Author Topic: Encore v NEF  (Read 886 times)

Offline Seakayaknc

• Trade Count: (0)
Encore v NEF
« on: January 10, 2006, 02:56:15 PM »
Any thoughts on comparing the NEF Handi Rifle to a T/C Encore, say side by side .308 to .308 or .243 or even 30-06? Price NOT considered.  Compare accuracy, finish, problems etc. Could even toss in the new Mossberg SSi-One for comparison too. Anyone  done such?

Offline trotterlg

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (36)
Encore v NEF
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2006, 03:54:34 PM »
It is like comparing the preverbal Apples and Oranges.  Larry
A gun is just like a parachute, if you ever really need one, nothing else will do.

Offline mitchell

• Trade Count: (8)
Encore v NEF
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2006, 04:05:20 PM »
apples to watermelons

I’ll gladly do the test (anybody got a t/c they want to give me)
curiosity killed the cat , but i was lead suspect for a while

Offline JPH45

Encore v NEF
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2006, 05:28:41 PM »
I have an Encore, and have shot TC Contenders for many years. Frankly there is no comparison, the Encore and Contenders are superior in every way to the Handi. Most here will naysay I'm sure, but generally none who do so have given the TC's the test of time. Cost is often the basis of comparison, but I would say to you look at all the cost gives you. There is a price to pay for cheapness, look at the long list of stickys with "how to get your gun to shoot" info. Then go to anyplace that Contenders and Encores are discussed, see if you find that.

The Handi is a decent rifle, but it ain't no TC and it won't be either. I owned and shot TC's in silhouttee compitition some years back, Never experienced any of the problems I've had with Handi's. After having to sell my guns, economics forced me to cheap out in rebuilding my battery. After shooting and working hard with Handis (5 rifles/8000 rounds in 3 years) I'm moving on to Encores. For the money I've spent on Handis, I could have had a frame, 2 barrels and 1 custom barrel on an action that worked everytime. In additon, I could change to a pistol configuration without running afoul of the BATF as well.

Sure, a TC barrel costs as much as a complete NEF rifle, but you'll have a barrel of quality on a frame of quality, not the hope of a silk purse from a sows ear.
Boycott Natchez Shooters Supplies, Inc

Offline mitchell

Encore v NEF
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2006, 05:31:11 PM »
like the saying goes " you get what you pay for"

Offline mt3030

• Trade Count: (5)
  • A Real Regular
Encore v NEF
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2006, 07:16:47 PM »
JPH45 said it very well. I also have shot Contenders, both pistol and carbines for years, right along with my Handis. I love my Handis when they shoot, but have found most calibers to require too much tinkering and fussing. And even a good shooter can go belly-up overnight. If you want cheap and can invest lots of time, and still might not have a shooter, try the Handi. (I have several I trust but it took a lot of buy/selling and testing.) If you want to save yourself a bunch of potential headaches, get the T/C.

Wally
Great Falls, Montana

Deceased 6/2/2007

Offline bladerunner

• Trade Count: (2)
  • A Real Regular
Encore v NEF
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2006, 08:08:48 PM »
Why is it like comparing "apples to oranges"?

they are both break open,single shot,interchangeable barrel,exposed hammer rifles....you'd be hard pressed to find rifles that were EASIER to compare

BARRELS
Handi-barrels have to be factory fitted (or hand fitted)
Encore-barrels and receivers are machined to closer tolerances so that barrels can be bought seperatly,and changed from receiver to receiver

HAMMER
Handi-hammer too tall to EASILY mount most scopes
Encore-hammer more "styled" to lay back further,scope installation easier

ACCURACY
It seems to me you have a MUCH BETTER chance with the Encore over the Handi...both have had their share of issues (personal experiance with the Handi's,read on other forums about the Encore's)BOTH need some of the same "fixes"

FIT & FINISH
Encore-HERE is where the Encore shines,it has much better blueing,everything feels tighter (to me),and they feel better in MY hand (everyone is not gonna agree on this)
Handi-comes from the factory FILTHY (in most cases) blueing is sub-standard and rubs off easily,Q/C seems to be almost non-existent and it seems alot of barrels are "loose"

PRICE
Handi-THIS is where tha Handi shines   around $200 (extra barrels around $100)
Encore-around $550(extra barrels around $250)

so,to me,both have their own set of "good" and "bad" qualitys

BUT,they can DEFINATELY be compared ( and I'm sure someone can do a better job of it than I)

And my money will go to a BOLT gun from now on....just my $.02
Good shot placement + well constructed bullet = DEAD

Matt B.

