Author Topic: Been thinking of a project  (Read 1111 times)

Offline holahead

• Trade Count: (29)
  • A Real Regular
Been thinking of a project
« on: March 02, 2007, 02:40:18 PM »
Well I know its  not healthy for me to do much thinking but here goes whats on my mind. I have always been interested in slugs I do not know why I have never used a slug gun. I have been invited to do hog hunting with a co-worker and I was talking to a salesman who comes to where I work and we were talking about hunting and he said he had gotten a slug gun to hunt hogs with and at ranges of 75 yards or less they were pretty impressive on hogs.So heres what I was thinking get a 20ga pardner mod. choke get it drilled and taped for scout style scope set up and use foster type slugs so what do ya'll think of this set up. Don't really want to carry none of my higher priced guns on this hunt because most of will be in thick river swamp where it is wet muddy and thick.Any help or suggestions are welcome. Thanks

Offline Brett

• Trade Count: (6)
Re: Been thinking of a project
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2007, 03:03:49 PM »
Hunting wild hogs in a thick, mucky swamp with a single shot is not something I think I would want to do. I'm getting too old to climb trees and never could run very fast even on solid ground, but I don't see why a 20ga. wouldn't work if you are up to the challenge.   
Life memberships:  <><, NRA, BASS, NAFC

Offline Spanky

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (96)
  • USMC Semper Fidelis
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2007, 03:09:05 PM »
I don't know about the scout scope idea. You could drill and tap over the chamber of the 20 gauge and mount a scope. I think the barrel would be way too thin to drill in any other place. I have read on here where people have drilled and tapped a 20 with good results. For the distance you plan on shooting you could probably just shoot with the bead and save the hassle of scope mounting altogether.

Offline holahead

• A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2007, 03:12:03 PM »
I think (hope)  :) they have 16ft. ladder stands and you drive real close get dropped off and then drive real close and pick you up so maybe I want have to run.

Offline holahead

• A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2007, 03:14:49 PM »
spanky thats what i worried about that the barrel would be to thin.I may have to mount it over the chamber if I do put a scope on it.I am going to ask my gunsmith about this.

Offline Markus

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (15)
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2007, 04:30:24 PM »

I suggest a Tracker 2 or if you are in the stand why not get an ultra? they are definitely up to the task.
PROUD REDNECK CONSERVATIVE

I'd much rather be remembered for being a great shot than having the most expensive gun

Offline Cookiemann

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Apple Valley, MN
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2007, 12:04:36 AM »
I am a big fan of 20ga smooth bore slug guns, but I have to agree with Brett.  I don't think I would be hog hunting with a single shot.  My 2 cents, opt for the Pardner Pump with the sighted slug barrel in 12ga.  Lots o bang for the buck and follow up shots, too.  Not too many used ones around, but you could probably find a very good 870 or 500 for a good price.  Just my 2 cents

cookiemann 

NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"

Offline blackplague14

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2007, 02:45:44 AM »
If you're going to hog hunt  with a single shot, make sure you can outrun your hunting partner.  I've been trying to convince my dad to go hunt with me, because he is old and slow.  I told him to just grab an ear and hang on so I can get a good shot.

I am hog hunting for the first time this year.  Going to be using my Kimber Custom II with a Clark Custom .460 Rowland conversion.

If you are going to hog hunt on the ground with a single shot, I would recommend carrying a back up handgun in at least 10mm/357 mag.

There are some stories in this thread that may make you want a little more firepower.
http://www.graybeardoutdoors.com/smf/index.php/topic,112585.0.html

Good Luck,
Jon

Offline holahead

• A Real Regular
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2007, 03:03:01 PM »
You can bet I will have my trusty Ruger 44mag on my side. ;)

Offline jedman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (24)
  • A Real Regular
  • Retired and livin the dream !
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2007, 05:27:38 AM »
I like your idea just fine, I have taken many hogs with shotgun slugs, black powder cap and ball revolver, bow & arrow ect.
They are very fun to hunt and shot placement is allways more inportant than the weapon of choice.
As far as mounting a scout type scope on your barrel, try a weaver 92 A mount. I used this on a huntsman muzzleloader and it worked out fine. On the muzzleloader barrel the mount replaced the rear sight using the same tapped holes/ screws from the rear sight. If your barrel is not drilled and tapped for a sight or scope base dont be afraid of drilling through the barrel ( shotgun only ) you wont hurt the barrel, just make sure the screws you use dont protrude at all into the bore of your shotgun barrel.
I think if you already like the feel of the pardner once you get a low mounted scout scope on it you wont want to use anything else for close/moderate range hunting.       Good Luck !!
Current handi family, 24 ga./ 58 cal ,50-70,  45 smokeless MZ, 44 belted bodeen, 44 mag,.375 H&R (wildcat),375 Win.,357 max, .340 MF ( wildcat ), 8 mm Lebel, 8x57, .303 British, 270 x 57 R,(wildcat) 256 Win Mag, 2 x 243 Win,2 x 223 Rem. 7-30 Waters &20ga.,

Offline Spanky

• Moderators
  • USMC Semper Fidelis
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2007, 06:58:18 AM »
If your barrel is not drilled and tapped for a sight or scope base dont be afraid of drilling through the barrel ( shotgun only ) you wont hurt the barrel, just make sure the screws you use dont protrude at all into the bore of your shotgun barrel.

