Author Topic: WINCHESTER DROPPING M70, M94, M1300  (Read 1292 times)

Offline Lone Star

• Reformed Gunwriter
  • Trade Count: (0)
WINCHESTER DROPPING M70, M94, M1300
« on: January 17, 2006, 08:36:39 AM »
http://leverguns.sixgunner.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=14183

Confirmed by a phone call to Winchester.......too bad if true.

:(   :eek:  :shock:

Offline Muskie Hunter

• Avid Poster
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2006, 11:29:27 AM »
I just called Winchester also to ask a question about the pro shadow and they told me the same thing.The customer service employee just told me that they had a meeting this morning and that is what they were told.What a shame.I think I'll hang on to my featherweight 06.
Vietnam, 66-67, 173 rd. Airborne Brigade, point man, tunnel rat
Vietnam 68, 82 nd. Airborne Div. , sniper.
NRA Member

Offline TNrifleman

• A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2006, 02:00:06 PM »
This is very sad. :cry:

Offline Nightrain52

• A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2006, 04:09:34 PM »
Yup, truly is a sad day for hunters and shotgunners.
FREEDOM IS WORTH FIGHTING FOR-ARE YOU WILLING TO DIE FOR IT--------IT'S HARD TO SOAR LIKE AN EAGLE WHEN YOU ARE SURROUNDED BY TURKEYS

Offline subfan

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2006, 03:17:52 AM »
I just bought a Stainless Classic in 30-06 yesterday.  The closeout price with $100 off and the current news caused me to buy her... The closeout price was marked before the current news and they wanted to claim the sale was no longer on but in the end they went with the sale price.  They were well aware of the news with Winchester.

Offline msorenso

• A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2006, 04:46:04 AM »
I am really really sick other this!!!  :drink4: No one is going to step in and take over???? AHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :evil:  :twisted:  :evil:  :evil:  :twisted:  :evil:  :twisted:  :twisted:  :evil:  :twisted:  :evil:  :twisted:  :evil:  :twisted:  :evil:  :twisted:  :evil:  :evil:  :twisted:  :evil:  :twisted:
LIVE FREE OR DIE

Offline steve

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Avid Poster
winchester
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2006, 05:14:17 AM »
I had talked with a Winchester rep the other day concerning what is going on with winchester.  The biggest problem was the short mags.  Winchester had thought the short mags would boost their sales.  Well they were wrong alot of my distributors are closing them out cause nobody wants them.  There I said my peace.

Offline msorenso

• A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2006, 04:32:40 PM »
I hate to say it because I love this company so much.  But what were they thinking duplicating...  I never thought the throw of the bolt was that much of a problem?? :D
LIVE FREE OR DIE

Offline Flyrodder

« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2006, 04:36:36 PM »
Winchester has been manufacturing all of their guns except the models 70, 94, and 1300 for many years in Europe(mainly Blegium) and Japan.  Those were the only models made in America: according to what I've read the plant has been struggling for decades.  The amount of workers in the factory has shrunk from over 19,000 to under 200 since WW2.  Interviews with the workers show that "the axe has been hanging over their heads for a long time, and has finally dropped."                                          

The unions have priced themselves out of work.

Offline Keith L

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2006, 12:02:01 AM »
The unions have priced themselves out of work.

With the labor cost of the average manufactured product less than 8% I find the normal cost of plant closing is not the union but management.  Process waste in many cases exceeds all else. Normally 95% or more of the time material is in the manufacturing process nothing is happening to it that adds value as defined by the customer.  And I find Labor is a major help to management in finding and removing this waste.  The just need to be given a chance to help and have that happen in time to make a difference.  When the plant closing notice goes out it is to late.

Unions are a popular target, but that anger is normally misplaced.
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."  Benjamin Franklin

Offline msorenso

• A Real Regular
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2006, 05:34:35 AM »
Rumor ,
That windchester had 12million in inventory...  By the second day after announcement it was all gone! :D
LIVE FREE OR DIE

Offline Flyrodder

« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2006, 10:30:33 AM »
Keith L, I talked to my brother who is in buisiness management, and he agrees with you.  However, neither of us think that a union forcing the company to pay over 20 dollars(after insurance,medicare) an hour for a button pusher could help much, while having to compete with Turkish-Russion-Brazillian firearms.  Sorry for making it sound like they are the only culprit, but they are among the guilty.

Offline Keith L

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2006, 03:41:56 PM »
A wage of $20.00 after fringe puts workers on a level below poverty in this country.  Companies like that put workers on assistance and the rest of us pay their compensation through our tax dollars.  WalMart is one of the biggest guilty parties for doing that.  In Wisconsin the governor is trying to pass a law to prevent that.

There just isn't enough in chipping away at wages to get American industry in the black  They need to eliminate the massive waste that occurrs in most processes.  Companies that do that can tripple wages and still make lots of money.  Instead of doing that most take the low road and blame labor and move production off shore.
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."  Benjamin Franklin