, you cannot beat the Nikon Monarch.

Long
Life is short......eternity is long.

Offline whitedogone

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Contributor
Now For The Scope
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2005, 04:03:51 PM »
Weaver GS here for 2 bills
http://www.samplelist.com/
Beretta S686 Sporting 12g 30"
Beretta Silver Pigeon Sporting 20g 28"
Ithaca (SKB) Model 500 Skeet 28g 28"
Browning BPS Syn. 12g 3.5" 26"
Browning BPS rifled w/ Pentax 2x5x20
Tikka M595 in .223 w/ Bushnell Elite 4200 4-16x40
Savage 93 in 17HMR w/ Mueller APV 4.5-14
Winchester 94 mint Built in 1951
Ruger Redhawk 7 1/2" 44 Mag

http://www.illinoiscarry.com/

Offline Kotupod

Now For The Scope
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2005, 04:10:35 PM »
sorry about all the duplicates, i dunno whats wrong with my computer
-Jonathan C.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense

-Buddha

Offline bladerunner

• Trade Count: (2)
  • A Real Regular
Now For The Scope
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2005, 04:18:50 PM »
Kotupod,I don't think you can go wrong with the nikon monarch

GREAT choice of rifles......i just got a Tikka t3 lite blued in 25-06 and it is a TACK DRIVER......niiiiiice rifle   :D
Good shot placement + well constructed bullet = DEAD

Matt B.

Offline Kotupod

Now For The Scope
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2005, 04:55:17 PM »

8)  thank you, im quite happy with it
-Jonathan C.

-Buddha

Offline Redhawk1

• Life time NRA Supporter.
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (78)
Now For The Scope
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2005, 05:46:20 PM »
Leupold 3X9X40  :D
If  you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
Jesus Christ and the American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom

Endowment Life Member of the NRA
Life Member NA

Offline Butler

Now For The Scope
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2005, 07:07:14 PM »
LEUPOLD  3-9X40!!!I just bought a 4-12 for my 25-06,should work well

Offline SuperstitionCoues

• Contributor
Now For The Scope
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2005, 01:32:51 AM »
Nikon Monarch in 3*9 has (IMHO) slightly better resolution than the Leupold VXII for the money, but the VXII seems to have a little more eye relief.

For either one, you can't go wrong for the money.  But my choice if I were getting a new one?  The Burris Fullfield or Fullfield II.  Check Midsouth Shooters Supply or Midway USA for prices, and don't forget the bases and rings.  :D
I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed person.

Offline Zachary

Now For The Scope
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2005, 01:49:47 AM »
As many have stated, for the money you can't beat a Nikon Monarch.  

The Elite 4200 is also a great scope, but it is more expensive, but has less eye relief.  

The Leupold VX-II is a great scope, but I believe that its optics is not as great as the Monarch or Elite 4200.  However, the VX-II does have more eye relief, and that's an important consideration (at least for me) on a lighter rifle.

I personally like the Zeiss Conquest on the T3 because it has excellent optics (just like the Monarch and Elite 4200) but has 4" of constant eye relief.  The only problem here is that it costs the most out of all the scopes mentioned.

I would still go with the Nikon Monarch.  And I recommend that you talk to Jon at the Optic Zone.  The Optic Zone is one of our Sponsors.  Tell him that you are a member of Graybeard Outdoors.

Zachary

Offline marylandeer

• Contributor
What scope?
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2005, 09:20:22 AM »
:D Kotupod, my vote would be for the Weaver Grand Slam (3-10x40 silver). I have a Tikka T3 lite stainless in .30-06 and this is the scope I have on mine. tracking is perfect, glass is very clear and bright and it's been dead on since I zeroed it in. I'm very happy with my decision. Here is a couple articles I found while I was shopping that helped me with my decision.  

http://www.outdoorlife.com/outdoor/gear/fieldtested/article/0,20280,riflescopes-0016,00.html

http://www.alaskamagazine.com/advertising/alaskatestedtough/alaskatestedtough3.html

I also would recommend the Optic Zone for whatever you decide on. You definitely can't beat their service and probably won't beat their prices.

http://theopticzone.com/detail.aspx?ID=2499

http://www.graybeardoutdoors.com/phpbb2/album_pic.php?pic_id=474

Offline Kotupod

Now For The Scope
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2005, 07:05:59 PM »
do you have to pay taxes on scopes online?
-Jonathan C.

