Author Topic: Iron Napoleon  (Read 770 times)

Offline Artilleryman

• Trade Count: (0)
Iron Napoleon
« on: January 27, 2006, 09:46:35 AM »
http://www.graybeardoutdoors.com/phpbb2/album_pic.php?pic_id=1135">

Tredegar Iron Napoleon being fired February 2003 at Camp Grayling, MI. after a 12 inch or more snow fall.  We had about knee deep snow on the range.   Some times you just can't wait for spring.
Norm Gibson, 1st SC Vol., ACWSA

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Pulaski Coehorn Works
Iron Napoleon
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2006, 12:50:05 PM »
Ahhh yes, the term is 'cabin feaver'.

Been there.
Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline Powder keg

• GBO Sponsor
  • GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
Iron Napoleon
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2006, 01:37:25 PM »
That looks almost like a Parrott?
Wesley P.
"Powder Keg"
Custom Machine work done reasonable. I have a small machine shop and foundry. Please let me build your stuff. I just added Metal etching to my capabilities. I specialize in custom jobs.
"When the gun is lost, All is lost"

Offline Artilleryman

Iron Napoleon
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2006, 02:15:56 PM »
The Confederates at the Tredegar Foundry at Richmond made them the same way that Parrotts are made.  The Tredegar Iron Napoleon is smaller in size than the 20 pdr Parrott and of course larger than a 10 pdr Parrott.  You don't realize how much bigger the 12 pdr is than the 10 pdr Parrott until you see them side by side.

Offline Cpt Ed

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
Iron Napoleon
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2006, 06:39:51 AM »
Always think safety...be a More Complete Cannoneer.

"I HATE SMALL TOWNS BECAUSE ONCE YOU'VE SEEN THE CANNON IN THE PARK, THERE'S NOTHING ELSE TO DO."

Offline Artilleryman

Iron Napoleon
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2006, 10:02:32 AM »
It would be nice to have a little more information about it.  The Tredegar Foundry only produced 120 of them in the last 12 months of the war.  Only nine are known to exist, according to Wayne Stark's list.  I thought all of them were in museums.  I have to wonder about the 1862 date.  Of course my reference could be wrong.

Offline guardsgunner

• Contributor
Iron Napoleon
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2006, 12:42:06 PM »
Artilleryman,
      It micght be the photo angle, but the band around appears lees pronounced (smaller Dia. ) than yours. A heavy Parroit perhaps? and maybe not a 12 SB howitzer?

Offline GGaskill

• Trade Count: (2)
Iron Napoleon
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2006, 03:19:03 PM »
Ask the seller for the serial number and check Stark's list for it.  If it's on the list, maybe you can verify the current owner or if there are two with the "same" number, identify the one for sale as a fraud.
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline Artilleryman

Iron Napoleon
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2006, 04:34:01 PM »
Guardsgunner I think you may be right.  It appears to be banded, but it may not be.  The iron howizters produced by Tredegar had a breech area that has a relatively sharp taper to the rest of the barrel.  That would be the shiny area that makes the cannon look like it is banded.

Offline Cpt Ed

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
Iron Napoleon
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2006, 01:11:35 PM »
Artilleryman:

On The listing of, KNOWN SURVIVING CIVIL WAR CANNON, Wayne Stark had sent to me on April 19th 2005, page 38 there is one 12-pdr Confed iron how, M1862, Foundry Tredegar, FDY#1507, Year 62, Weight 850.

This one is Privately owned and located in Richmond, NY.  I will check again but I didnÂ’t see any others listed in private hands.
Always think safety...be a More Complete Cannoneer.

"I HATE SMALL TOWNS BECAUSE ONCE YOU'VE SEEN THE CANNON IN THE PARK, THERE'S NOTHING ELSE TO DO."

Offline opatriot

• Avid Poster
Iron Napoleon
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2006, 04:53:36 PM »
NICCCCCCE Pics...!!!! ...NORM ..thanx for sharing ...Ill bet the sound is awsome with the landscape covered in snowww.............davey
............................. DAVEY  (OPATRIOT)  ....................................................................       WHAT IS POPULAR IS NOT ALWAYS RIGHT, WHAT IS RIGHT IS NOT ALWAYS POPULAR ...