Author Topic: Got an NEF Excel Auto 5 shotgun brand new  (Read 1166 times)

Offline FirstFreedom

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
Got an NEF Excel Auto 5 shotgun brand new
« on: January 30, 2006, 10:15:45 AM »
I figured I like their Handi rifles, so I'd give their autoloader a try.  It's made in Turkey the country.  I love it so far, but haven't yet shot it.  It's the camo turkey (the bird) model with the 22" bbl and rear sight; came with 4 chokes.

Question:  I mainly got it for turkeys, but if I used it for duck/geese as well, how much of a detriment is the shorter barrel to the feel of my swing and follow-through, vs. a 26 or 28" gun?  Anyone go after waterfowl with a 22" or shorter bbl?

Anything else you can tell me good or bad about these; anything I should know?  It's very light, and will probably hurt with 3" mag loads, but when turkey hunting, I won't even feel it.  It feels/handles well though.  $351 plus tax.

Offline huntnut

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Contributor
Got an NEF Excel Auto 5 shotgun brand new
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2006, 10:41:52 AM »
The short barrel well swing fast then the long barrel but the sight plain isn't as good. I had a 835 turkey gun with 24" barrel I used for duck and goose hutning never had a problem. I'm buying a nef 10ga this week in the turkey model with the 24" barrel for waterfowl. If they made the 28" or 32" with choke tubes I would probaly get it just because the long barrels let the powder burn a little long and that means mor fps and thats a must with steel, but they don't so have to go with 24" or get the longer barrel model and send it off to get chokes installed.
AIM SMALL MISS SMALL 1 SHOT 1 KILL