In my opinion, this is some bad advice!! 

It's fine to drill and tap a barrel but you should NEVER drill through a barrel!!!
Spanky.                                                                     

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2007, 07:31:58 AM »
I agree with Spanky!!!!....<><.... :o :o :o
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline 35Rem

• Trade Count: (7)
  • A Real Regular
    • Remington Model 8 and 81 Autoloading Rifles
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2007, 07:45:17 AM »
I think ( I will be corrected if wrong) that the FACTORY won't even D&T a shotgun RECEIVER, let alone the thinner barrel. (they will D&T the 410 receiver, though)

Either way doesn't sound like a good idea.
Remington Model 8 and 81 Autoloading Rifles
http://thegreatmodel8.remingtonsociety.com/
Vintage Semiauto Rifles
http://vintagesemiautorifle.proboards105.com/index.cgi

Offline Jal5

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (13)
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2007, 10:02:25 AM »
I think there have been several posts here with the idea of D&T the 20 ga. barrel and it worked out OK but none drilled through the barrel itself. Probably depends on the opinion of your smith if he wants to do it and has enough meat in the barrel. Someone even tried to use a metal epoxy bonding the scope base to the barrel, don't know how that worked out but you might search for that discussion.

Joe
S. G. G. = Sons of the Greatest Generation. Too old to run, too proud to hide; we will stand our ground and take as many as we can with us

Offline Cookiemann

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Apple Valley, MN
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2007, 01:14:31 PM »
On all my shotgun barrels, they drilled clean through the barrel and the bead is screwed in.  I even had to clean up one of them because there was a little spur sticking down from the hole inside the barrel.  Tracker sights are mounted midway down the barrel...would it be unsafe to drill through the barrel to mount them?  I just thought of this...have NEVER thought of drilling through a barrel, before.

NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"

Offline Spanky

• Moderators
  • USMC Semper Fidelis
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2007, 02:26:51 PM »
Are the holes used to mount the Tracker sights drilled clear through the barrel??  I might be wrong but I don't think so.  As for the front bead hole being clear through the barrel, there is a big difference between drilling through the very end of the barrel and drilling through the chamber. PRESSURE.  I stand by my earlier post that it's bad advice to tell someone to drill through a barrel.  ;)

Spanky.

Offline jedman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (24)
  • A Real Regular
  • Retired and livin the dream !
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2007, 03:40:18 AM »
I tried to post a reply yesterday but it did not go to this site ? I would like to explain the advice I gave holahead as to being able to drill through his barrel to mount a scope base. First of all I was sort a vague on where I was talking of drilling the holes. A scout type scope is mounted somewhat midway on the barrel, on a pardner shotgun I would think near the end of the forend. I would never advise someone to drill through at the breach end over the chamber. also I would not advise drilling a hole in any light weight paper thin barrels such as on a O/U or SxS double or other high priced barrel, let a gunsmith do it. My origanal advice was ment only for a 20 ga. pardner, I measured one and at the point above the forend there is plenty of wall thickness to drill and tap holes without drilling into the bore. I apologize for giving bad advice to anyone and after re-reading holaheads idea he did say " get it drilled and tapped " meaning have someone else do the job.
When I first read his idea it struck me as a person with a idea and a prodject that he may do himself, I myself am a retired toolmaker and have tinkering with guns and many other things my hole life. After refletion on my origanal advice I am guilty of thinking of the pardner barrel as sonmething that can be replaced for $42.00 plus shipping / fitting ect.
I do myself own several NEF handis , huntsman , pardner and love them, also I will try to think twice and not give advice such as drilling holes through your barrel.    Thank You
Current handi family, 24 ga./ 58 cal ,50-70,  45 smokeless MZ, 44 belted bodeen, 44 mag,.375 H&R (wildcat),375 Win.,357 max, .340 MF ( wildcat ), 8 mm Lebel, 8x57, .303 British, 270 x 57 R,(wildcat) 256 Win Mag, 2 x 243 Win,2 x 223 Rem. 7-30 Waters &20ga.,