Author Topic: 450 Alaskan on a NEF 45-70 Buffalo barrel  (Read 629 times)

Offline NFG

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
450 Alaskan on a NEF 45-70 Buffalo barrel
« on: February 07, 2006, 12:34:23 PM »
Anyone know for sure if this rechamber will work, FOR SURE, and who did the work.  Question asked on Shooters Forum also.

Thanks  NFG  :D

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2006, 01:53:40 PM »
I don't have one, haven't done that rechamber, but I do have a .405 winchester, .338-06 and a .45-120 done on H&R rifles. My smith is quite knowledgable on H&R single shots, give him a call or an email for his opinion. I think it could very well be done on a late model SB2 frame, the .450 Alaskan is comparable to a .458 Win mag, the Handi is available in .500S&W which has SAAMI pressures near the same with similar case head thrust. I think it's worth considering with a little more research. In any event, let us know whatcha find out.

Tim

http://home.earthlink.net/%7Eoregunsmithing/index.html

http://www.reloadbench.com/cartridges/w450alask.html
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline NFG

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
450 Alaskan
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2006, 04:34:55 PM »
Thanks Tim;  I just sent Wayne " THE BIG QUESTION".   I keep posting here and on Shooters forum and trying to work out the details, getting side tracked, over excited, night sweats, nightmares, cold sweats, hot flashes, thinking too much, I'm wearing out my 336 looking, measuring, trying this and that, etc., all the usual drills when I get in to a new project.  Well not quite that bad.  I just can't seem to get the required information fast enough.

Going the NEF route will be relatively cheap and dirty.  I can do that rechamber with no sweat as long as I know it's been done before and is feasible, but a levergun is another kettle of cold bacon grease.  I know not the workings hidden inside.

The NEF 32" barrel is relatively cheap and I will send my frame in for the exchange within a few weeks.  The reamer is about 140 bucks and quickly available from PTG, so that isn't a problem.  The problem is the Marlin.  I'm cheap and would hate to have to spend 300 bucks for a new barrel on top of the cost of smithing plus 600 bucks for the rifle initally.

Decisions, decisions, decisions....

Thanks  NFG  :D  :roll:

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2006, 04:50:11 PM »
$140?? Wayne charges $100 for rechambers, $10 shipping, not much for modifying the ejector....might be worth it not to have to mess with it....

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain