Author Topic: Wheel Gun vs. Semi-auto  (Read 277 times)

Offline Ghostrider_23

• Trade Count: (0)
Wheel Gun vs. Semi-auto
« on: February 05, 2006, 03:32:43 AM »
:biggun: I still think revolvers have advantages over semi-autos for the armed citizen.

1. Easy to operate/"never" malfunction.

2. Revolvers can chamber and fire very powerful cartridges like the 44 Mag and the 454 Casull and the 480.

3. Small revolvers make excellent carry guns, and I think better than compact autos (in terms of size).

4. Besides, being able to fire very powerful catridges, they are "dual use". First, a 357 can fire 38s, a 44 Mag 44 Special, and Ruger's SuperRedhawk in 454 can also fire 45 Colt. Secondly, revolvers can be very effective for hunting as well as combat.

5. They look good, lol! I think revolvers have a classy look to them, whereas semis don't. Just a question of taste.

6. Because they are "limited" in shot capacity they force the revolver shooter to improve, or at least concentrate, on marksmanship. Whereas, I think there is a tendency with semi-auots to do a lot more "spray and pray" type shooting.

BUT
There are advantages and disadvantages to both.

The automatics have an advantage in firepower as you have a greater ammo capacity (10 to 15 shots) and a fast reload with magazines.

The revolver can be more powerful when in magnum chamberings, but the 10mm automatic and .357 Sig are close to the .41mag & .357mag respectively.

I think the main advantage of the revolver is when one wants to use cast bullet handloads as automatics can be tempermental with some ammunition.

The Revolver is better for a "stash gun" because the magazine springs of an automatic will weaken and cause feeding problems if left fully loaded for too long.