-Buddha

Offline whitedogone

• Contributor
Now For The Scope
« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2005, 03:51:59 AM »
Quote from: Kotupod
do you have to pay taxes on scopes online?

No

Offline str8shooter48

• Contributor
Now For The Scope
« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2005, 04:38:22 AM »
Sightron SII 3x9x42 for around $200 This is not a cheap scope, its inexpensive. In my opinion its right up with and may surpass some of the scopes listed in this thread. Bright,clear and excellent eye relief. Full lifetime replacement warrant should you ever need it.

I put one on my 308win Encore and can't be happier. This is one thats worth a look at.

http://sightron.com/index.php?action=view_category&cat_id=1047413974

http://sightron.com/index.php?action=view_category&cat_id=1047413949

Bought mine at Midway USA

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=687066

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=868254

Offline Kotupod

Now For The Scope
« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2005, 09:33:49 PM »
-Jonathan C.

-Buddha

Offline Kotupod

Now For The Scope
« Reply #15 on: December 25, 2005, 09:52:40 AM »
anyone else have experience with sightrons? It looks like a nice scope. WHat about the Bushnell 3200, or the Burris Fullfield 2?
-Jonathan C.

-Buddha

Offline jamie

• Contributor
Now For The Scope
« Reply #16 on: December 26, 2005, 04:28:52 AM »
I don't have any experience with the Sightron's but a litlle with with the rest.  I own a Burris and my friend owns a Burris.  We both agree we will never own another.  The recticle in his has broken twice (on a 204 Ruger) and mine has trash on the inside of then lens.  It seems the coating on the inside of the tube comes off and get on the lens.  I just picked up a A B&L Elite (old Bushnell Elite) and it is impressive.  It is clearer than the Burris (trash aside).  I Had a VXIII 3.5x10 on a 300 Win Mag a few yrs back.  It was a wonderful scope clear, tracked perfectly and never ever moved but after looking through the new Nikons (I put a 4.5x14x 40 on my 6mm Rem) I won't waste the extra on Leupold again.
AMMO...
LiFe, Liberty and the Pursuit of all those that threaten it!

Offline Kotupod

Now For The Scope
« Reply #17 on: December 26, 2005, 05:37:12 PM »
Well I guess that puts Burris out. And I dont think the Bushnell has a lifetime warranty. So, does anyone have experience with the Nikon Buckmaster?
-Jonathan C.

-Buddha

Offline 2ndtimer

• Avid Poster
Now For The Scope
« Reply #18 on: December 26, 2005, 08:05:26 PM »
Quote from: Kotupod
Well I guess that puts Burris out. And I dont think the Bushnell has a lifetime warranty. So, does anyone have experience with the Nikon Buckmaster?

I wouldn't be so quick to write off the Burris, as many folks report positive experiences with them.  I have had a pair of Fullfield II 3x9's with the Ballistic Plex reticle, with the older one having held up fine on a .270WSM for the past two years.  The newer one seems to do fine on a 6.5x55.  I would guess that both of my rifles generate more recoil than a .204 Ruger.  And I also believe that Bushnell does offer a lifetime warranty on the Elite scopes, but haven't heard too many good reports from people that have had to try to get scopes repaired/replaced under warranty.  For that matter, Burris has had mixed reports as well.  Used to be Leupold had the best service, bar none, but even they are occassionally being reported negatively in some forums.  Not sure if they are worth the extra cost.  
I am considering upgrading from my 3x9 to a 4.5-14 or 4-16 and am also looking at Burris, Nikon Buckmaster, Weaver and Sightron.  I have to admit that the Sightron 4-16 Target scope I handled today at Sportsman's Warehouse looked to have the best optics and eye relief compared to a Weaver V16 and Burris FF II 4.5-14.  I still need to take a closer look at the Nikon Buckmaster and the Leupold VX-III.  Trying to decide if the Leupold is worth the extra $200, and if I can justify spending that much on a scope.

