Author Topic: new member  (Read 651 times)

Offline ridgerunner835

• Trade Count: (0)
« on: January 06, 2006, 06:14:21 AM »
hey guys,i just found this site this morning as i was doing a little research on NEF shotguns.im thinking seriously about buying me a pardner 10 gauge turkey gun with the black hardwood stock.i have never owned an NEF firearm before and was just wondering what other people thinks of them.i have handled and looked at a 12 ga. before like at wal-mart,but that is about as far as my experince with them goes,but,they do seem like a well put together basic gun,which i am looking for.i have hunted for years and killed many gobblers with a 12 ga. mossberg 835,and used to have a rem. express that i killed a few with also.any opinions or advice that you guys can give me would be greatly appreciated.

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2006, 09:23:06 AM »
:D , First off I would like to say welcome aboard. Secondly, the best advice I gave give you buddy is,  "BUY IT"!!!

They are great guns and when you factor in the cost they are FANTASTIC guns...

The only problem with buying one is the distinct possibility of contracting that dreaded affliction, "Handi-itus". If you even get a little twinge of it you will become a flull blown Handiholic, I know because I am not only afflicted, I am also a carrier and have been known to spread the malady. Just like peanuts and potato chips, you can't have just one!!!!....:-D  :-D

I am however, very happy with my affliction, it has given me many countless hours of pleasure, both on the range and in the woods....<><.... :grin:
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (67)
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2006, 09:46:19 AM »
Ridgerunner835

Welcome to the H&R/NEF world , Though the 10ga. is a fine shotgun , I would go with the 12 ga. just for the fact that you can have other Ga. barrels fitted to the same frame .

Here is the link to the H&R barrel acc. page were you can look at the options that they have .

http://www.hr1871.com/barrelAcc/index.htm

Used barrels are also to be had form any number of places .

Look at the STICKY's in the center fire forum for more info on barrel options , As far as fitting used barrels to your frame .

Stimpy
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline Rustyinfla

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2006, 10:54:09 AM »
Welcome Ridgeruner,

My latest purchase was the Deluxe in 12 ga. My gun store some how ordered the wrong gun the first time and they got in a 12 ga 3 1/2" that looks like it would make a good turkey gun.

I also have two other 12 gauges and a .30-30. You better make sure you have full control of your senses when you read this website.

Happy Trails and God Bless,
             Rusty <><
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tuff

Offline Markus

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (15)
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2006, 01:00:16 PM »
Welcome to the forum. I just got the SB2-MAD for Christmas and have'nt had a chance to shoot it yet. It's the 10ga with the camo stock. MSP Ret is right about these guns being addictive. These guns are pure utility and fun. They are not for impress your hunting buddys. That is until you are just as successful as they are with thier $1000.00 guns.
PROUD REDNECK CONSERVATIVE

I'd much rather be remembered for being a great shot than having the most expensive gun

Offline Tcallbuilder

• Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2006, 01:43:21 PM »
ridgerunner835.
Welcome aboard!!
I have been spring gobbler hunting with a partner 12ga. for a few years now....and can honestly say....I cant see me ever wanting to carry anything else.
My lastest project is a Topper Deluxe (vent rib) barrel that I  ordered from the barrel acc. program.
I mounted a set of williams fire sights (fiber optic) and screwed in a kicks .655 choke.....MAN this thing is awsome.....turkey killin patterns out to 50+ yards!! w/winchester 3in mag turkey loads in #6's

OK...didnt mean to get carried away :eek:

Just buy the thing MAN....you'll love it!!

TCB

Offline WNY_Whitetailer

• Look at me I'm white and nerdy
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Working...
    • http://www.dec.state.ny.us/
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2006, 05:29:03 PM »
I bought my 10GA Turkey Thumper on a whim about 5 years ago and I was immediately hooked...Now I own a 12GA Ultra Slugger barrel for that frame, A 50cal Huntsman, an Ultra Varmint 223 and a 7-08 barrel to go on that frame.  I'm not as "bad" as some of these guys but the bug definitely bit me pretty hard...I would say that you should buy it right this second...

