Author Topic: Advise on a Win 94 from 1973  (Read 563 times)

Offline jakes10mm

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Advise on a Win 94 from 1973
« on: January 25, 2006, 05:57:15 AM »
Of course I waited until the news of the Winchester plant closing to move the Winchester 94 to the top of my wish list.  And to think I've passed on several Pre-64 models over the last 12-months.  Anyhow....my dealer has a Winchester 94 in his "needs parts" rack that we traced the serial number back to 1973.  Based on this year of manufacture, is there anything special I should check?  

Also, can anyone guide me through the "Pot Metal" receiver years...start-end dates, any special problems with these models, etc...

The rifle under consideration has lost the finish off the receiver.  It now almost looks bronze in color, but no rusting or pitting.  I honestly like the looks....almost like it came out of the old west.  Does this mean its one of those "other" WInchester finishes that will probably give a plum color if it is re-blued???

Thanks.

Offline Shorty

« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2006, 08:27:21 AM »
Jakes,
After '64 the '94's had ductile iron recievers which would not take a blue.  They were plated with something that would.  I've seen many of those that now have the mottley look you describe.  Functionally, there is no problem with any of that, and any post-64 parts should interchange.

Offline jakes10mm

• Avid Poster
Shorty
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2006, 05:57:48 AM »
Thank you for the response.  I was watching the "view counter" going up, but no responses.  I have seen one that were "re-Blued" and then looked almost purple in color.  If I can keep rust at bay, I'd like to lightly polish it up to keep the faded/patina look.  The barrel will be the roughest part.  It is still holding its bluing, but is basically coated in surface rust (early stages - don't see any pitting yet).  I even thought of polish the barrel and mag tube then "brown" them instead of blueing.  I browned an import 1860 Army replica and it came out looking good.

Again, thanks for the response.

Offline scgunsmith

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2006, 11:50:55 AM »
they can be reblued, I up the heat to 325 and have an additive for the tanks that makes them blue/black and not purple