Author Topic: Accuracy Problems  (Read 671 times)

Offline cdknox

• Trade Count: (0)
Accuracy Problems
« on: March 10, 2006, 03:54:20 PM »
I am just curious if I have something wrong with my gun or if it is just me. I have put approximately 500 rounds through it and I can't seem to get good groups. The groups don't seem to have any consistency, looks like a shot gun blast. Do you think it's the gun or just me. It is a Springfield XD 40.

Offline williamlayton

Accuracy Problems
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2006, 11:35:32 PM »
How are you doing with others, as a comparison ?
We all have off days, mine tend to run to weeks, and some times one will have a weapon that just does not feel right. I have a SIG 239 that I shoot pretty good, for me, with the .357 Sig barrel but I do not do as well with the same gun with the .40 barrel.
We are strange people wandering in a strange and foreign place !!!
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline chevyfan1a4

Accuracy Problems
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2006, 06:28:21 PM »
From what i know, if you are getting groups that are all over the place, then it is something that You are doing. Try to find someone else to try your gun. If they get bad groups to, try changing your ammo. Some brands of ammo will just perform like junk out of some guns. I use Remington UMC. Works well for me.

Offline wJAKE19

• Trade Count: (1)
Accuracy Problems
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2006, 10:43:19 AM »
shoot from a bench rest, I have 2 XD's and they both shoot much better than I do.

if you are new to handguns it will take time to get used to shooting.
~Jake

Offline corbanzo

• Trade Count: (2)
Accuracy Problems
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2006, 03:06:06 PM »
Those shot barreled .40SW's take a little time to get used to if they are one of a first short barreled pistol.  I got a smith as my first semi .40, and I had to get used to it's recoil, as it was very different to the small caliber semi autos and revolvers I was used to.  You have to concentrate on where your hands are moving, and how you are pulling on the trigger to make sure you arent pulling it off target.  I've never used, but I've seen pistol targets that tell you how you are pulling it that way... might be something to look at.  Know a few people with the XD's and never head of bad accuracy problems.
"At least with a gun that big, if you miss and hit the rocks in front of him it'll stone him to death..."

Offline superjay01

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Contributor
Accuracy Problems
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2006, 07:36:45 AM »
I know four people that have a xd 40. Three of the guys love them. The other hates his for the exact reason you do. We all got together and shot each others guns to find out what was going on. We came to the conclusion that for some reason his xd just would group well.
Chance favors the prepared mind

Offline Skeeterbaymac

• Avid Poster
Accuracy Problems
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2006, 12:04:50 PM »
Man I shouldn't get into this one as I am no expert on shooting and I am sure there are others on here that are BUT:

It is hard to tell whats wrong without seeing you shoot.  First I would see if I was flinching.  Have a friend randomly stick dummy rounds in the mag, mixed with live rounds.  When you hit the dummy if your barrel dives down you and your friend will notice very quickly.  Next I would bench as someone else said and really really really watch my trigger control/squeeze, sight picture and breath control.  I have found during my military and LE years that when shots are all over the place, it's usually from flinching.  If your not and you bench it and a friend or two benches it and you still can't hit anything, Time to look at the gun.

Like I said I surely am not a expert on marksmanship training.  Someone here probably is and will or should give you better advise than me.  Good luck :D

Offline Dusty Miller

Accuracy Problems
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2006, 07:13:36 PM »
Have a buddy shoot it and you shoot his gun.  That should tell you something about what's going on.
When seconds mean life or death, the police are only minutes away!