Author Topic: Speaking of singing at the Superbowl  (Read 821 times)

Offline jh45gun

• Trade Count: (0)
Speaking of singing at the Superbowl
« on: February 05, 2006, 05:31:36 PM »
Already posted how crappy the Stones were. Well Nevel and Aretha did not do honors to the National Anthem either. Pretty bad.
Said I never had much use for one, never said I didn't know how to use it.

Offline IntrepidWizard

« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2006, 05:35:12 PM »
each year it gets worse than the year before-embarassesto be and American.
Government is not reason; it is not eloquence; it is force! Like fire, it is
a dangerous servant and a fearful master. -- George Washington

Offline IntrepidWizard

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2006, 05:46:22 PM »
each year it gets worse than the year before-embarassed to be and American.
Government is not reason; it is not eloquence; it is force! Like fire, it is
a dangerous servant and a fearful master. -- George Washington

Offline Savage .250

Re: Speaking of singing at the Superbowl
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2006, 01:48:31 AM »
Quote from: jh45gun
Already posted how crappy the Stones were. Well Nevel and Aretha did not do honors to the National Anthem either. Pretty bad.

As far as Aretha goes the local paper said she and here back-up choir
   were singing alone to a taped vocal track.    So much for a "live show".
" The best part of the hunt is not the harvest but in the experience."

Offline Nightrain52

• A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2006, 02:28:02 AM »
Tha National Anthem has been butchered so many times by so-called professional singers I cringe when I hear it. I think kids could do a lot better job. :(
FREEDOM IS WORTH FIGHTING FOR-ARE YOU WILLING TO DIE FOR IT--------IT'S HARD TO SOAR LIKE AN EAGLE WHEN YOU ARE SURROUNDED BY TURKEYS

Offline Star1pup

• A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2006, 12:59:57 PM »
I spent my career in TV/Video production and whoever was running audio on the National Anthem was really bad.

I also heard a guy on the radion once who had a degree in music and he said that he was taught that there is a law against adding all of the extra crap to our National Anthem.  It is supposed to be sung as written.

Offline powderman

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2006, 03:27:38 PM »
Quote from: Nightrain52
Tha National Anthem has been butchered so many times by so-called professional singers I cringe when I hear it. I think kids could do a lot better job. :(

Agreed Sir. Every big shot seems to want to put their own personal stamp on it and only screws it up. The National anthem should be sung the way it is written, PERIOD. POWDERMAN.  :x  :x  :x  :x  :x  :x
Mr. Charles Glenn “Charlie” Nelson, age 73, of Payneville, KY passed away Thursday, October 14, 2021 at his residence. RIP Charlie, we'll will all miss you. GB

Only half the people leave an abortion clinic alive.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAiOEV0v2RM
What part of ILLEGAL is so hard to understand???
I learned everything about islam I need to know on 9-11-01.
http://www.thereligionofpeace.com/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDqmy1cSqgo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_u9kieqGppE&feature=related
http://www.illinois.gov/gov/contactthegovernor.cfm

Offline Robert

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2006, 06:29:40 AM »
It was nice to see Aretha...might be the last time we will ever see her perform live.  However...it was very sad indeed to hear how bad she has become..if anything, I think that this was given to her to 'Honor' her career, not to show how great she is now....  The theme of the music for the event was 'Motown', and she was definately one of the reigning Queens of Motown in her day.  The significance of the Superbowl performance was probably 'lost' on most people especially since it started out with Arron Neville's 'putrid' performance that got it started off sour and with 'no defined rythm' right from the get-go.
  The ROLLING STONES on the other hand.....IMHO...anyone who didn't like that performance.......Definately was not a Stones fan!  How old is Mick?  60 something?  He was awesome for an 'old guy'.  He worked that crowd.....worked the entire stage.  I was waiting for him to keel over from being out of breath or a heart attack or something, but he pulled off an amazing performance from start to finish that was incredibly surprising....especially if you had the volume turned up.  I didn't really think the second song was a very strong choice for the superbowl....but finishing it with Satisfaction was way too cool.
  Nobody mentioned the Stevie Wonder performance, so I will.  First, let me just say that I have never been a big ball fan, but I was very excited to watch the Superbowl this year just to see Stevie perform with India Arie.  She is the BEAUTIFUL woman that sand with him on his las song, A Time for Love.  She also performed this song with him on his album that came out last month.
  I AM  TOTALLY IN LOVE WITH THIS WOMAN.  Her first album, ACCOUSIC SOUL is incredible...possibly the best music I have ever heard and definately my all time favorite.  She also released a second album, Voyage to India, and is schduled for her third album March 3 of this year.
  I was however, a little disappointed that they did not highlight her a little more and have her sing one of her own songs.....but she DID sing at the Superbowl with Stevie Wonder....and that has to be a dream come true for her, since she grew up with Stevie Wonder as her greatest Hero.
  I was also a little disapointe that that 'trashy white girl'...was highlighted more than India Arie, and that this rude woman did 'all she could' to overpower Stevie Wonder's vocals on the song that they shared.  A very foolish woman in my opinion, and she looked and sang like CRAP.  India Arie, on the other hand....sang HER solo part wonderfully,  and for the rest of the performance was humble, supportive very pofessional.
  P.S.....just for the record...yes, I am a white boy.   Sorry about the long winded reply.  (not really)[/i]
....make it count

