Author Topic: saw a guy about to purchase a handi  (Read 825 times)

Offline bladerunner

• Trade Count: (2)
  • A Real Regular
saw a guy about to purchase a handi
« on: December 29, 2005, 05:13:39 PM »
today at my favorite gun store....it was a SS 270 ....well.....I told him all the trouble that I'd had....then told him about other problems I'd heard of......then told him about how good most of you say they shoot for ya'll and that mine was prolly the most finicky barrel and that the other two barrels I had just weren't fitted right...then I told him that if he were buying it,he'd prolly need to take it apart and clean it,put an O-ring under the fore arm and then I suggested federal fusion ammo for it .......then I told him about GBO and the sticky's and the great handi-holic crowd here

I feel like I represented pro's and cons pretty well,and he wasn't going into the purchase blindfolded

He bought the gun,and looked pretty darn happy when he left,I just hope he's got himself a SHOOTER   :grin:
Good shot placement + well constructed bullet = DEAD

Matt B.

Offline jim62

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2005, 09:22:53 PM »
Bladerunner,

Well, you are a free American and darn sure have a right to voice your opinion about the Handis-both Pro and Con.I applaud you in being balanced in your advice to that guy.He must like the way that little rifle handled because even hearing about it's potentital problems ,he still bought it.. :wink:

FWIW, even though there is a LOT of good info here by well intentioned folks, all Handis are different and not every Handi needs an 'O' ring or a trigger job or a refitted lug to shoot well.Most of them are fitted pretty well at the factory.As long as the barrel itself locks up tight to the frame face and the forend is tightly screw down,most of them only need a bit of load experimentation to shoot all out of proportion to their cost..

Also the guns(NEF Handis) wholesale for about $180 now- just what the BARREL ASSEMBLY alone for a T/C contender or Encore costs new.Anyone who has watched the online video on how the H&R/NEF plant is run can see at that price, there is NOT a lot of time to mull over fitting/inspecting each gun..I think it's a darned miracle the Handis work as well as they do, all things considered.

Even factories that sell much higher priced guns have problems.After many years of building superb quality rifles,Sako built a few guns last year that actually BLEW UP in the hands of shooters. Ruger, Winchester, Remington and Savage ALL have built some guns over the years that have had functioning,safety and/or accuracy issues.Yes, very few of them, but STILL at 2 times +++ the cost of a Handi you would not think that would happen.

The lesson here is that any product made by the hand of man can be flawed...

I think it is very good on YOU that you tried to tell both sides of the story.I hope for that guy's sake he gets one of the 90% or so of the new handis that seem to work just fine..

Here's hoping that H&R/NEF get's that percentage up a bit during 2006!!! :wink:

Happy New year to you, Bladerunner!! :D

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2005, 09:33:19 PM »
Should be interesting to see if another new Handi-Holic checks in here at GBO as a result of your talk with him.  :lol:

Spoke with Matt tonight after he finally made it back home from GA. He didn't finish the big contract yet but figures tomorrow he will. With luck that means this weekend he will have to do what's needed to get GBO back up to speed. He's been getting about 3 hours sleep per night and driving back and forth to GA daily to do the job. Once it's done and he gets a good night's sleep maybe the GBO site will be his next priority.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline RemingtonMagnum

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Contributor
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2005, 12:45:00 AM »

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2005, 06:50:19 PM »
FWIW, even though there is a LOT of good info here by well intentioned folks, all Handis are different and not every Handi needs an 'O' ring or a trigger job or a refitted lug to shoot well

No-one is saying everyone should to do these tricks...but only those needing to make improvements.I know folks have shot them for years without ever doing anything to them...and are perfectly satisfied with the groups they are getting..

Mac

Bladerunner... :toast:
You can cry me a river... but...build me a bridge and then get over it...

Offline jim62

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2006, 02:48:08 PM »
Mac,

I worded that post poorly, for that I appologize no offense intented to anyone here posting Handi rifle tune up mods.I know they are merely posting what has worked for them. :wink:

It's just that many new shooters mistakenly believe that all those things MUST be done to a Handi in order to get it to shoot well.

What I meant to say, is that if many folks would simply shoot their rifles first they may find the mods are not even needed or helpfull on their particular guns, since each one is a law unto itself. :-)

Offline Stickfigure

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2006, 03:54:55 PM »
I have lapped and polished every barrel on all the rifles I own. My savage 7mm mag shoots 1/2 inch groups at 200 yards and my Marlin model 60 22lr
shoots 1/4 inch groups at 75 yards, and my newest addition.. the Handi 30-30 has improved from 7/8 inch groups at 100 yards to 1/2 inch groups using factory 150gr flatnose silvertips.  Not sure it works for everyone.. but the extra time it took to polish the bores before the first shot was made, seems to have sped up the barrel brake in.  BTW.. the 7mm has had over 2000 rnds thru it , and it still shoots 1/2 groups at 200 yards... just had too much punch for the shoulder to handle anymore..hence the purchase of the Handi 30-30.
Just purchased a scope base and a new(everyone  :) ) 3-12X50 NcSTAR scope and a couple boxes of leverevolution ammofor the Handi.  Next calm weekend with some spare time :roll: I'm gonna see if I can push the accuracy to 1/2 inch groups at 200 yards. It might be askin abit much, but I'm gonna give it a whirl. Will let ya all know how it does next time out.
Roy

Offline trotterlg

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (36)
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2006, 04:00:44 PM »
I have had several NCstar scopes and they are amazingly good and incrediably cheap.  Larry
A gun is just like a parachute, if you ever really need one, nothing else will do.