BTW, Welcome to Graybeard's
Patience comes with age and You can't teach common sense

Offline ridgerunner835

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2006, 03:52:45 PM »
thanks to all of you guys for the warm welcome,im going monday and ordering the 10ga,you all talked me into it...lol...thanks for your advice.ive always wanted a 10ga,(i have several 12ga's already),im thinking it will be a great spring gobbler gun....thanks again fellers,this is a great forum;)

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2006, 02:49:44 AM »
:agree:, Best of luck new buddy, and let us all know how it works out....<><.... :grin:
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline Tcallbuilder

• Avid Poster
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2006, 05:52:32 AM »
Good luck with the big 10!
You should be able to find after market tubes for it (win,browning std.inv mosberg) tubes will fit NEF's.

I see a good flock of birds in the field near Hillbilly Vet just about ever time Im down your way....you guys have turkeys down there for sure.

TCB

Offline ridgerunner835

« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2006, 10:21:12 AM »
yep,ill let you guys know after i get it what i think of it,lots of info here,i been reading these pages everyday now that i have joined :wink: ...Tcallbuilder,i have a colonial arms extra full choke tube on my mossberg 835 that really improved it over the factory tube that came with it,i may go with one of those again.yeah,you can see turkeys right around here in kingsport alot,but being able to hunt them is another thing,getting permission i hear is hard to do and cant hunt in the city limits either.i hunt in the blackwater/fairveiw section of scott county Va.

Offline t-roy

« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2006, 03:19:28 AM »
man, i can't imagine the beating a 10 guage will dish out.  a few years ago i won a nef 12 guage at a NWTF banquet.  full choke barrel.  i patterend it with a 3" mag.  i have no idea how it patterned, the impact nearly put me in tears.   2 3/4 is enought shell in that little guy!

Offline Rustyinfla

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2006, 10:32:22 AM »
If the recoil is too tough for you try adding more weight. If you remove the bottom screw in the but pad or recoil pad which ever it has and loosen the top screw just a bit you'll be able to slide the but pad out of the way just a bit to reveal a large hole in the stock where the bolt is that holds the stock onto the receiver. That hole can be filled with lead shot which will help quite a bit. It will however change the balance of the gun somewhat. You could also cut a groove into the front forearm and place shot in there as well.
  Don't beat yourself up too bad.

Rusty <><
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tuff

Offline DaveH

• Contributor
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2006, 04:08:26 PM »
My object was to get ALL the gauges that H&R/NEF offered for their smooth bore guns.  Now I'm the proud owner of a .410, .28 .20, .16, .12 and the big .10.  Man it is an addiction but the best way to deal with it is go out and shoot them some more.  I also have a huntsman .50 cal. and a .20 ga tracker II ( With a bushell scope mounted on it) and a .12 ga  tracker II.  I have not been tempted by the center fire rifles yey but its only a matter of time.
Dave H.
US Army SFC(Ret)

Offline ridgerunner835

« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2006, 02:13:07 AM »
like i said,i have never fired a 10ga.,but im thinking it couldn't be much worse than my mossberg 835 with 3 1/2" mag HV shells.the NEF weighs 9 lbs,and im thinking my mossberg weighs around 7 lbs,the extra weight should soak some of the recoil up.recoil from a gun has never bothered me(yet)i guess i will soon find out :shock: ...lol
thanks for the advice Rusty,ill remember that about putting the shot in the stock and forearm,that would be an inexpensive way to balance a firearm also. :grin:

Offline ridgerunner835

« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2006, 09:57:55 AM »
well,i ordered it today,supposed to be in next week :wink:  :grin:

Offline ridgerunner835

« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2006, 03:07:29 PM »
got it out of layaway last night...i like it so far,good feel to it :lol: ..havent got to shoot it yet,ill be letting you guys know how it goes.now to get me some shells!!!

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (67)
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2006, 03:48:57 PM »
Glad to hear it , Let us know how it shoots . :D
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped