Author Topic: Full-length size?  (Read 794 times)

Offline wsjones

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
Full-length size?
« on: February 03, 2006, 07:36:22 AM »
I've ordered my first Handi, in 7mm-08, along with a Gun Stocks Inc. stock, 100 new brass, and miscellaneous component bullets.

My usual drill with a new rifle/new brass is to full-length size the brass, load it all with an inexpensive bullet, and shoot then shoot them up sighting in the rifle and ensuring that everything works, and to have fire-formed brass.  Then I neck size and work up a hunting load, usually with a more expensive bullet (for the7-08 Handi I'm starting with 139 gr. Hornady DTSP Interlocks and hope to use 140 gr Nosler Accubonds for a hunting load).  My handloads are limited to the specific rifle for which they are developed.

My question is whether this is an accepted practice with the Handi action and 7-08 cartridge?  Or should I plan to full-length resize, in which case I can dispense with fire forming and just work up a hunting load.

Any insight is appreciated.  Thanks.  -WSJ

Offline 223Shooter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Full-length size?
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2006, 08:30:25 AM »
I only have a .223 in a NEF. I now full length size only this brass. With neck sizing, my groups were not good, BUT when I full length size, they grouped real nice. I will be purchasing a new NEF in a .308 very soon. I plan on full length sizing that cartridge as well. Shoot straight.........WJW.

Offline trotterlg

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (36)
Full-length size?
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2006, 10:55:22 AM »
Most likely you will need to full length size them.  Handi's generally allow the brass to streach a little more than a bolt gun does because of the design of the lockup.  You may also find you can only close the breach when you put the barss back in at the same clocking as it was fired, turn it 180 degrees and some will not fit.  I had this problem with a .243.  Larry
A gun is just like a parachute, if you ever really need one, nothing else will do.

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
Full-length size?
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2006, 11:12:00 AM »
I only full lenght resize my cases when they need it..most of the time it's partially sizing them works well..I'll neck size when ever I can...With new cases..I'll weigh them out and segregate them by weight..deburr the flashhole and straighten any necks that are dented,then load and fire them..and trim and neck size them after that till I need to just bump the shoulders back..factory 1x fired from my gun is easier..trim if needed deburr..clean as needed and neck size..and go shoot...

Sounds like you got a good way of doing it...Good Luck with it..and let us know how it turns out...and a picture of your stock as well :agree:

Mac
You can cry me a river... but...build me a bridge and then get over it...

Offline wsjones

• Avid Poster
Full-length size?
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2006, 01:46:18 PM »
Thanks all for the info and experiences.  I think I'll see if I can make it work with fire-formed, neck-sized brass since I've had good results with that technique on the bolt guns.  I've got the new brass full length sized and primed now and may load just a single box to shoot, re-size (neck), and reload to see if it works in my rifle.  I'll be following some of the break-in and chamber polishing methods described in the FAQ's.

The stock's looking nice, at least as far as it's gotten without a gun to put between the forend and the buttstock.  I'm kind of at a standstill 'til Wally World gets my gun in.  The "6 to 10 days" I heard in December when I ordered it has turned into the same number of weeks.  And no ETA available yet, apparently.  I just hope it gets here in time to still be a winter project!

Thanks again for the insight.  -WSJ

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Full-length size?
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2006, 01:58:55 PM »
Walmart's supplier, Sports South, still shows it out of stock. :(

http://www.internetguncatalog.com/
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline knight0334

• Trade Count: (3)
    • Pennsylvania Firearm Owners
Full-length size?
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2006, 01:59:00 PM »
just my opinion...

But wouldn't full length sizing keep things in spec more then neck sizing?  ..just seems like a half butted way to reload to me.  Doesn't take any more time to full length resize then it does neck only.  Plus the entire cartridge is within proper specs compared to the others in that reloaded lot.
RIP ~ Teeny: b.10/27/66 - d.07/03/07

Offline Fred M

• GBO Supporter
    • Fred The Reloader and Wildcatter
Full-length size?
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2006, 03:02:50 PM »
Mac and wsjones.
I never had any success with neck sizing with the four Handi's  I had and have. I know most FL dies size the brass too much and in an oversize chamber that is even worse.

I just bought a used set of 6x47 Redding Delux dies. These dies look like brand new. But do they ever size the cases down, far to much. The neck is sized 0.010" and then expanded up 0.004. Not good for the brass..

Well they FL die is going to Jim Carstensen to convert it to a bushing die and hone the body to size only 1 thou.
With a bushing die it is easy to change the neck tension and the expander button is not used.

The 6x47 could maybe be used with a neck die, but I don't have one. With a fitted bushing die there is no need too.

The nice thing about a bushing die is that you can bump the shoulder and only size part of the neck and leave the lower part as fired this will always center the cartridge in the chamber.
Fred M.
From Alberta Canada.

Offline MnMike

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
Full-length size?
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2006, 05:59:17 PM »
I never full length resize unless I have to. I have had great luck with the Lee collett dies. Obviously if the shell will not allow the gun to close the shell needs to be full length resized. I found that this seldom if ever happens. I also found that with neck sizing, there is much less trimming of cases.

JMHO

mike
Mike Ellestad

Offline Norseman112

• A Real Regular
Full-length size?
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2006, 06:57:35 PM »
I to neck size when ever I can, I also use the Lee collect die as well and have also had good luck with them. Neck sizeing dose seem cut  down on the triming on brass as well. Brass build up isn't much of an issue with this die at least in my experience. I will full lenght size them as needed.  Congrats and good luck with your new handi.

John

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
Full-length size?
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2006, 07:40:16 PM »
Fred:

I've gotten my best accuracy of my handloads by neck sizing....I've found you just have to experiment with the different styles to see what works best out of that paticular rifle and to your loading techniques..and see how it responds..

Mac
You can cry me a river... but...build me a bridge and then get over it...