Offline fe352v8

• A Real Regular
  • Evolve or become extinct
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2006, 11:05:59 AM »
Appears nobody liked the AARP half time show

It is widely believed that the music, to which Key’s poem is set, and became our National Anthem, was from an English drinking song called, “To Anacraeon in Heaven”, later the same music also served as the National Anthem, for Luxembourg.

Supposedly Key never intended his poem to be sung and it was his brother in-law, Judge Joseph H Nicholson, who noticed that the poem fit the tune quite nicely.  Shortly after the poem was printed in Baltimore paper, a music store owner printed the poem and music together under the title, “The Star Spangled Banner”  

In 1889 it was made the official tune for the lowering and raising of the flag by the Secretary of the Navy, and in 1916 it was ordered played at military and other official occasions by President Wilson, it was not officially adopted, as the National Anthem until 1931.

So when you next hear it butchered, think back to the drunken sots who first sang the tune.

Few can sing it well but it is the thought that counts.

Life is no joke but funny things happen

jon
life is no joke but funny things happen

jon

Offline jh45gun

« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2006, 11:47:12 AM »
Well Robert If I ever was a Stones Fan I am not now due to that drivel they put out this year sweet neocon. The dumb old farts should have learned from what happened to the dixie twits. You can say what you will they are past their prime. Way past it. I saw the CREAM reunion on TV this year and considering the Clapton and Jack Bruce and Ginger Baker are the same age they put on one heck of a better performance. No they did not dance all over the stage like a total idiot they did not have to the music spoke for them. Folks like John Fogarty still sound good too. Even if you just call it one of their bad performances for national TV it still stunk.
Said I never had much use for one, never said I didn't know how to use it.

Offline RaySendero

Re: Speaking of singing at the Superbowl
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2006, 12:18:43 PM »
Quote from: jh45gun

As soon I relized how bad the national anthem sounded - I turned it off.  Am not going to listen to that XXXX.  Came back for kick-off.  Also agree Stones were pretty bad.
    Ray

Offline rockbilly

« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2006, 04:33:14 PM »
:roll: I also switched to another channel while Nevel and Aretha did their butcher job of the National Anthem, but there was also another reason.......I learned at a very early age to remove my hat and place my hand over my heart when the flag passes by and/or when the National Anthem is played.  I am not impressed by some punk in a football uniform standing there picking his nose while his team mates are scratching their privates as it is being played.  The game was broadcast on Armed Forces Radio/Television Service to the troops around the world, I am sure they were impressed by the respect most of the players show the Flag and National Anthem they are fighting for.

As for Mick and his group of pot heads, they looked like a bunch of rejects from a TB colony, I couldn't switch channels fast enough. Ten-fifteen minutes of World Poker Tour was better than the half time show. :wink:

Offline Ocsamschainsaw

• http://www.myspace.com/tsm002
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2006, 05:01:11 PM »
I think the fact that the stones were censored with this 5 second recording delay is even more ghastly than the singing that happened. It's come to the point in this country where parents can't tell their own kids to hey, close your eyes, or change the channel themselves, or, hey, here's an idea, get rid of the tv for awhile :D
It's okay to have violence all over the place, but no sexual references, even quite ridiculous ones? Seems kinda contradictory.
I'm a huge gun ownder, and a staunch constitutionalist-and that includes the 1st, protected by the second.
Singing=not good this superbowl. I was very disappointed.
WECSOG Madness-Hide Your Dremels!