Author Topic: PETA AT WORK?  (Read 938 times)

Offline Glanceblamm

• Trade Count: (0)
PETA AT WORK?
« on: July 15, 2004, 07:32:32 PM »
Subject is the tiger on the loose from a Flordia game ranch which recieved national attention.
Athorities were unable to capture it and ended up killing it.

Today's radio (7-15) said that a lady would be charged with cruelty to animals for volunteering the use of her five week old pig to the athorities to call in the tiger via the pig's squealing. She would also be charged with transporting the pig in the trunk of her car. (cruelty?)
This pig was meant for consumption by herself and or family.

OUTRAGEOUS
Hopefully the court's will show some common sense and throw this out.

Offline rickyp

• Trade Count: (19)
PETA AT WORK?
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2004, 04:12:14 AM »
who is going to charge her?

I saw the story about them shooting the tiger and it made me sick.
This was a pet tiger and posed very little treat to people. they had quite a few times to trank. it and get it back to the owner ( who owned it ligely) instead they shot it for no real good reason. I am by no means a tree hugger ( unless my deer stand slips out from under me :-D ) but I do not see why people want to just kill an  animal just to get rid of it.
In my state of Maryland one of the communitys had a very large population of geese about a week ago the authoritys rounded them up put them in a truck and "gassed them"  since they could get them in a trailer why not move them to a nother place and let them go or if they really wanted to kill them why not do it in such a way as they could still be used for food in homeless shelters?

Offline dukkillr

• The Daily Limit
PETA AT WORK?
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2004, 11:27:28 AM »
i read that they had intended to dart it but that the police killed it when it lunged... and ask Roy Horn if tame tigers pose no danger... they're still hardwired predators and if i were the cop tasked with recovering this idiots tiger there is no way in hell i'd do anything other than empty out on a tiger that "lunged at me"

Offline rickyp

PETA AT WORK?
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2004, 03:39:03 PM »
the owner was with the police with a dart gun, the news reported the police would not let him take the shot with the dart gun.

Any animal can turn, even a good old hunting dog. yes a tiger may do it a little quicker then a yellow lab

Offline Glanceblamm

PETA AT WORK?
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2004, 07:17:58 PM »
Dont really know who is going to bring the cruelty charge against the lady. In Chicago IL there is a group called the (animal police) who go to great lenght's to run in offenders to include handcuff's! This is pretty extreme in my opinion. Especially considering that the guy next door will probably get by with beating his wife.

About the Tiger: I thought that the police probably did the right thing taking the shot while they had a chance. The animal was probably capable of eluding everyone and setting up a (territory) of it's choice. It eventually would have been taken but may have pulled someone down if it was on it's own for very long.

Offline Wynn

• Contributor
PETA AT WORK?
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2004, 07:50:12 AM »
Northwest | North Central | Northeast | Southwest | South | FMRI | Statewide
Fishing Capital of the World

FWC CHAIRMAN: “OFFICER PREVENTED TRAGEDY”

July 15, 2004

Chairman Rodney Barreto of the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission (FWC) said today he stands firmly behind the FWC officer who, on Tuesday, fatally wounded an escaped 600-pound tiger.

Barreto said, “In this situation an officer’s highest priority is to protect human life, including his own, and that’s what the FWC officer did.”

FWC officials said they had hoped to rescue the tiger unharmed, but that was impossible when the situation abruptly turned extremely dangerous.

“Our officer was face to face with a instinct-driven predator that hadn’t eaten in at least 26 hours and was on the run,” Barreto said.  “The tiger, which has a history of attacking a human, pinned its ears back, bared its teeth and lunged at the officer.  When a tiger does that, chances are it’s going to kill you, and you have a fraction of a second to react.”

Barreto said he understands and sympathizes with those who mourn the cat’s death.