Offline mag41vance

• A Real Regular
Encore v NEF
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2006, 11:19:28 AM »
I've had both, and still have all my NEF's. The Encore is gone.

Comparison:
1.) Encore shot good not better.
2.) Rifle co$t   Encore = $600.00        NEF Ultra  $290.00
3.) Encore barrels  = $230.00            NEF         $100.00

Like I said I've had an Encore and tested it for one year, and I can't understand why anyone would purchase one over a NEF except to say.
 " I got an Encore"

An NEF ULTRA with Good Optics are still less $$$$$$$$$$$

MHO
no x now!

Offline mitchell

Encore v NEF
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2006, 11:34:07 AM »
bladerunner you just said it to a "T" in my book.

if you want somehting better the a handi get a bolt gun. if you must be a single shot person get a follower.

Offline bladerunner

• A Real Regular
Encore v NEF
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2006, 11:51:53 AM »
O.K.,I'll bite,what's a "follower"?
Good shot placement + well constructed bullet = DEAD

Matt B.

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
Encore v NEF
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2006, 11:58:55 AM »
I think if you want an unbiased opinion you should go and ask this question on the TC/Encore forum  :-D . (you might also try a Savage forum)
Seriously, since you asked the question here you shoud also ask it there to hear from both camps, of course you may have heard from the other camp to some extent already. I personally don't like them (TC's) because of their looks and handling, I find them ugly and ungainly. I had a .41 Mag TC years ago and sold it because I could not bear to look at it. I guess in retrospect it shot OK but no better than any of my Handis, it did however cost a lot more. I have never missed my TC but I would miss my Handi's. As someone once said, differences are what makes the world go round.
Welcome aboard and best of luck in your quest for an answer, remember, only YOU know what YOU like, I know what I like, and it's a Handi!!!....<><.... :grin:
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline jeff223

Encore v NEF
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2006, 12:01:52 PM »
i also have both handis and TCs

if you have the money to spend on a Encore or a G2 buy one of those.if not get a handi.

the fit and finish and the overall quality is much better with the  TCs.there is no compairson between the two.

Offline mitchell

Encore v NEF
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2006, 12:09:44 PM »
Quote from: bladerunner
O.K.,I'll bite,what's a "follower"?

here's one  http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=301807

it turns a mag fed bolt gun into a single shot.

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
Encore v NEF
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2006, 12:26:44 PM »
mag41vance you just said it to a "T" in my book....<><.... :)

(Remember, imitation is the sincerest form of flattery!!! :D)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline poncaguy

• GBO Supporter
Encore v NEF
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2006, 01:32:31 PM »
I own both, like both, usually use my Encore with the pistol barrels.

Offline Sourdough

• Trade Count: (1)
Encore v NEF
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2006, 05:51:00 AM »
I own and shoot both.  From the bench they shoot comperably.  I have .243, and 30-06, barrels for both.  Personally I prefer the Handi.

One big reason, I can close the Handi without making any noise.  When I close the Encore, no matter how easy I try there is an audiable "thunk".  When out hunting preditors often after the first shot the pack hasn't placed where the shot came from, or where I am, and will just freeze, looking around.  With a Handi I can open partway remove the empty, replace the cartridge, and close the gun without making any noise that will give away my position.  I cannot do that with the Encore, no matter how hard I try there is always that closing noise.  They hear that sound and scatter.  

Second reason I prefer the Handi, I hunt where sometimes my quary can kill and eat me.  In the event I need a second shot, the Handi is much faster to reload.  Think about it, upon opening the empty is gone with the Handi.  All I have to do is drop in a new cartridge, close and fire.  With the Encore, I have to physically remove the empty before I can drop in a new cartridge.  In cold weather my old fingers get stiff and don't work that good with fine manupulation sometimes.  That is time consumning, and could be disasterous for me.

Third reason, the Encore just does not feel right to me.  It does not shoulder as comfortably as the Handi.  One good test, close your eyes and get comfortable holding the gun down.  Then with your eyes closed shoulder the gun, get into a shooting position, then open your eyes.  You should be looking right through the scope or down the sights, without moving your head.  I can do this with the Handi, not the Encore.
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.