Author Topic: Tombstone,AT  (Read 699 times)

Offline 45454

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Tombstone,AT
« on: December 05, 2005, 09:57:05 AM »
Hi Y'all,
We got back from Tombstone last Friday morning.
Was a very short visit, but worth it.
Straight driving.No overnight stays.Used what I learned from driving 18 wheelers.
Left Tuesday morning about 6:00-6:30 AM.Got into Tombstone Wednesday morning about 4:00 AM.Slept until 'bout 8:00AM. Then,
registered at the Best Western.Some more sleep.Up and explored the town.Some very nice looking Colts and clones.Yeah,wipe the drool.
People were nice and polite. Just HAD to visit the gun stores.One,G.F Spangenberg, was closed. Next, hit up "Cherokee Jack's" on East Fremont Street.Nice guy.
Ate at Nellie Cashman's Restaurant.Good food.
Had 2 that wanted me to move there.Might consider it.
Drive back was like comming: a grind.Too bad I didn't drive in style:
A Pete or a Freightliner.
This time, missed the L.A. traffic.
Would like to go again,and stay longer.
The old calibers and guns got the job done
Life-United Prospectors Inc
WARTHOG-The Open Range forums

Offline rockbilly

Tombstone,AT
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2005, 04:16:12 PM »
:D Next time you are in Tombstone try the OK Cafe.  It is owned by Carmen Mercer, the Vice President of the Minuteman Civil Defense Corps.  She is quite a lady and will put some good grunts on ya.  And if you want any information on the illegal alien situation, she can provide that too. :D

Offline 45454

• Contributor
Tombstone,AT
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2005, 09:55:21 PM »
Hi Rockbilly :D ,
When I was at Cherokee Jack's,told him that I had my F.A. 454 Casull,
44 mag Winchester lever, 44mag Ruger and a 45-70 NEF.
I bought 5 lbs of American Pioneer Powder.For change ? An old holster.
He checked it with his Colt Walker. And told me about how to "wet fit"
my Colt Dragoon copy.(Didn't have to "wet fit". Fits good. Tried this at home !)
He told me, that if I was going on the backtrails, to "load up".
I figured, better be safe than sorry.That's why I took my guns along.
As, been to the ranchrescue.com website. Oh Yeah, scary stuff.
Someone told me years ago, that I don't need a 4x4. Did I listen ? NO.
My G/F didn't kick on bringing the guns along. Glad I did.
Like the 4x4 Honda Passport (and guns), would rather have it, than wished I had it.
Trouble with the news and LEO's are,either downplaying it,the Ranch Rescue people are the problem ,which they are not. And, rather help
Ranch Rescue,they are watching them, and letting the illegals get through.
It's scary what's going on.And some really intelligently stupid people,
that think they are "professionals", I mean, a loss for words.
Go over to the website. I don't have a loss of 4 lettered words for the BP,
Sheriff,etc. Many ranches are isolated. People are living in fear.And do have the right to defend themselves.
Not many know it, but had Mexican soldiers come over, shoot up and head back.In this instance, I would shoot back.No warning shots,either.
I have some good Mexican friends/mechanics, that are really mad about the border situation. They're here, as citizens.Wonderful guys, to say the least.They,too, think the borders should be closed.Think like we do.
It's getting late.
Thank you for the info.Just maybe, another trip next year.
See you later.

Offline rockbilly

Tombstone,AT
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2005, 03:16:48 PM »
:D 45454.  I do jewelry work, and spend a lot of time in remote areas looking for rocks and gems to work with.  The area from Tombstone south has produced a lot of quality materials over the years, lots of turquoise and fire agate.

For years we searched the back areas and never worried about illegals, today it is a totally different story.  I never go alone anymore, I prefer several people if possible, and usually all of us are armed.  I carry a sidearm when out looking, usually a wheel gun with one shotshell for them big rattlesnakes, the rest are JHPs, with two speed loaders.  In the truck is a 870 riot gun and either an AR-15 or AK.  

