Author Topic: "Honing a barrel?"  (Read 1161 times)

Offline Monk

• Trade Count: (0)
"Honing a barrel?"
« on: January 30, 2006, 02:25:49 PM »
OK I have my barrel drilled with a spade bit, --24.5" deep, but what is the "easiest" way to get a good finish on the bore? its real rough right now. tried a "D"bit to clean/smooth it. It gauled up about 4" in, looks like my bore will have to grow from 1.4" to 1.5" to clean it up,
       Anyone have a simple solution to my problem?

~Monk~

Offline GGaskill

• Trade Count: (2)
"Honing a barrel?"
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2006, 03:15:54 PM »
Depends on your definition of easy.  Usually reaming but that requires a reamer.  Maybe an abrasive gizmo.  Probably have to spend some money.
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline guardsgunner

• Contributor
"Honing a barrel?"
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2006, 03:20:28 PM »
Take a look on ebay. I bought a 1.5 to 1.625 expandable reamer for 19.50 which included shipping. cost more to ship than the reamer. Weld it to a sfaft.

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
"Honing a barrel?"
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2006, 03:58:52 PM »
Find a cylinder hone like they use in an engine shop...motor cycle engine size.

Offline rampa room artillery

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
yea
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2006, 04:08:36 PM »
you got it right, thats what i use it is wonderful i did it last week i didnt grease and it had rust damn this marsh

rick

Offline GGaskill

"Honing a barrel?"
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2006, 07:50:59 PM »
Here is a link to the http://flex-hone.com/Index.cfm/FuseAction/home.FlexHoneTools.htm" target="_blank">abrasive gizmo--it's a Flex-Hone.

This is a link to http://flex-hone.com/Index.cfm/FuseAction/home.Featured.htm" target="_blank">Flex-Hone manuals

And a link to http://flex-hone.com/Index.cfm/FuseAction/home.TechnicalBooklets.htm" target="_blank">Technical Manuals
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline guardsgunner

• Contributor
"Honing a barrel?"
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2006, 01:07:29 AM »
A cylinder hone and abrasives are fine for light work, but to go from 1.4 out to 1.5 Get a reamer and then use a hone or abrasive to clean it up. We had some of that serious galling and all  the hone was time consuming.
Hard to work a hone evenly over the length of the barrel.  .100 is a long way.

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
"Honing a barrel?"
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2006, 01:59:03 AM »
One should read before writing... if you have to remove .100 you have some serious galling and yes ream,  then hone

Offline Monk

"Honing a barrel?"
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2006, 04:04:01 AM »
Thanks for the help!!!  I was worried about drilling the barrel I never figured this would cause so much grief! :-)  I will try and get pictures posted as soon as possible.

~Monk~

Offline GGaskill

"Honing a barrel?"
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2006, 12:38:57 PM »
Are you really sure you need to go to 1.5?  1 7/16 is a standard size and finding tooling for that will be easier than something odd.  Reaming .100" is too much.  If you want to go to 1.500" from 1.400"+ you will need to drill or bore to .015" to .031" under and ream to 1.500".
GG
--Winston Churchill

Offline kappullen

• Avid Poster
"Honing a barrel?"
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2006, 12:47:47 PM »
Monk,
Check out that website I posted on deep hole drilling
the other day.
There are some tools that can be made and used
in the home shop for this.
Kap

Offline Monk

"Honing a barrel?"
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2006, 02:45:26 PM »
I should give you the whole story.After lurking here for a year and a half I finally got around to getting a "real" cannon. The cannon in question is my first "decent size" one, I have the strong desire to own a cannon my friend just happens to have the ability to build it, my contribution to this is two 30 inch chunks of 4.5" dia. steel ---kind unknown (yes I know the dangers of mystery metal!) The plan was to build two cannons 1.25 inch bore, well due to problem's (long story,now fixed) we ended up with the bore 1.45 but rough. I just phoned him and he has made a reamer and I now have a smooth 1.49 bore. The breach OD is 4.25" I know I don't quite have as much chamber wall thickness as I should, but it's close. Many thanks for all the feedback guys!
        Now as my friend has a bluing tank, is there any reason not to hot blue the barrel (other than personal likes etc).

Kappullen- Thanks for the post on deep hole drilling it is very interesting.

~Monk~

Offline GGaskill

"Honing a barrel?"
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2006, 03:07:57 PM »
So now your problem is finding 1.45" diameter objects for shot.  (-:
GG
--Winston Churchill

Offline Powder keg

• GBO Sponsor
  • GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
"Honing a barrel?"
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2006, 03:16:09 PM »
Now what are you going to shoot out of it?
Wesley P.
"Powder Keg"
Custom Machine work done reasonable. I have a small machine shop and foundry. Please let me build your stuff. I just added Metal etching to my capabilities. I specialize in custom jobs.
"When the gun is lost, All is lost"

Offline jeeper1

• A Real Regular
"Honing a barrel?"
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2006, 04:54:33 PM »
As it happens 35mm film cans should work. The black ones with grey lids. just fill them with concrete. I shoot them out of my 37mm flare launchers. I use sand instead of concrete tho.
I may not be completely sane, but at least I don't think I have the power to influence the weather.

Offline Monk

"Honing a barrel?"
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2006, 05:16:20 PM »
Well the first "proto type" was a twelve gauge so my friend made a mold to cast a lead slug ---8 to the pound they figured out too, they just nicely fit into a plastic 12 gauge wad, I guess a larger version without the wad will have to do till I can get a round ball mold. I don't expect any problems but I'm going to "proof" test the barrel in a local gravel pit.

~Monk~