Author Topic: Modifying a mold...  (Read 612 times)

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
Modifying a mold...
« on: February 27, 2013, 10:50:02 AM »
Is this possible?  If so, who would /could do it? Anyone with a mill and experience??

I have a 200g Lyman TC .401 mold and would like to have a larger mepat. Is there anyone out there who has done such a thing?

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline dakotashooter2

• Trade Count: (2)
  • A Real Regular
Re: Modifying a mold...
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2013, 05:19:10 AM »
It's possible. Some people have done it but I'm not sure that you couldn't order a custom mold for what it would cost....... and get better results... It would be an "at your own risk" project............
Just another worthless opinion!!

Offline Iowa Fox

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Contributor
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2013, 09:05:26 AM »
Much more economical to sell your mold and buy one exactly as you want. Even if you do rework that one there is no garantee it will fly right.

Offline .22-5-40

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2013, 08:07:25 PM »
Never tried it, but as long as meplat dia wanted was under groove dia. of existing mould, a good toolmaker or machinest could go in there with an end mill & open up nose dia.  Hate to think of what a machine shop would charge though!

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2013, 10:32:37 PM »
if you want a bigger nose how about casting it as a two part alloy bullet. take something like a 25acp or 32 sw case and make a dipper out of it. Get your mold real hot and pour in the nose and count to 5 then fill the rest of the mold. It takes a bit of playing around but you can put out some good soft point bullets like that that will expand as well as a jacketed bullet. I dont know how you would widen a metplat in a mold unless you had a cutter made the matched tapered from the driving band to the nose. It would cost more to make then a new mold.
blue lives matter

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2013, 03:43:57 AM »
Lloyd,

Thanks for the memory jog!! I remember reading a story years ago on just this. I always thought I would try it. But never have. Defineately worth tring. I'll look for the story, if it was handloader I will still have it. I wasn't thinking about a expanding bullet persae... But with the rear hard cast, it should still penetrate well...

I guess I would just buy another mold. I got this one from a member here for a good price and it works just fine. I like that its 200g as most now are lighter.

I have a couple WFN moulds for my 358 and 454. I had a LEE mold for the 50 that worked well too. Those ranch dog molds had a nice profile.

OK so re cutting the Lyman mold is not such a good idea, I'll keep it and try the soft nose and meep my eyes open for a 180+ grain WFN in the 10mm

Cw
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.