Author Topic: What lathe to make mortar barrel?  (Read 1060 times)

Offline entsminger

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
What lathe to make mortar barrel?
« on: January 19, 2006, 03:25:57 PM »
I was going to bid on a small dictator mortar yesterday on e-bay when I thought to myself, why can't I make one myself like so many of the folks on this site have done? So rather than bidding I desided maybe I ought to put that money towards a lathe or milling machine so I could make one myself. I have tons of tools, welders palzma cutter etc etc, but I have never owned or run a lathe. I think I would like to investigate in the possibility of getting a lathe or milling machine, which ever would be better to start off with making a small scale steel dictator mortar which could at least shoot a soda can sized ball. Mabey later I would move up to making one even bigger? I know very little about lathes but would like to know what kind of machine you guys would recomend and what I might expect to pay for a reasonably priced lathe or milling machine .

Scott Springston

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2006, 04:52:10 PM »
Here's a starting point for discussion.

I picked up two 13x38 lathes (4hp) each with 3 and 4 jaw chucks and a 3hp variable speed mill (Kent USA) 10x50 table with X direction power feed - all for $1800.  The lathes are WELL worn (all came from HS program).   I made a "Dictator" barrel with a home-made radius cutter in golf ball caliber from 5.5 or 6" diameter piece of cold rolled.  Although I made a radius cutter there are other ways that work for cutting the radius.

I need to dig out the pictures, as Hunt101 crashed a while back and lost all that I had posted.

THe equipment is 3 phase 240v.  So I picked up (can be built) a single to three phase rotary converter (for motor driven uses use a rotary, not static phase converter).
Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline CU_Cannon

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2006, 02:53:30 PM »
Look of machinery auctions, machine shops that are going out of business, want ads in the paper and ask around.  You might be suppressed what is out there.  A few years back my dad picked up a 9” Southbend from a high school for $120.

The first tool you will want to get is a lathe.  Look for the largest one that you can afford that is in good condition.  You can do small work on a big lathe but the big stuff canÂ’t be done on something small.  Since you will be building cannons your projects will grow as your skills and confidence grows.

It might be worth it to take a night course at a vocational school in machine work.  It would be a good introduction and it would help you avoid early mistakes and frustration.

Offline GGaskill

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2006, 09:44:58 PM »
It is definitely  worth your time to attend some community college machine shop courses to learn the trade.  They have both the machines and instructors used to teaching beginners. Once you get to know the instructors, talk to them about buying a machine.

When you are using the school's machines for your class projects, use as many different machines as you can to see what is different and which you like the best.

There are lots of places to buy used machinery.  DON'T BE IN A RUSH TO BUY.  Study the machines at school and learn what is good and what is bad in used machine wear.  Remember, you are not building fine instruments so you don't need a perfect machine, just one that runs well without serious problems. 

A beer can scaled (1/5 scale) 13" mortar would be 8.6" in diameter with a 2.6+" bore.  This is a pretty heavy piece of steel. The image at the bottom of this post is a 1/3 scale 8" M1861 mortar bored 2.25" but it could easily be bored up to beer cans.  It was made from a piece of 6" steel and weighs (tube alone) about 80 lbs.  A 1/5 scale Dictator (M1861 13") would weigh at least twice that counting the mount and require a significantly larger chuck to hold.  It could be turned on a face plate if the face were drilled and tapped for mounting bolts.  These holes could be plugged when no longer needed. 

GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline guardsgunner

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2006, 02:37:45 AM »
You might take note that the 8.6 dia is real close to Full scale 24pdr. size material.

Offline Powder keg

• GBO Sponsor
  • GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2006, 05:45:09 AM »
Hello Scott, I agree with George. Go try it first. There is a bunch to learn. I've been a machinist for 13 years now and I'm still learning how to build stuff (I've got brains I'e never used before :-D )

As far as lathes go. It will never be big enough. My lathes are pretty old but they still work ok. I have a 13" X 60" LeBlond that was made in 1935. It is a small lathe but it is still about 9' long and takes up a lot of room in my garage. The motor is only 1 HP. The lathes I run at work have 10 HP motors on them. I can take cuts that remove .500" off the diameter of a shaft if I need to. Things go much slower at home. My Leblond can only take about .100" in steel and my South Bend is around .040" off the diameter.  My other lathe is a 9" X 36" South Bend that was made in 1927. It works pretty good also. It's motor is only 1/3 HP. Again, a good lathe, But don't get in a hurry. It just won't cut fast.

Hope this helps, Wes
Wesley P.
"Powder Keg"
Custom Machine work done reasonable. I have a small machine shop and foundry. Please let me build your stuff. I just added Metal etching to my capabilities. I specialize in custom jobs.
"When the gun is lost, All is lost"

Offline kappullen

• Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2006, 03:56:53 PM »
There are some really good machining sites where you can get advise,
on lathe setup and operation.

http://www.homeshopmachinist.net/

http://www.chaski.org/homemachinist/

Here are two. The guys over there are really helpful and
knowledgable. They will frequently argue  the best way to do a job.

Running a lathe, or mill, like this hobby, can be hazardous to your health.
Be careful!

Kap

Offline CU_Cannon

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2006, 03:12:17 PM »
Quote from: kappullen
Running a lathe, or mill, like this hobby, can be hazardous to your health.
Be careful!

It can also be extremely hazardous to your wallet.

Offline entsminger

• Avid Poster
Hazardous is right!!
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2006, 09:21:18 AM »
Yes everything I seem to want to do is very hazardous to my wallet!! My wife says the saying "the only difference between a mans and a boys toys are the cost" was written about me! Old cars, cannons. guns and the never ending quest for more expensive tools!
      There is a fellow county worker near where I work who runs a big lathe and I hope to learn something about lathes from him. He works on a large SouthBend that will hold about a 10--15 inch hunk of steel? I've seen a few on e-bay the other day that are just like his that are around the $1000 price? Most would require a big fork lift to move though but I'd rather get something too big than too little . From what I'm hearing there are tons of attachments that can cost a fortune if you have to get them seperate so I'm guessing it would be good to get one with most of the accesories. Thanks for your responces. I have alot to investigate.

Scott