I started going fully armed after a friend was beaten and robed by a group of illegals that approached him and asked for water.  As they were getting the water, one got behind him and hit him over the head with a big rock.  I would never let them encircle me, or have even one get behind me, I always kept them out front, and at a distance of 10-15 feet.  Today I wouldn't even talk to them, the only conversation would be with the Border Patrol if they are in with-in phone distance.

The illegals are a real problem in that area, but not just there, they are taking America slowly but surely.  If those clowns in D.C. don't act soon, we will all be speaking spanish. :twisted:  :evil:  :x  :shock:

Offline 45454

• Contributor
Tombstone,AT
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2005, 05:38:12 PM »
Howdy Rockbilly :D ,
I was at the plant this morning.With a safety incentive,no accidents,like
in going to a doctor or hospital (Regular pinches, cuts.etc that are not an
OSHA (Reportable), are OK). We get to chose from a parka, 2 shirts, long and short sleeve,a roll along luggage, and think a windbreaker.
Taking orders for us.Got mine ordered-a parka. Has Signature Fruit Company logo on it.(hint..made in Vietnam)
Was telling the I.R. head about the trip to Tombstone.
A short ways later, she said "If it's about the Minutemen, don't even go there." Probably feels sorry for those illegals. And drug smugglers.
I didn't want to get in that with her.IF she is still there when I retire, then I'll cut loose with both barrels ! Otherwise, she can make it difficult to work at the plant.And usually, unions and management don't exactly get along. We've done pretty good over the years.Next year, will be 25 years.
I'm sure going to make it very plain I don't have any tolerance for politically correct people.
YEAH ! Definately go in groups.That's why I'm not going ghost town hunting. One in particular is Pine Grove,NV. Ever since watching that news article from KCRA Sacramento, "Terror In The Woods". Sure got me to thinkin. And really opened my eyes.
One part was, a guy was panning in the Sierras.Several robbers came down, firing AR-15's, wearing cammo.They robbed the guy and his family.
No guns, then. Now, when they go, they are armed.
This was several features over the week.
The articles were did in the mid-90's. Would have loved to get a copy.
Tried to get one, and it was "Who did the reporting,the date ?" On and on.
Guess, too lazy to look it up.Or, didn't learn their "ABC's".
Lots of things happen that isn't reported. Yet, these "news" people are more worried about some moron of a celebrity, or some idiot game on TV that's more important than hunting and guns.
Used to be that KCRA years ago, reported the hunting outlook.Now, it's
auto racing,tennis, baseball,basketball,soccer.
Getting more scary out there.
Until several more comes along,I ain't goin. I don't feel comfy in a body bag. Better believe your sweet butusy, the guns will go along. Nothing
else has that real secure feeling. It's there should you need it.
Some people can't or don't want to understand this.
You know, if we lived a lot closer, oh yeah !,I would go out in the outback with you.We're about 1,000 miles apart.
If you can,Get "Soldier of Fortune"magazine.December issue.Under the red and yellow banner lines of "MARINE SNIPER, smaller,same color,"Meets His Target". Upper right is a wreath sign with "30" on it.
Now under that, is same color, "Holland Flooded and Sinking".Been reading it.Pretty much the same problems we have.And,I'd say, we are headed into the same direction.The Dutch guest says the same thing.
Primarily meant for mercs. But, if you want the unpolished truth,get it.
Been reading it for several years..off and on.
Stay tuned and watch what happens.
I wish you well in your business. Never know when we'll meet.Would like to.
Shoot straight, stay in touch. I appreciate you for replying.PM me if you want.
See ya later.

