Author Topic: canister loads  (Read 663 times)

Offline Kansas Boomer

• Trade Count: (0)
canister loads
« on: January 23, 2006, 08:58:51 AM »
Has anyone tried canister loads in a small bore (1") cannon? Someone recently gave me a large bag of #4buckshot. Thought this might work as canister in a small bore. I have no idea how much powder or shot to use. I normally shoot 1" steel balls and 250-400 gr. of powder. Should the shot be in some type of contanier?  Thanks,   Kansas Boomer
Former Naval person, proud to have a Grandson serving in the U. S. Army.
There are no atheists in a landing craft!!!!

Offline Artilleryman

canister loads
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2006, 10:52:43 AM »
I shoot cannister from a 10 pdr and 12 pdr.  I following the ordnance manual in making them up.   They work very well.

I have never tried to make up cannister for a one inch bore.  What I think would work is to weigh your steel ball and use the same weight in shot.  This needs to be loaded in a container.  I would use a wooden sabot with a cardboard tube.  I would use a fine sawdust to keep the lead from sticking together during firing.  The big bore guns use a top plate and crimp the metal can over the end, you might use a cardboard cap that fits snugly in the tube and some light tape to keep it in place.

For powder charges they used to reduce the charges for cannister.  I would start with the 250 grain charge.  You will probably get a better group.

A hint for shooting cannister, if the ground is hard and flat aim low.
Norm Gibson, 1st SC Vol., ACWSA

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
canister loads
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2006, 11:32:46 AM »
250 to 400 grains seem to be a bit of an overload for one inch bore, at least according to Switlik's chart.  Norm care to comment on the load chart in Switliks book for guns under 2 inch bore.

Even following large bore gun rule  2 oz to the inch that 250 gr. would be an overload.

Offline Artilleryman

canister loads
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2006, 12:23:13 PM »
If you followed the 2 ounce to the inch then you would be allowed 875 grains, so 250 would be .571 of an ounce and not an overload.

Having said that I went back to the powder charge table of Matt's and it recommends about 185 grains, so 250 grains would be too heavy a charge.  What has not been mentioned here is the granulation of the powder.  I never use anything finer than 1 fg.   Another thing that isn't mentioned is the soundness of the gun.  There is also a difference in a "target" load and a service load.

Offline Kansas Boomer

canister loads
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2006, 12:31:44 PM »
Double D, now that you mention it, that 400 gr load was a blank load for a reenactment, where they wanted noise and smoke. I use 150-250 gr, with the steel balls. Am having my cannon remodeled, will post before and after pictures when the machinest is finished. Kansas Boomer
Former Naval person, proud to have a Grandson serving in the U. S. Army.
There are no atheists in a landing craft!!!!

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
canister loads
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2006, 01:08:27 PM »
Double D is sitting in the corner wearing the dunce cap... ounces smounces what do I know?

Offline Artilleryman

canister loads
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2006, 01:41:18 PM »
One other thing to remember when firing a solid projectile as mentioned above, they sometimes bounce back or ricochet in a direction you don't want them to go in.  Firing at a tree for instance, if it doesn't penetrate it has to go somewhere.  I can still remember one of my uncles firing a light load out of a .40 cal. single shot pistol that bounced back from a post and hit his big toe.

Offline Evil Dog

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
canister loads
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2006, 06:34:38 PM »
And never hang a bar of linotype to use as a "gong" target.... serious rebound.
Evil Dog

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch.
Freedom is a well-armed lamb contesting that vote. - Benjamin Franklin (1759)