“But because of what our officer did, we are not mourning the loss of any local residents or responding officers today, and no livestock was lost,” Barreto said.  “It doesn’t matter how the cat was reared or treated in its home. There is a point where its predatory instincts take over, and human life and property are in clear and present danger.”

The FWC has a routine critical incident review in progress concerning the shooting, and officers are conducting a routine criminal investigation to determine the events surrounding the tiger’s escape from its Loxahatchee compound.

HPC/CR

Top of Page

Wildlife Alert! Information
MyFWC.com
Copyright © 1999-2004 State Of Florida
Privacy Statement | EEO/AA/ADA
American by birth; Southern by the Grace of God

Offline Redhawk1

• Life time NRA Supporter.
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (78)
PETA AT WORK?
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2004, 08:04:33 AM »
Quote from: rickyp
who is going to charge her?

I saw the story about them shooting the tiger and it made me sick.
This was a pet tiger and posed very little treat to people. they had quite a few times to trank. it and get it back to the owner ( who owned it ligely) instead they shot it for no real good reason. I am by no means a tree hugger ( unless my deer stand slips out from under me :-D ) but I do not see why people want to just kill an  animal just to get rid of it.
In my state of Maryland one of the communitys had a very large population of geese about a week ago the authoritys rounded them up put them in a truck and "gassed them"  since they could get them in a trailer why not move them to a nother place and let them go or if they really wanted to kill them why not do it in such a way as they could still be used for food in homeless shelters?

If it lunged at me, I would have done the same thing. Look at all the dogs that attack people. Or how many people get bit by dogs that the owner said it would not bite. Sure it my not harm the owner, but someone else it might. The tiger had bit another person before also.  JMHO
If  you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
Jesus Christ and the American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom

Endowment Life Member of the NRA
Life Member NA

Offline dukkillr

• The Daily Limit
PETA AT WORK?
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2004, 08:21:04 AM »
something lost in this debate is that there really isn't much of a good reason to own these animals to begin with.  Large predators just aren't meant to be in captivity... these things often end badly... if i remember this guy bought the tiger (and other animals) because he used to play tarzan in some B-rate movie... if that's not a stupid reason i can't think of one...

Offline dakotashooter2

• Trade Count: (2)
  • A Real Regular
PETA AT WORK?
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2004, 02:40:56 PM »
Gotta agree. To cage a large cat is far more cruel than getting a pig to squeal. They are at the top of the food chain for a reason.
Just another worthless opinion!!

Offline IndySKS

PETA AT WORK?
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2004, 12:17:10 PM »
Lets see if I totally understand this :
-You have an escaped Tiger
-a wild non domesticated animal
-it has been on the loose and hasn't ate anything in 26 hours.
-Probably a wee bit on the scared side from being loose and chased
-you use a 5 week old pig squealing to attract it and drive it in to a feeding frenzy
-while it's on it's hunt driven by instinct, you surround it with a bunch of people...the lady with the pig , cops. owner wildlife guys....yada yada..
-everyone is making noise and confusing the animal

Low and behold it lunges at a wildlife officer and has to be shot in self defence....??

Yup I understand now

STUPID HUMANS !

Offline jgalar

PETA AT WORK?
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2004, 02:54:48 PM »
If the tiger is/was so tame - why does the owner have or need a dart gun????

Offline rickyp

PETA AT WORK?
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2004, 03:36:51 PM »
ever try chasing your dog around the neighborhood?

Offline oso45-70

hunting and shooting general discussions
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2004, 05:26:04 PM »
INDYSKS
YEP, It took me a long time but i think i got it too, Stupid humans. One of the posters had it right, I don't think people have any Bizz with an animal that can eat you in one setting Thats my humble opinion.....Joe.......
LIFE NRA BENEFACTOR
LEAA LIFE MEMBER
GOA MEMBER
CCKBA MEMBER
AF & AM
NAHC LIFE
NMSSA MEMBER
ATA MEMBER

Profanity is the crutch of a crippled brain