Offline bulldurham

Tombstone,AT
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2005, 06:26:17 PM »
yeah god bless the minute men. if you decide to come to tombstone do it at new yrs its fun alot of fun. i live about 4 hrs northeast of it and have been there several times. most of the ppl that live there are from somewhere else but all in all decent ppl look at the crime rates in tombstone pretty low wonder why :biggun:  :blaster:  :-D  you defintely have to check out spangenbergs next time your in there lot of nice guns in there my wife tries to keep me outta there when we go have a good one

Offline 45454

• Contributor
Tombstone,AT
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2005, 08:38:18 PM »
Hi Bulldurham,
Thank you.
Ok, got it !
3 hours NE. That probably put you around Safford.
And YEAH, was really wanting to go in Spangenberg's.The morning, Thursday, went past. Door was open. Went back, then locked.
Padlock wasn't on the door.
Hiked about 3-4 blocks.
That's when I decided to go to Cherokee Jack's.He'd make about 4 of me !
BIG guy. I enjoyed talking with him.
At least, I bought 5 lbs of powder !
But the conversation I had with I.R., she was somewhat snotty about the minutemen.
And yet, "We must repect each other...." da,de,da,de,da. She don't practice what she preaches. Like the few white eyes, speaks with forked tongue.
One of these days, she'll eat those words.Especially, IF the plants stays open, and IF she gets replaced, by a cheaper body.
I don't look for our plant to be operating in the next 5 years. John Hancock
Insurance Company,is finding out, that operating the 2 canneries, is very expensive.Not just the wages we get, but the equipment needs to be checked, repaired/serviced. Some bearings do needs to be changed.
I have no idea of the money involved with buying new parts.I do know, that it does take quite a few thousands of dollars, just to keep running.
I get $ 21.31 an hour,as an "A" mechanic.But, a specialized "A" mechanic.
I get what other "A"s get. I should have my nose up in the air:there are
3 MFA's for 211 machines.About 7 or 8 for the seamers.And then assorted "A"s for general. No, I don't have my nose in the air.I do train new mechanics on the peach pitters.Trained or partly trained the other 2 mechanics.
3 Atlas mechanics.It's a one to one deal. What I don't know, Atlas does.
Know several of them.
Sometimes, I do TIG welding on stainless.
So, what is needed at Tombstone ? Looks like everything is just about covered.Can build computers.Do some gunsmithing, and reloading.
The retirement I'll soon be getting, is a joke.
Any ideas ?

Offline bulldurham

Tombstone,AT
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2006, 01:02:10 PM »
sorry been awhile since i have been around the ole stove.

close i live in morenci and works as a mechanic. i dont really know what is needed in tombstone,but we are always looking for maintenece personel here in the mine. i dont remember seeing a garage in tombstone i bet with all the tourism there would be purty good business selling tires and fixing vehicles as far as the locals youd have to compete with tucson and sierra vista. its a shame the way retirements are getting when a man has worked just about all his life it oughta be a crime to have to worry about retirement. maybe cuz not enought ppl are entering the workforce to replace the ones leaving i.e welfare and such. i dont remember cherokee jacks might be a new place is it on the main drag or over by the rose tree?

Offline 45454

• Contributor
Tombstone,AT
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2006, 05:44:47 PM »
Hi Bulldurham :D ,
Cherokee Jack is on east Fremont Street.Go past the high school,
he's on the left.Forgot the leather shop they have.
Look for the storage place. Cherokee Jack is right across the street.
I'll see if I can find it.
Mining ? I do gold panning :grin:  I would have liked to get on at 16 to 1
mine,near Downeyville. Those miners porbably made huge bonuses from
a slab of gold they found,back in the late '90's.
Changed several bearings, and re-laced belts.Also had to change belts from rolls.
Last week, we took out 26 pitters.Over at Plant 7, we are installing them.
Got word past Friday,we will be doing the overhaul on the machines,we are installing now.
At least,it's work for another 3 weeks.
My boss and another one, are keeping the machines there,running. To prevent the bearings and chains from freezing up.Sort of a just-in-case.
As Plant 7, can't handle all of the fruit.
We'll be some-what ready. Our plant, is supposed to re-open in 2007.
The Modesto Bee says, that there's a glut of Greek peaches on the market.We are to do 20,000 tons less this year.
We are for now, mechanics on loan.The mechanics at Plant 7, are nice to us.But, we don't know how they feel.
Will PM you a little later on.
Thanks.