Offline str8shooter48

• Contributor
Now For The Scope
« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2005, 07:21:00 AM »

Offline PEPAW

• Contributor
Now For The Scope
« Reply #20 on: December 27, 2005, 08:53:34 AM »
I have always been a Leupold guy, but take a look at the Bushnell Elite 4200 before you "pull the trigger".   I love my 3200's brightness and clarity and the 4200 is supposed to have even better optics.   Brighter than my newest Leupold.
And they have the Rainguard protection.   And they have a sales promotion of a free bag that is surprisingly nice.
I am not a scope expert, but the eye relief issue is only important to me if it is not constant.   I want my scope to be in focus (full view) everytime I raise my rifle to its normal position, regardless of power.    I am not worried about recoil or idiot marks on the caliber of the guns I shoot.

Nice gun.    Good luck.

pepaw

Offline Kotupod

Now For The Scope
« Reply #21 on: December 27, 2005, 09:36:37 AM »
well the 4200 is a little out of my pricerange.. Thanks anyways.. But, I have the nikon buckmaster on the checkout page. I might of gone with the burris, but i've heard that they aren't too willing to follow up on their warrantys. Whatever I get i do want to put flip up caps on them, so i guess that puts burris out. So, I just dont know. Nikon buckmaster is lookin good to me, only 200 bucks with butler creek flip ups. And if im not satisfied The Optic Zone will take it back wont they?
-Jonathan C.

-Buddha

Offline victorcharlie

Now For The Scope
« Reply #22 on: December 27, 2005, 11:59:20 AM »
I would think that if there were a problem with the scope the Optic zone would try to help you out......

I think the Nikon has a lifetime warranty and would be a good choice for your new 06!
"Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. Tolerance in the face of tyranny is no virtue."
Barry Goldwater

Offline whitedogone

• Contributor
Now For The Scope
« Reply #23 on: December 27, 2005, 04:19:29 PM »
DON'T go cheap on the scope!  Now, the buckmaster is an OK scope.  But, you can get a much nicer piece of glass for not much more cash.  You will probably have your Tikka for a long time.  So, if you need to save a little longer to get the top of any good manufactures line up by all means do that!  Look at the top of all the manufactures lines and find one you can afford.   You can do it.  I checked out some scope the other day for my new Tikka and was suprized how nice the Grand Slam was.  I even liked it a little better than the Monarch!  The Buckmasters was not even close.  You should be able to get a GS for about 50 bills more than the Buckmaster and the Monarch will run about 100 more.  WDO

Offline Kotupod

Now For The Scope
« Reply #24 on: December 27, 2005, 04:47:16 PM »
Well, I already ordered the buckmaster. All I ask is that it get the job done. Is a grand slam really worth 80 bucks more? or is it almost 50 percent better? The statistics on the Buckmaster and the Grand Slam look about the same, with the Buckmaster having a little more eye relief and FOV. I only have a coupleother question: is it ok to use masking tape to prevent ring marks?, and are the rings that came with my tikka good enough? Thanks for all the help everyone..
-Jonathan C.

-Buddha

Offline Butler

Now For The Scope
« Reply #25 on: December 27, 2005, 05:04:25 PM »
buckmasters must be fairly new ,I have never seen one on a rifle in the woods or on the range.Do you get a hat with the scope??

Offline Redhawk1

• Life time NRA Supporter.
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (78)
Now For The Scope
« Reply #26 on: December 28, 2005, 01:43:11 AM »
Quote from: Butler
buckmasters must be fairly new ,I have never seen one on a rifle in the woods or on the range.Do you get a hat with the scope??

I have a Buckmaster I bough from my buddy that gave me a great deal. Buckmaster scopes were out last year.  Very clear scopes.  :D
If  you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
Jesus Christ and the American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom

Endowment Life Member of the NRA
Life Member NA

Offline whitedogone

• Contributor

Offline jamie

• Contributor
Now For The Scope
« Reply #28 on: December 28, 2005, 03:14:17 PM »
You have no worries with the Buckmaster.  I had a set amount I could spend and I bought a 4.5x14x40 SF with Mil-Dot for a my varmint gun.  No, it is not optically as good as some other scopes but it is half the price (1/3 in some cases) and it is bright, clear and tracks perfectly.  I am extremely happy with mine and unless I come across a killer deal the next one I buy will be a buckmaster also.
AMMO...
LiFe, Liberty and the Pursuit of all those that threaten it!