Author Topic: Reloading .223 Handirifle  (Read 598 times)

Offline NMHNTR

• Trade Count: (0)
Reloading .223 Handirifle
« on: February 03, 2006, 05:30:26 AM »
I'm interested in reloading for my .223 Handirifle.  Does anyone out there have any experience with this?  I know the throat is VERY long and one of the things I'm concerned about is what to use for a seating depth.  My last .223 Handirifle shot store-bought Winchester and Remington cheap stuff into .75 inch groups, but I would like to load up some of this .223 brass I have.  

I would appreciate any suggestions. :-)

Offline Coastwatcher

• Avid Poster
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2006, 06:05:36 AM »
Hi there.  I've been reloading a .223 for a while and have a few thoughts.   I would try several different powder and bullet combinations first at SAMMI seated lengths.  Once you have a load that groups well you can fine tune it by trying different seating depths.  My .223 is an older one that does not have such a long throat.  I can seat the bullets to touch the lands if I wanted.  But overall the biggest improvements have come from the bullet powder primer variation.  Seating depth was the finishing touch.

I use H-335, 40gr V-Max, CCI mag primers for my best loads.

With the 53gr Hornady hp I use BLC-2.

It takes some experimenting.  Keep good records and be realistic about recording the conditions as well as your own performance.   It sounds like work but I find it enjoyable.  

Good luck.
My prayers are always answered,  sometimes the answer is no...........

Offline 223Shooter

• Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2006, 08:47:22 AM »
I have been reloading my .223 NEF for the last 3 years. I use it mostly for coyote hunting here in SE Wisconsin. I use 55gr bullets from Nosler and Hornaday. Both shoot very well in my .223. I use Win brass, CCI BR4 primers, BenchMark powder and full length size only...there is a difference in accuracy for me.  My OAL is 2.308 for the Horns and 2.337 for the Noslers.
I love my NEF.....Extremely accurate for a (cheap) single shot rifle. I will be purchasing a .308 NEF real soon for feral pig hunting.....can't wait.

Offline AZ223

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2006, 02:49:58 PM »
I've been reloading for my .223 Ultra for about a year now; my best loads are 50gr Nosler BT's with 26.0gr Varget, and 55gr Sierra GameKings with 25.5gr Varget, both with CCI primers and Winchester brass. The Sierras shoot only slightly worse up to 26.5gr Varget (.813" vs. .65" at 100yds), and I just got a full-length resizer to try the heavier loads again. Cases tend to stick when you load them hot and only neck-size; hopefully mine will be better after FL sizing.

Like Coastwatcher said, seating depth is usually the last step you fool with; I'd suggest starting with book recommended lengths. My Ultra's throat is real long, and in spite of this it seems to prefer OAL of 2.245" or less. The .223 is inherently a very accurate caliber, and most varmint bullets currently out there do really well. When you find a load that shoots where you want it, then try loading five rounds each at different seating depths and see if it makes a difference. Also, you may want to get a comparator like the one from Stoney Point for around $30, that way you can measure more consistently from the ogive.

You'll also likely find that as your groups get smaller, it gets progressively harder to get them down even more. It can be fun, but downright maddening at times. When I find myself getting that way, I take it out to the desert and shoot offhand at water bottles and anything else I can find.

Good luck!  :D
Life was so much simpler when I thought I knew everything...

Offline safetysheriff

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2006, 03:53:23 PM »
i generally load 50, 55, and 60 gr' Hornady spire points for my .223 Handi's.  i can tell you 'straight-up' that if i long-load a round, not following the SAAMI coal' guideline that the round won't chamber properly.   i get marks on the bullet from the lands biting into them when i close the action.   for sure that happens on my bull-barrel'd model, and maybe on the regular one, too.

i have had to re-seat the bullets in those cartridges to a shorter, proper coal' in order to get proper chambering.   i don't see where these "long throats" are a reality.

by the way, both of these rifles have been very accurate, with the heavy-barrel'd rifle as accurate as you could possibly want.   i just don't see where NEF is producing a lot of problem rifles.   i think there are a few percent that may be problematic, but am guessing that Most of them are properly made.

mine were.

ss'
Yet a little while and the wicked man shall be no more.   Though you mark his place he will not be there.   Ps. 37.