Author Topic: star sizer  (Read 1710 times)

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
star sizer
« on: February 23, 2003, 01:47:25 PM »
I got the new star up and running today. That thing is amazing its 3 times faster then a lyman and no lube on the bullet bases! This is one of those things that make me kick myself in the *** for not buying years ago.
blue lives matter

Offline Cheyenne Ranger

• Trade Count: (0)
star sizer
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2003, 02:13:01 PM »
How does the price compare with the Lyman's?  The new Lyman 4500 has a solid base so the lube doesn't leak out the bottom.  Longer handle,  different color, but pretty much the same machine as before
CR
SASS 48747L
RO II
Thunder River Renegades
SBSS #1170--OGB

Offline Graycg

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (74)
star sizer
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2003, 03:39:23 PM »
You can buy a new star machine from Magma engineering without a sizing die for $175.  Sizing dies are $32 and top punches are $12.  Good thing is, you only need one top punch for each caliber because you size the bullets nose first.  If you want, you can get punches for base first sizing, but then you need a different one for each bullet form.

I highly recommend the star to anyone who is thinking about buying a lubrisizer, it is far superior to Lyman, RCBS or Saeco.  It will pay for itself in saved time and saved frustration in short order.

My opinion only,
 Graycg
"Secretly you want me on that wall; you need me on that wall"  
 Colonel Nathan Jessup

Offline Lee S. Forsberg

• Avid Poster
star sizer
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2003, 04:53:22 PM »
Used a Star for many years, much faster than either Lyman or SEACO. Thinking about getting another one.
LSF/375

Offline Lead pot

• A Real Regular
star sizer
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2003, 06:06:11 PM »
:D Hi All.
The Star is a good sizer,but the dies are a little on the short side for some of the longer 5 groove bullets like the Badger long range .458-545.But the average bullets it workes great.You can go through a lot of bullets in a short time.And the base does stay lube free.
One more problem I have with mine is the bullet dropes through ,so you have to find a way to protect the base of the bullet if you push the base first.I use a piece of stiff foam in a drawer on a slant so it rolles away so the next bullet dont damage the base.Lp.
Dont go were the path leads,go were there is no path and leave a trail.

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
star sizer
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2003, 12:57:10 AM »
if I can find another one cheap enough Ill get rid of the two lymans I have left. Its hard for me to even want to use them anymore after using this star!
blue lives matter

Offline Mason Stillwell

• Avid Poster
star sizer
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2003, 05:02:17 PM »
Flat like my Star. Had and still have a lyman for years got the Star YE HAAAAA Good lubesizer

Pete
Thingn's aint always what they seem !!!
SASS # 32017
RO 1 & 2
Darksider
Member NRA

Offline carpediem

• Avid Poster
star sizer
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2003, 08:28:34 AM »
Greetings:

I have been using a star lube  :shock: sizer for a couple of years now.  I don't know how I ever did without it.

I cast a serious amount of bullets and find feeding the star lube sizer very tedious.  Does anyone know where I can buy a bullet collator for a reasonable price?  

Has anyone tried to mechanize their star lube sizer?  I am in the process of doing mine right now and will let you know how it works out. :shock:
Carpediem

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
star sizer
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2003, 02:28:39 PM »
magma sells a collator for your star.
Quote from: carpediem
Greetings:

I have been using a star lube  :shock: sizer for a couple of years now.  I don't know how I ever did without it.

I cast a serious amount of bullets and find feeding the star lube sizer very tedious.  Does anyone know where I can buy a bullet collator for a reasonable price?  

Has anyone tried to mechanize their star lube sizer?  I am in the process of doing mine right now and will let you know how it works out. :shock:
blue lives matter

Offline Billy Marr

• Avid Poster
    • http://www.bbtcastbulletsales.com
star sizer
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2003, 03:30:13 AM »
I automated mine and I do not recomend  it for use with gas check bullets neither does magma. For plain base bullets it works fine. I am thinking of selling my automater.
lead bullets done right

Offline carpediem

• Avid Poster
Bullet collator for star
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2003, 06:20:48 AM »
Thanks Loyd for the info.  i phoned Magma and they want $659.00 U.S. for their Star Collator.  Up here in the Great White North that translates to over $1000.00 Canadian pesos :eek: .  

I was looking at the Dillon case collator.  I wonder if that could be converted to a bullet collator?  Up here it is only $350.00 Canadian pesos.

Anybody got any info on the Dillon case collator or, any other suggestions for a cheaper bullet collator?

Kindest regards, :grin:
Carpediem