Author Topic: NEF Question  (Read 604 times)

Offline pondoro

• Trade Count: (0)
NEF Question
« on: January 14, 2006, 04:15:52 PM »
I am considering an NEF shotgun. I have a 12 gauge Remington 870, it is my only shotgun (I have lots of pistols and rifles). I am thinking a 410 to hunt rabbits and squirrels on my property. I once hunted rabbits with my buddie's 410 Mossberg pump and it was fun, I actually hit them pretty well.  Where I live it is legal and safe to shoot, but there are people close enough that I do not want to make a lot of noise and I do not want a 22 ricocheting off a rock to go over the hill.

Questions - could I get a 28 gauge barrel to switch in for doves? What choke would be right on a 28 gauge dove gun? Can I easily modify the stock to make it fit me correctly (I am tall and I am told single-shot shotguns wont fit me as they come from the factory).

Thanks

Offline Busta

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
NEF Question
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2006, 06:12:21 PM »
Unless you are going to load your own shells for the .410, I would recommend a 20 ga. 410 shells are very expensive and 28 ga shells are hard to find. You can get 20ga and 12 ga dove loads very cheap anywhere and can buy 2 boxes cheaper than 1 box of 410 shells.

I bought my daughter a 410 about 6 years ago and it has only had about 2 boxes shot through it. The 20 ga is another story, several boxes have been through it. The 20 can be used for everything from rabbits, squirrels, quial, doves, grouse, pheasants to turkeys and deer. The 410 will leave you wanting for more gun IMHO.

The LOP on my daughters Pardner is exactly the same as the 870 sitting next to it. My Ultra Slug Hunters LOP is actually about 1/4" longer than the 870.
U.S.A.F. Veteran
NRA Life Member

Offline Critter

• Contributor
NEF Question
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2006, 06:37:43 PM »
I would just skip the .410 and get the 28.  I use mine for everything except turkey and deer.  Busta is right, 28 ga is hard to find in some areas and it's expensive.  I ussually buy my specialty stuff at Gander Mountain and order the target stuff/light game loads by the case to save trouble and money.
I bought my NEF as my first 28 ga to try the ga out to see if I liked it.  I've owned several other 28s, BPS, 870, Model 12, and I keep going back to that NEF for squirrels and rabbits.

Offline Tcallbuilder

• Avid Poster
NEF Question
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2006, 02:43:45 AM »
pondoro;
Welcome to Greybeard!!
I too would skip the .410 the cost of ammo is just to much.

Just for the versility of it I would take a look at the topper delux classic
with the 20ga vent rib barrel and choke tube system It would make for a good (all around) shotgun.....And the reciever can be fitted for any shotgun barrel except 10ga and heavy 12ga slug.

TCB

Offline Markus

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (15)
NEF Question
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2006, 05:52:32 AM »
If I was in your shoes I'd buy a 20ga TDC. Great looking gun,versatile and will probably be my next purchase. If you are a load your own type guy the 410 and 28 might be might make just as much sense. I can't find any28ga ammo at the and only one type of 410 at the local wally world. The best answer is to just buy one of each and enjoy them all. They are cheap and fun. Welcome to the forum. Let us know what you get and how it shoots.
PROUD REDNECK CONSERVATIVE

I'd much rather be remembered for being a great shot than having the most expensive gun

Offline Froghunter

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (36)
  • Contributor
  • .38 Special and .357 S&W Magnum Stuff
NEF Question
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2006, 10:03:38 AM »
Pondoro,

First welcome to the forum!  :D  Back in 1998 I had to make some decision for a new shotgun. After a lot of research I picked the 20 gauge Tracker I, it was the first one I purchased. It was fitted at the factory with a 26" modified barrel. This little gun has put the meat on the table. It’s now my back up shotgun. Last June the wife ordered me a 20 ga Topper Deluxe Classic, and I really like this shotgun; it’s a great shotgun too. The gun is a real valve at around $150 to $175, depending where you purchase it. The gun is a very versatile shotgun, with the different choke tubes and sights this shotgun can be used from small game to medium game and waterfowl. I presently have the modified and skeet #1 tube. In the future I will be getting a cylinder and full or X-full choke tubes for it. The cylinder is going to be used for foster style rifle slugs (for deer and hogs) and rabbit hunting. The full or X-full used for turkey and squirrel hunting. This gun is more and likely the only shotgun I will purchase the rest of my life. The H&R and NEF line of guns are family guns, what I mean by this is they are safe and again are very versatile guns. I bought the wife the Huntsman and 243 WCF combo and had a 22’’ modified youth barrel fitted. We added # 9 lead shot to the butt stock and she shoots the H### out of it. I purchased a set of the walnut Jr. Classic stock for her and I think it’s a handsome gun combo. I also have an eight year old daughter that we purchase her the 20 ga Topper Jr. Classic, we also added shot in the butt stock and she enjoys shooting it with the Remington STS reduce recoil target loads. If she decides to continue to shot, we can have the receiver fitted with the TDC barrel or muzzleloader barrel and order the adult stocks for her. The only things I added to these guns are the sling swivels and a sling. If you do decide on the Pardner .410 you will have a platform to build any shotgun or muzzleloader in the H&R or NEF line, except the 10 gauge shotgun barrels and 12 gauge bull rifled slug barrel.
"Think Positive and Positive Things Will Happen"

"There's Only One Bore Size and That is .357....That's MHO"

Froghunter