Author Topic: What Caliber?  (Read 405 times)

Offline dk17hmr

• Trade Count: (22)
  • Contributor
What Caliber?
« on: January 14, 2006, 05:37:56 PM »
I am selling the orginal barrel off of my handi rifle on ebay,  going to send the frame in and get a new barrel.

I was thinking something like a 24 inch bull barrel in 243, or the 26 inch 25-06 barrel.  But I dont know yet.  This gun is going to be a deer rifle for my girlfriend and a varmint rifle for me. She is on the smaller side and dont want it to kick her bad enough to make her not want to shoot it.

Is there any new calibers I should be aware before I send it in?
I know about the 22-250 (another possible choice) and the 204 ruger.

I am leaning towards a 243. But I want a long barrel maybe stainless.

Any input guys?

dk17hmr
Doug
.................................................. ........................................
Sticks and stones may break my bones but hollow points expand on impact.

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Offline mitchell

• Trade Count: (8)
What Caliber?
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2006, 05:46:17 PM »
243 ultra barrel (24 inch bull barrel) does a good job on deer and wont hurt your arm ,my sisters (ages 12 and 22 ) and my mom all shoot mine and love it. with my deer load they all can brake clays at 200 yards.
curiosity killed the cat , but i was lead suspect for a while

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
What Caliber?
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2006, 05:49:39 PM »
Both excellent choices for deer or varmints,the weight is going to be about the same for both,a little on the heavy side for a small framed person,so if getting either one,make sure you get a real comfortable padded sling for her to use when carrying it to her stand or around looking for a place to hunt.I too like the longer 26" barrels...always have...but my old 24" bull barrel 243 I sold to mitchell is a sweet shooting tack driver...so I wouldn't hesitate ordering either one...and honestly..if you could afford it...get both of them fitted while it's there...save a little on shipping :wink:

Mac
You can cry me a river... but...build me a bridge and then get over it...

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
What Caliber?
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2006, 06:12:58 PM »
Stainless barrels only come in 22" unless you include the muzzleloader barrels, so that should help you eliminate some choices. I think I'd opt for the 24" fluted .243, kinda the best of both worlds!! It's not on the acc barrel list, you'll need to call or email them to get the part number.

Tim

(978) 630-8220     hr1871@hr1871.com
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain